If the halfshaft bearing cage breaks, the halfshaft may not be able to transmit engine power, causing a loss of drive or it can allow the vehicle to move while in the “Park” position. Either condition may increase the risk of a crash.
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2018 Jeep Cherokee all-wheel-drive vehicles. The bearing cage for the right front halfshaft assembly may not have been properly heat treated, possibly resulting in the bearing cage breaking and a potential halfshaft assembly failure.
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the front right halfshaft assemblies, free of charge. The recall began September 20, 2018. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler’s number for this recall is U78.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Dealer Service Instructions for:
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with all-wheeldrive built from October 30, 2017 through November 03, 2017 (MDH 103013 through 110311).
|IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also consider this requirement to apply to used vehicle inventory and should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.|
The right front halfshaft assembly on about 700 of the above vehicles was built with a bearing cage that was improperly heat treated which may result in the bearing cage breaking and a potential halfshaft assembly failure. A broken halfshaft bearing cage may lead to the loss of ability of the halfshaft assembly to transmit torque through the all-wheel-drive system which results in a loss of motive power if driving or the inability of the vehicle to maintain PARK if stationary. A sudden loss of motive power can cause vehicle crash without prior warning. An inability to maintain PARK may result in unintended vehicle movement which increases the risk of injury to vehicle occupants or bystanders, or can cause vehicle crash without prior warning.
Replace the right front halfshaft assembly on all affected vehicles.
|Each package contains the following components:|
|Nut, Lower Ball Joint||1|
|Nut, Hub Nut||1|
No parts return required for this campaign.
The following special tool is required to perform this repair:
||Press, Ball Joint|
||Front Hub Staking|
Replace Right Front Halfshaft
NOTE: Never handle the halfshaft assembly by the inner or outer boots. This can cause damage to the boot, which will allow contaminants to enter the Constant Velocity (CV) joint.
NOTE: The inner tripod joint is designed with a retention feature that prevents the tripod rollers from coming out of the inner joint housing up to a specific load. If this feature is overcome and the rollers are pulled past the retention feature the joint will lock up and no longer function properly. The entire halfshaft assembly must be replaced if this occurs.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Using a suitable punch, lift the two staked areas in the hub nut to avoid damaging the halfshaft (Figure 1).
- While a helper applies the brakes to keep the hub from rotating, remove and discard the hub nut from the halfshaft. The original hub nut is not reusable (Figure 1).
- Remove and save the nine engine belly pan fasteners and remove the belly pan, if equipped (Figure 2).
Figure 2 – Belly Pan
- Remove and discard the lower ball joint nut (Figure 3).
- Using the Ball Joint Press C-4150A separate the ball joint stud from the lower control arm (Figure 3).
Figure 3 – Lower Ball Joint
- Insert a pry bar in the opening between the control arm front mounting bolt and the front fascia support beam (Figure 4).
- Pry down on the control arm until the ball joint stud is clear of the control arm. Position the knuckle assembly to the side until it is clear of the ball joint stud. Slowly release the control arm.
Figure 4 – Lower Control Arm
- Using a pry bar or equivalent tool release the halfshaft from the transaxle and remove the halfshaft from the vehicle (Figure 5).
NOTE: Lightly apply grease to the splines prior to installation.
NOTE: When installing the right halfshaft on All Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles with a single speed Power Transfer Unit (PTU) and manual transaxle, use care when installing the halfshaft as the shaft must pass through multiple oil seals.
- Install the halfshaft into the transaxle and lightly twist until halfshaft spline slides all the way into the transaxle.
NOTE: If circlip is fully engaged, tripod joint will not be removable from transaxle by hand.
- Install a NEW lower ball joint to control arm nut and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. Plus 175° (25 N•m Plus 175°) (Figure 3).
Figure 6 – Crimp Halfshaft Hub Nut with Special Tool 10287
NOTE: Always install a NEW hub nut. The original hub nut is one time use only and must be discarded when removed.
- Install a NEW hub nut and while a helper applies the brakes, tighten the nut to 148 ft. lbs. (200 N•m).
NOTE: Do not use air tools on staking tool while staking hub nut.
- Using the Tool, Front Hub Staking 10287, align the leading cutting edge of Tool, Front Hub Staking 10287 with the top left side channel on axle as shown. Tighten fastener on Tool, Front Hub Staking 10287 with hand tools until the threads bottom out completely (Figure 6).
NOTE: The hub nut must be staked so that it looks similar to Figure 6. Both edges must be split and bent into the shape shown (Figure 6). The staking must be opposite of the direction to tighten the nut.
- Return the vehicle to the customer.
Completion Reporting and Reimbursement
Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims paid will be used by FCA to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.
Use the following labor operations number and time allowances:
|Replace right front halfshaft||02-U7-81-82||0.5 hours|
|Floor Plan Reimbursement||95-95-95-97||Calculate See Below|
Floor Plan Reimbursement represents the vehicle’s average daily allowance (see table below) multiplied by the number of days the vehicle was in dealer inventory and not available for sale. This reimbursement is limited to the number of days from the date of the stop sale to the date that the remedy was made available. Note: If the vehicle was received by your dealership (KZX date) AFTER the stop sale date, you will use the KZX date instead of the stop sale date. For this Recall, the stop sale was initiated on 08/02/2018 and the remedy was made available on 09/20/2018, therefore, the number of days cannot exceed 49 days.
NOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.
To view this notification on DealerCONNECT, select “Global Recall System” on the Service tab, then click on the description of this notification.
Owner Notification and Service Scheduling
All involved vehicle owners known to FCA are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is attached.
Vehicle Lists, Global Recall System, VIP and Dealer Follow Up
All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.
GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner’s name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission.
To use this system, click on the “Service” tab and then click on “Global Recall System.” Your dealer’s VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence.
Dealers must perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair.
Recall VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this recall only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.
If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Service and Parts District Manager.
Customer Services / Field Operations
FCA US LLC
This notice applies to your vehicle,
[Model Year and Model] VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX U78/NHTSA 18V-494
YOUR SCHEDULING OPTIONS
- Call the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403. An agent can confirm part availability and help schedule an appointment
- Visit recalls.mopar.com, scan the QR code below, or download the Mopar Owner’s Companion App.
Get access to recall notifications, locate your nearest dealer, and more through this website or Mopar Owner’s Companion App. You will be asked to provide your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to protect and verify your identity. The last eight characters of your VIN are provided above.
Please reference Safety Recall U78.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
Right Front Halfshaft
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
FCA has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain [2018 Jeep Cherokee] vehicles.
It is extremely important to take steps now to repair your vehicle to ensure the safety of you and your passengers.
WHY DOES MY VEHICLE NEED REPAIRS?
The right front halfshaft assembly on your vehicle  was built with a bearing cage that was improperly heat treated which may result in the bearing cage breaking and a potential halfshaft assembly failure. A broken halfshaft bearing cage may lead to the loss of ability of the halfshaft assembly to transmit torque through the all-wheel-drive system which results in a loss of motive power if driving or the inability of the vehicle to maintain PARK if stationary. A sudden loss of motive power can cause vehicle crash without prior warning. An inability to maintain PARK may result in unintended vehicle movement which increases the risk of injury to vehicle occupants or bystanders, or can cause vehicle crash without prior warning.
HOW DO I RESOLVE THIS IMPORTANT SAFETY ISSUE?
FCA will repair your vehicle  free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will replace the right front halfshaft assemblies on all affected vehicles. In addition, your dealer will require your vehicle for proper check-in, preparation, and check-out during your visit. Your time is important to us; please be aware that these steps may require more time. The estimated repair time is two hours. We recommend that you schedule a service appointment to minimize your inconvenience. Please bring this letter with you to your dealership.
WHAT IF I ALREADY PAID TO HAVE THIS REPAIR COMPLETED?
If you have already experienced this specific condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit your reimbursement request online.  Once we receive and verify the required documents, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days. If you have had previous repairs performed and/or already received reimbursement, you may still need to have the recall repair performed.
We apologize for any inconvenience, but are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Customer Assistance/Field Operations
Mr. Mrs. Customer
1234 Main Street
Hometown, MI 48371
 If you no longer own this vehicle, please help us update our records. Call the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403 to update your information.
 If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, or you can call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-4249153), or go to safercar.gov.
 You can also mail in your original receipts and proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement consideration: FCA Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8004, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Recall Reimbursement.
Note to lessors receiving this recall notice: Federal regulation requires that you forward this recall notice to the lessee within 10 days.
Owner Notification Letter
Safety Recall Advanced Communication – U78
August 9, 2018
Latest Recalls Documents
- Genuine OEM Dodge/Mopar factory fit part
- The approved automatic transmission fluid for all vehicles factory filled with ATF+4.
- Do not use this transmission fluid for either Crossfire or Sprinter automatic transmissions.
- Caution: This product can expose you to chemicals which might cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
- Specially developed
- Provides excellent lubrication under high load, high heat
- Factory filled ATF+4
- Genuine OEM Chrysler fluid
- Fill for life quality fluid
- For best performance, follow the manufacturer's recommendations in your vehicle owner’s manual.
- Genuine OEM Dodge/Mopar factory fit part
- Genuine OEM Dodge/Mopar factory
- Full Synthetic formula exceeds ATF+3 requirements
- Certified and approved for all Chrysler cars and trucks that require ATF+4, Mopar ATF+3, ATF+2, ATF+2 Type 7176, or ATF+
- Technologically advanced, full synthetic formulation provides superior transmission life
- Engineered with superior base oils to ensure superb low and high temperature performance
- Meets or Exceeds Fiat Chrysler ATF+4 requirements
- Fully compatible with all transmissions that require Mopar ATF+, Mopar ATF+2 and Mopar ATF+3
- Improved thermal stability for longer fluid life
- Improved viscosity stability for consistent transmission operation
- Specific frictional properties for smooth clutch engagement
- Contains special additives to prevent rust corrosion and wear for longer life
- Formulated With Full-Synthetic Base Stocks And Advanced Additive Technology To Meet The Challenging Demands Of Automatic Transmissions.
- Enhanced Anti-Shudder Protection For Smooth Shifting And Maximum Power Transfer
- Developed With Anti-Wear Technology To Help Improve Transmission Durability
- Engineered With A Proprietary Blend Of Base Oils And Advanced Additives To Provide Better Oil Flow At Low Temperatures And Greater Film Protection At Higher Temperatures
- (1) MOPAR ATF+4, 1. 3 Gallon Bottle
- Part number: 68218058AC
- Package Weight: 4.241 kilograms
- Included components: 68218058AC
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.