|“This site contains affiliate links for which OEMDTC may be compensated”
A vehicle stall increases the risk of a crash.
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured September 17, 2010, to August 19, 2013, and equipped with a 3.6, 5.7 or 6.4 liter engine, and 2012-2013 Dodge Durango vehicles manufactured January 18, 2011, to August 19, 2013, and equipped with a 3.6 or 5.7 liter engine.
A vehicle stall increases the risk of a crash.
The recall began on August 7, 2015.
Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403.
Chrysler’s number for this recall is R09.
Note: This recall is an expansion of recall 14V-530.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Dealer Service Instructions for:
Safety Recall R09 / NHTSA 15V-115 Fuel Pump Relay
|2012 – 2013
|Jeep Grand Cherokee
IMPORTANT: Many of the vehicles within the above build period have already been inspected or repaired and, therefore, have been excluded from this recall.
|IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.
The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) on about 335,000 of the above vehicles contains an internal fuel pump relay that could operate intermittently or fail without warning. An intermittent or failed fuel pump relay could cause the engine to stall while driving and cause a crash without warning.
|External Fuel Pump Relay Package
|Each package contains the following components:
|Relay, Fuel Pump
|Strap, Plastic Tie
Each dealer to whom vehicles in the recall were assigned will receive enough External Fuel Pump Relay Packages to service about 20% of those vehicles.
The following special tools are required to perform this repair:
|Wire splice crimp tool
Additional wire splice crimp tools can be purchased, at dealer expense, by contacting Mopar Essential Tools and Service Equipment at 1-855-298-2687 or www.MoparEssentialTools.com during regular business hours. Contact Mopar Essential Tools regarding issues with any tools or equipment purchased or supplied through the Mopar tool and equipment program.
A. Inspect for External Fuel Pump Relay
- Open hood.
- Inspect for an external fuel pump relay (Figure 1):
- If there is an external fuel pump relay installed, no further action is required. Return the vehicle to the customer.
Figure 1 – Inspect for External Fuel Pump Relay
B. Install External Fuel Pump Relay
- Position the passenger seat fully forward.
- Open the battery access cover located under the passenger front seat and disconnect the negative battery cable (Figure 2).
Figure 2 – Battery Access
- Remove and save the B+ cable terminal retaining nut.
Figure 3 – B+ Cable Terminal
Figure 4 – TIPM Release Tabs
- Unplug the 50-way electrical connector from the bottom of the TIPM (Cavity “A”) (Figure 5).
Figure 5 – TIPM 50-Way Electrical Connector
- Locate the brown wire in cavity number 40 of the 50-way electrical connector (Figure 6).
- Cut the brown wire one inch (25 mm) from the 50-way electrical connector (Figure 7).
- Install shrink tube to the connector side brown wire to insulate the wire end. This wire will no longer be used (Figure 8).
- Using the following procedure, splice the brown wire on the wire harness to the brown wire on the new fuel pump relay harness:
a. Strip approximately ½ inch (13 mm) of insulation from the end of the brown wire on the new fuel pump relay wire and the original brown wire.
b. Place a piece of black shrink tube, provided in the repair kit, over the cut brown wire.
c. Using the supplied brass splice band clamp and crimp tool 10042, crimp the brown wire on the wire harness side to the brown wire on the new fuel pump relay harness (Figure 9).
d. Solder the brass splice band clamp with rosin core solder.
- Carefully plug the 50-way electrical connector into the bottom of the TIPM.
CAUTION: Be sure that the 50-way connector lock bar is fully engaged.
- Unplug the 40-way electrical connector located on the bottom side of the TIPM (Figure 10).
Figure 10 – TIPM 40-Way Electrical Connector
- Carefully remove and save the 40-way electrical connector wire cover located on the wire side of the connector (Figure 11).
NOTE: The plastic tie strap that holds the wire harness to the wire cover must be cut off and discarded (Figure 10).
- Locate the blue (with an orange trace) wire in the 40-way electrical connector (Figure 12).
- Cut the blue (with an orange trace) wire one inch (25 mm) from the 40-way electrical connector (Figure 13).
- Install shrink tube to the connector side blue (with an orange trace) wire to insulate the wire end. This wire will no longer be used (Figure 13).
- Using the following procedure, splice the blue (with an orange trace) wire on the wire harness to the blue wire on the new fuel pump relay harness:
a. Strip approximately ½ inch (13 mm) of insulation from the end of the blue wire on the new fuel pump relay wire and the original blue (with an orange trace) wire (Figure 14).
b. Place the black shrink tube provided in the repair kit over the cut wire (Figure 14).
c. Using the supplied brass splice band clamps and crimp tool 10042, crimp the blue wire (with orange trace) on the wire harness side to the blue wire on the fuel pump relay wire harness (Figure 15).
d. Solder the brass splice band clamp with rosin core solder (Figure 15).
Figure 14 – Strip Wire and Install Shrink Tube
- Remove and save the 40-way electrical connector green plastic terminal lock (Figure 16).
- Locate the pink (with green trace) wire in cavity 38 of the 40-way electrical connector (Figure 17).
- Carefully remove the pink (with a green trace) from the 40-way connector (Figure 18).
NOTE: Use Miller Tool 6680-2PA terminal pick, or equivalent, to remove the wire terminal from the 40-way electrical connector.
- Strip approximately ½ inch (13 mm) of insulation off the pink (with green trace) wire without cutting the wire (Figure 19).
- Using the following procedure, splice the pink (with a green trace) wire to the pink wire on the new fuel pump relay harness:
a. Strip approximately ¾ inch (20 mm) of insulation from the end of the pink wire on the new fuel pump relay wire.
b. Wrap the pink wire from the new fuel pump relay wire harness around the pink (with green trace) wire at the location the insulation was removed (Figure 20).
c. Using the supplied brass splice band clamp and crimp tool 10042, crimp the fuel pump wire harness pink wire to the pink (with a green trace) wire on the vehicle wire harness (Figure 20).
d. Solder the brass splice band clamp with rosin core solder.
Figure 21 – Install Shrink Tube
- Carefully install the wire terminal for the pink (with green trace) wire back into the same cavity (cavity 38) in the 40-way electrical connector that it was removed from (Figure 22).
- Install the 40-way electrical connector green plastic terminal lock (Figure 16).
- Install the 40-way electrical connector wire cover.
- Install a plastic tie strap to hold the wire harness in place on the back side of the 40-way electrical connector (Figure 23).
Figure 23 – Install Back Cover and Tie Strap
- Plug the 40-way electrical connector into the bottom of the TIPM assembly.
CAUTION: Be sure the 40-way electrical connector lock bar is fully engaged.
- Mount the new external fuel pump relay to the vehicle core support. Use the existing hole in the core support and the supplied plastic push pin (Figure 24).
- Connect the wire eyelet on the orange wire of the new fuel pump relay wire harness to the TIPM B+ stud (Figure 25).
- Install the B+ cable terminal retaining nut. Tighten the nut to 14 ft. lbs. (19 N·m) (Figure 25).
- Using the provided plastic tie straps, secure the new fuel pump wire harness to the existing vehicle wire harness as required.
- Carefully install the TIPM access cover (Figure 26).
Figure 26 – Install TIPM Cover
- Connect the negative battery cable to the negative battery terminal on the battery and close the battery access cover.
- Return the passenger seat to its original location.
- Return the vehicle to the customer.
Completion Reporting and Reimbursement
Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims submitted will be used by FCA to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.
Use the following labor operation number and time allowance:
|Inspect for external fuel pump relay
|Inspect and install external fuel pump relay
Add the cost of the recall parts package plus applicable dealer allowance to your claim.
NOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.
To view this notification on DealerCONNECT, select “Global Recall System” on the Service tab, then click on the description of this notification.
Owner Notification and Service Scheduling
All involved vehicle owners known to FCA are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is attached.
Enclosed with each owner letter is an Owner Notification postcard to allow owners to update our records if applicable.
Dealers are encouraged to consider alternative scheduling and servicing approaches for this recall. This repair does not require hoists or other full service facility special equipment and is a FCA Mobile Service approved repair.
Vehicle Lists, Global Recall System, VIP and Dealer Follow Up
All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.
GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner’s name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission.
To use this system, click on the “Service” tab and then click on “Global Recall System.” Your dealer’s VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence.
Dealers must perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair.
Recall VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this recall only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.
If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Service and Parts District Manager.
Customer Services / Field Operations
FCA US LLC
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
R09 / NHTSA 15V-115
This notice applies to your vehicle (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Dear: (Name)
|The problem is…
|The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) on your vehicle contains an internal fuel pump relay that could operate intermittently or fail without warning. An intermittent or failed fuel pump relay could cause the engine to stall while driving and cause a crash without warning.
|What your dealer will do…
|FCA will repair your vehicle free of charge. To do this, your dealer will install an external fuel pump relay. The work will take about one hour to complete. However, additional time may be necessary depending on service schedules.
|What you must do to ensure your safety…
|Simply contact your Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge or RAM dealer right away to schedule a service appointment. Ask the dealer to hold the parts for your vehicle or to order them before your appointment. Please bring this letter with you to your dealer.
|If you need help…
|If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the FCA Group Recall Assistance Center at either recalls.mopar.com or 1-800-853-1403.
Please help us update our records by filling out the attached prepaid postcard if any of the conditions listed on the card apply to you or your vehicle. If you have further questions go to recalls.mopar.com.
If you have already experienced this specific condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit your reimbursement request online or you can mail your original receipts and proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement consideration: FCA Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8004, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Recall Reimbursement. Once we receive and verify the required documents, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days. If you’ve had previous repairs and/or reimbursement you may still need to have the recall repair performed on your vehicle.
If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, or you can call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to safercar.gov.
We’re sorry for any inconvenience, but we are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Customer Services / Field Operations
FCA US LLC
Note to lessors receiving this recall: Federal regulation requires that you forward this recall notice to the lessee within 10 days.
- 【Fitment】fit for Chrysler Town and Country 2008-2016, fit for VW Routan 2011-2012, fit for Jeep Grand Cherokee 2011-2013, fit for Wrangler 2007-2016, fit for Liberty 2007-2012, fit for Grand Caravan 2008-2016, fit for Dodge Ram 1500 2500 3500 2011-2012, fit for Durango 2011-2013, fit for Journey 2009-2010, fit for Nitro 2007-2011, fit for Grand Caravan 2008-2016.
- 【Function】When the fuel pump of your vehicle is defective, can you use this TIPM bypass cable to bypass the defective TIPM relay and supply power to the fuel pump from another power source, which will perfectly solve the problem of no start or battery depletion of Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler/Volkswagen.
- 【How we solve the problem】 No skills are required if you can open the fuse box and your vehicle will be running again in less than 5 minutes.If you have a repair facility, having cables on hand can quickly test TIPM or fuel pump relay problems in Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Volkswagen vehicles without starting or battery drain symptoms.
- 【Features】The 400-strand silicone-jacketed wire allows these cables to be routed easily within the confines of the fuse box without worrying about pinching wires or straining the fuse socket , We use the highest quality 14 AWG silicone, high temperature (200c), for the best cables on the market.
- 【About us】Communication is the best way to solve the problem. If you have any question after purchasing, please contact us in time, before opening return or case.
- TIPM Bypass Cable Fits for: 2007-2016 Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler/VW, more information please check the description below.
- Fuel Pump Relay Kit Function: This TIPM bypass cable allow you to bypass the defective TIPM relay to provide power to the fuel pump from an another power source (like the M37 run/start fuse slot), which means your vehicle can still be started even with a defective fuel pump, perfectly solve the Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler/VW no start or dead battery problems.
- Well Performance: Made of high-quality material, continuous Relay Bypass Wire are made to meet the standard 14 AWG wire/20 amps, which provide safety as well as quality.
- Easy Installation: No special skill required, watching a video on YouTube in minutes and you will be familiar with it.
- Package Includes: 1 piece of bypass cables , 5 pieces of fuse adapter and 1 piece Fuse Fuse Puller
- For Chrysler Town & Country 2008-2016
- For Jeep Grand Cherokee 2011-2013, Wrangler 2007-2016, Liberty 2007-2012
- For Dodge Grand Caravan 2008-2016, Ram 1500 2500 3500 2011-2012, Durango 2011-2013, Journey 2009-2010, Nitro 2007-2011
- For VW Routan 2011-2012
- Package Contents: 1x Fuel Pump Relay Bypass Cable Kit
- [Vehicle Fitment]: Compatible with Chrysler Town & Country 2008 V6 3.3L Gas, Town & Country 2008-2010 V6 3.8L/4.0L Gas; Compatible with Dodge Grand Caravan 2008-2010 V6 3.8L/4.0L Gas; Compatible with Volkswagen Routan 2009-2010 V6 3.8L/4.0L Gas
- [Reference Number]: 2202-496280, 68030875AA, 68030875AB, 68030875AD, F3246A, SP7055M, RL030875AB, E7235M, FG0887, P76670M
- [Package Contents]: 1 x Fuel Pump Assembly, Packaging Type: Box
- [Related Parts]: ① Fuel Pump; ② Seal Ring; ③ Fuel Sending Unit; ④ Strainer
- [Customer Support]: 1 Year Unlimited-mileage Quality Guarantee; With being sturdy and brand-new, this fuel pump assembly is the ideal replacement featured with its stable performance on contributing to smooth acceleration and economical fuel consumption. Please get in touch with us at any time if you need any help
- Fitment: Fit for Chrysler Town and Country 2008-2016 ; Fit for Jeep Grand Cherokee 2011-2013 ; Fit for Dodge Grand Caravan 2008-2016 ; Fit for Dodge Ram 1500, 2500, or 3500 2011-2012 ; Fit for Dodge Durango 2011-2013 ; Fit for Jeep Wrangler 2007-2016 ; Fit for Dodge Journey 2009-2010 ; Fit for Jeep Liberty 2007-2012 ; Fit for VW Routa 2011-2012 ; Fit for Dodge Nitro 2007-2011 .
- TIPM and Fuel Relay bypass cables are a simple way to test or bypass faulty fuel pump relay problems on many 2004 and newer for Dodge/for Jeep/for Chrysler vehicles. If your vehicle acts like it's out of gas and/or your fuel pump continues pumping after turning the vehicle off (draining your battery), you likely have a faulty fuel pump relay.
- Our TIPM Fuel Pump Relay Bypass works with most 2004-2016 Dodge Jeep Chrysler and some VW models. We provide the best cable on the market using the highest quality 14 AWG Silicone, High Temp (200c). Our 400 Strand Silicon Jacket wire allows these cables to route easily within the confines of your fuse box without having to worry about pinched wires or straining your fuse sockets. Our 14 AWG wire is upgraded to provide 20 amp capacity. Don't settle for a hacked solution to save a dollar or two.
- Our cable bypasses the TIPM/fuel pump relay saving hundreds of dollars in repair or replacement! No skills are necessary if you can open your fuse box and you'll have your vehicle running again in less than 5 minutes.
- About us : FZJDSD provides a one-year quality guarantee. Within one year from the date of your purchase, if there is any problem with the product, please contact us directly, and we will provide you with free return and exchange processing!
- Compatibility: The TIPM Bypass Cable is compatible with a range of Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, and VW models manufactured between 2007 and 2016.
- Functionality: Our fuel pump relay product is designed to bypass a defective TIPM bypass cable relay kit and provide power to the fuel pump from an alternative power source (such as the M37 run/start fuse splitter slot). This allows your vehicle to start even with a defective fuel pump, effectively resolving the issue of no start or dead battery problems commonly encountered in Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, and VW models. Our product is identified by the part number cbwpr091aa.
- Quality: Our TIPM Bypass Cable is made of high-quality materials and uses continuous cables that meet the standard 14 AWG wire/20 amps. This ensures both safety and quality performance for your vehicle.
- Ease of Installation: Our product is designed for easy installation and requires no special skills. You can watch a video on YouTube in minutes to familiarize yourself with the process of installing the fuse jumper.
- Customer Service: We are committed to providing professional consulting services to our customers. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will respond to your inquiry within 24 hours and provide the necessary assistance.
- [Feature] The fuel pump relay wiring kit acts as an "automatic switch" that controls the operation of a high-current fuel pump using a low-current signal.It functions as an automatic regulator,safety protector,circuit changer,and switch.This ensures efficient and reliable operation of the fuel pump,enhancing the overall performance of your vehicle.
- [Compatible With] The fuel pump relay wiring kit compatible with 2011-2013 Dodge Durango;2011 Dodge Grand Caravan;2011 Chrysler Town & Country;2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee;2011 Ram 1500;
- [OE Number] 68269523AD 04727370AA 4727370AA CBWPR091AA CSZDV621AA CBP4P541AB Please check the part numbers whether it suits your vehicle before purchasing.
- [Easy Installation] The wiring kit is designed for easy installation,allowing for a hassle-free replacement process.With its plug-and-play design,you can quickly and conveniently install the kit,saving time and effort.
- [Warranty] 1 Year Warranty,No Reason Return in 30 Days,our products undergo strict quality inspection before leaving the factory.
- Wide Compatibility: Our Premium Fuel Pump Relay Wiring Kit is designed to fit a range of vehicles, including Dodge Durango (2011-2013), Chrysler Town & Country (2011), Dodge Grand Caravan (2011), Grand Cherokee (2011), and Ram 1500 (2011).
- Replace with Confidence: It’s a direct replacement for CBWPR091AA, CSZDV621AA, CBP4P541AB, 68269523AD, 04727370AA, and 4727370AA.
- Dependable Fuel Supply: Our Fuel Pump Relay Wiring Kit ensures a consistent and dependable connection, guaranteeing your vehicle’s fuel system performs flawlessly, providing you with peace of mind during your travels.
- Thoughtful Design: We’ve meticulously crafted this wiring kit to seamlessly match specific vehicle models, simplifying the installation process, and ensuring a hassle-free experience.
- Reliable Performance: Count on our Fuel Pump Relay Wiring Kit to ensure your fuel pump operates smoothly and reliably whenever you need it.
Last update on 2024-02-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product presentation was made with AAWP plugin.