January 11, 2018
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V048
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Components FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 1,242
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and, as necessary, replace the fuel line, free of charge. The recall began February 23, 2018. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler’s number for this recall is U02.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Dealer Service Instructions for:
Safety Recall U02 / NHTSA 18V-048 Fuel Supply Jumper Tube
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 6.2L V8 supercharged engine (sales code ESD) built from October 11, 2017 through December 11, 2017 (MDH 101105 through 121117).
|IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also consider this requirement to apply to used vehicle inventory and should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.|
The fuel line on about 1,200 of the above vehicles could separate resulting in an engine stall and/or a potential engine compartment fire. Either of these conditions could increase the likelihood of occupant injury, and an engine stall can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning.
The fuel supply jumper tube must be inspected and replaced as needed.
Dealers should attempt to minimize customer inconvenience by placing the owner in a loaner vehicle if inspection determines that fuel supply jumper tube replacement is required and the vehicle must be held overnight.
|Jumper, Fuel Supply||68305419AB|
Ordering of part number 68305419AB is restricted by VIN. Due to the small number of involved vehicles expected to require fuel supply jumper tube replacement, no parts will be distributed initially. The fuel supply jumper tube should be ordered only after inspection determines that repair is required. Very few vehicles are expected to require fuel supply jumper tube replacement.
NOTE: To order part number 68305419AB, dealer must send an email to [email protected] provide the “VIN” the “Dealer Code” and state “vehicle inspection has determined that fuel supply jumper replacement is required”.
Save the packaging from new part to be reused for part return. Return of the old part is required for this campaign. Refer to the “Parts Return” section for part return instructions.
This recall part will be subject to parts return.
Part Return Requirements
Hold the part until the claim is paid. Once the claim is paid, go to the “Parts” tab and click on the “Return Material Utility” in “DealerCONNECT”. In the “Disposition” tab it will give a disposition of “Return”. In the “Tickets” tab under “UPS ground”, the claim will be listed. Select the ticket and follow the process to generate a “Part Return Document”, “UPS Shipping Label” and “UPS Receipt”. Place the failed part and the Part Return Document inside the box the new part came in. Attach the UPS Shipping label on the outside of the box and ship to:
Quality Engineering Center
2021 Executive Hills Blvd
Auburn Hills, MI 48326
The following special tools are required to perform this repair:
A. Fuel Supply Jumper Tube Inspection
- Locate the fuel supply jumper quickconnect fitting near the cowl behind the left side of the engine (Figure 1).
- Lift the heater hose out of the way in order to clearly view the area where the fuel supply jumper tube is attached to the quick-connect fitting (Figure 2).
- Inspect the fuel supply jumper tube connection between the hose and quickconnect fitting. The hose must cover all the barbs on the quick connect fitting and hose end must be visible beyond the edge of the retention cuff. If the hose does not cover all barbs and/or is not visible beyond the edge of the retention cuff, then the fuel supply jumper tube must be replaced (Figure 3).
- GOOD – Fuel supply jumper tube hose covers all barbs of the quick-connect fitting and hose end is visible beyond the retention cuff. Position the heater hose back into its original location and close the engine compartment hood. This recall inspection is complete; claim the inspection LOP and return the vehicle to the customer.
- BAD – Fuel supply jumper tube hose does not cover all barbs of the quickconnect fitting and/or hose end is not visible beyond the retention cuff. The fuel supply jumper tube must be replaced.
Proceed to Section B. Fuel Supply Jumper Tube Replacement.
B. Fuel Supply Jumper Tube Replacement
- Open the liftgate and raise the load floor panel, then locate the fueling funnel stored with the spare tire (Figure 4).
- Open the fuel door and insert the fueling funnel into the fuel filler neck to release any fuel tank pressure (Figure 5).
- Take note of the customer’s preferred seat position then move the front passenger seat fully forward.
- Remove the battery compartment cover.
- Start and run the engine until it stalls.
- Attempt restarting the engine until it will no longer run.
- Return the ignition push button to the “OFF” position.
- Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable terminal from the vehicle battery. For vehicles equipped with a supplemental battery, also disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable terminal from the supplemental battery.
- Gently lift the engine covers vertically to release the engine cover grommets from the ball studs. Then remove the engine covers. The right-side engine cover will need to be slid forward toward the front of the engine to clear the coolant pipes (Figure 7).
Figure 7 – Engine Covers
- Place a rag or towel below the fuel supply jumper quick-connect fitting where it connects to the fuel supply line located near the cowl behind the left side of the engine (Figure 8).
WARNING: The catalytic converter is located directly below this fuel connection. To prevent a possible fire, ensure that the catalytic converter is not excessively hot before disconnecting this fuel connection.
- Perform the following steps to release the fuel supply jumper quickconnect fitting from the fuel supply line (Figure 9).
NOTE: This type of quick-connect fitting is equipped with a redundant latch and a single push button that releases the internal latch located in the quick-connect fitting. Special tools are not required for removal (Figure 10).
CAUTION: Do not pry or pull up on the push button as damage to the latch of the quick-connect fitting will occur.
a. Pull the redundant latch out away from the quick-connect fitting (Figure 10).
Figure 9 – Quick-Connect Fitting
Figure 10 – Quick-Connect Fitting
- Place a rag or towel below the fuel supply jumper quick-connect fitting where it connects to the fuel rail located near the cowl on the right side of the engine (Figure 11).
- Perform the procedure in Step 13 to release the fuel supply jumper quick-connect fitting from the fuel rail (Figure 11).
- Release the fuel supply jumper tube from the “C” clip retainer at the back of the engine (Figure 12).
Figure 11 – Fuel Supply Jumper QuickConnect Fitting Right Side of Engine
- Remove the fuel supply jumper tube from the engine then retain for part return. The fuel supply jumper tube is subject to parts return.
- Position the new fuel supply jumper tube to the engine.
- Install the fuel supply jumper tube into the “C” clip retainer at the back of the engine (Figure 12).
- Ensure that the fuel supply line and fuel rail connections are clean and free of debris before connecting the fuel supply jumper tube.
- Connect the fuel supply jumper tube to the fuel rail, then depress the redundant latch to secure the quick-connect fitting to the fuel rail (Figure 11).
- Connect the fuel supply jumper tube to the fuel supply line, then depress the redundant latch to secure the quick-connect fitting to the fuel supply line (Figure 8).
- Connect the negative battery cable terminal to the battery then tighten the clamp pinch-bolt hex nut to 5.5 N·m (50 In. Lbs.). For vehicles equipped with a supplemental battery, also connect the negative battery cable terminal to the supplemental battery (Figure 6).
- Do not depress the brake pedal. Without starting the engine, place the ignition push button in the “RUN” position which will activate the fuel pump to pressurize the fuel system. Return the ignition push button to the “OFF” position.
NOTE: Repeat Step 24 three times to ensure that the fuel system is fully pressurized.
- Inspect the fuel supply jumper tube connections for any leaks. Correct any fuel leaks before continuing with the next step of this procedure.
- Position the engine covers with grommets over the ball studs (Figure 13). The right-side engine cover will need to be slid rearward toward the cowl to clear the coolant pipes.
Figure 13 – Engine Cover Studs
- Using hands only, gently push down on the engine covers until the grommets engage with the ball studs (Figure 7). Ensure grommet and ball stud retention by lightly lifting up around the edges of the engine cover to make certain that the cover is not loose and that all of the grommets are securely engaged.
- Remove the fueling funnel from the fuel filler neck then close the fuel door (Figure 5).
- Return the fueling funnel to the storage area near the spare tire. Lower the load floor panel into position, then close the liftgate (Figure 4).
- Install the battery compartment cover.
- Return the front passenger seat to its original customer preferred position.
- Connect the wiTECH micro pod II to the vehicle data link connector.
- Place the ignition in the “RUN” position.
- Open the wiTECH 2.0 website.
- Enter your “User id” your “Password” and your “Dealer Code”, then select “Finish” at the bottom of the screen.
- Starting at the “Vehicle Selection” screen, select the vehicle.
- From the “Topology” screen, select the “All DTCs” tab, then view and clear all DTCs.
- Place the ignition to the “OFF” position and remove the wiTECH micro pod II from the vehicle.
- Return the vehicle to the customer.
- Complete the proof of correction form for California residents.
Complete Proof of Correction Form for California Residents
This recall is subject to the State of California Registration Renewal/Emissions Recall Enforcement Program. Complete a Vehicle Emission Recall Proof of Correction Form (Form No. 81-016-1053) and supply it to vehicle owners residing in the state of California for proof that this recall has been performed when they renew the vehicle registration.
Completion Reporting and Reimbursement
Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims paid will be used by FCA to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.
Use one of the following labor operation numbers and time allowances:
|Inspect fuel supply jumper tube for separation||14-U0-21-81||0.2 hours|
|Inspect and replace fuel supply jumper tube||14-U0-21-82||0.5 hours|
Add the cost of the recall part plus applicable dealer allowance to your claim.
NOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.
To view this notification on DealerCONNECT, select “Global Recall System” on the Service tab, then click on the description of this notification.
Owner Notification and Service Scheduling
All involved vehicle owners known to FCA are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is attached.
Vehicle Lists, Global Recall System, VIP and Dealer Follow Up
All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.
GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner’s name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission.
To use this system, click on the “Service” tab and then click on “Global Recall System.” Your dealer’s VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence.
Dealers must perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair.
Recall VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this recall only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.
If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Service and Parts District Manager.
Customer Services / Field Operations
FCA US LLC
This notice applies to your vehicle,
[Model Year and Model] VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
YOUR SCHEDULING OPTIONS
- RECOMMENDED OPTION Call your authorized Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep® / RAM Dealership
- Call the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403. An agent can confirm part availability and help schedule an appointment
- Visit recalls.mopar.com, scan the QR code below, or download the Mopar Owner’s Companion App.
Get access to recall notifications, locate your nearest dealer, and more through this website or Mopar Owner’s Companion App. You will be asked to provide your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to protect and verify your identity. The last eight characters of your VIN are provided above.
DEALERSHIP INSTRUCTIONS Please reference Safety Recall U02.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
Fuel Supply Jumper Tube
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
FCA has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain [2018 Model Year Jeep® Grand Cherokee Trackhawk] vehicles equipped with a 6.2L V8 supercharged engine.
It is extremely important to take steps now to repair your vehicle to ensure the safety of you and your passengers.
WHY DOES MY VEHICLE NEED REPAIRS?
The fuel line on your vehicle  could separate resulting in an engine stall and/or a potential engine compartment fire. Either of these conditions could increase the likelihood of occupant injury, and an engine stall can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning.
HOW DO I RESOLVE THIS IMPORTANT SAFETY ISSUE?
FCA will repair your vehicle  free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will inspect the fuel supplyjumper tube and replace it as needed. In addition, your dealer will require your vehicle for proper check-in, preparation, and check-out during your visit. Your time is important to us; please be aware that these steps may require more time. The estimated repair time is one hour. We recommend that you schedule a service appointment to minimize your inconvenience. Please bring this letter with you to your dealership.
The State of California requires the completion of emission recall repairs prior to vehicle registration renewal. Your dealer will provide you with a Vehicle Emission Recall Proof of Correction Form after the Emission Recall service is performed. Be sure to save this form since the California Department of Motor Vehicles may require that you supply it as proof that the Emission Recall has been performed.
WHAT IF I ALREADY PAID TO HAVE THIS REPAIR COMPLETED?
If you have already experienced this specific condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit your reimbursement request online.  Once we receive and verify the required documents, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days. If you have had previous repairs performed and/or already received reimbursement, you may still need to have the recall repair performed.
We apologize for any inconvenience, but are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Mr. Mrs. Customer
1234 Main Street
Hometown, MI 48371
 If you no longer own this vehicle, please help us update our records. Call the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403 to update your information.
 If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, or you can call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-4249153), or go to safercar.gov.
 You can also mail in your original receipts and proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement consideration: FCA Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8004, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Recall Reimbursement.
Note to lessors receiving this recall notice: Federal regulation requires that you forward this recall notice to the lessee within 10 days.
1 Affected Product
8 Associated Documents
Remedy Instructions and TSB – February 2018
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Recall 573 Report-Amendment 1
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – 01/18/2018 New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – U02
Defect Notice 573 Report
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2018-3
Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2018-4
Latest Recalls Documents
- Fit Type: Vehicle Specific
- Package Dimensions: 7.23 L x 4.93 H x 5.75 W (inches)
- Package Weight : 8 pounds
- Country of Origin : United States
- Cleans, restores, protects the entire fuel system (fuel injectors, carburetors, intake valves and combustion chambers)
- Restores: Lost power, acceleration, lost fuel economy, and operation of the fuel gauge sensor
- Reduces: Rough idle, engine surge, hesitation, and spark plus fouling
- Improves: Cold start performance, and fuel stability for up to one year
- The product is 5, 25 oz, fuel treatment, for gasoline lpg and diesel fuel, contains no alcohol/solvents/kerosene/diesel fuel, lubricates rings and cylinder walls for longer life, increases mileage, cleans and lubricates valves, pumps, carburetors, and injectors
- Easy and simple use kit
- Increases power and miles per gallon by burning excess exhaust emissions
- Increases the life of pumps and injectors
- Cleans and lubricates the fuel system
- ENZYME FUEL TREATMENT – Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment Concentrate improves the combustibility of all fuel - meaning more power and better fuel economy. It keeps working to clean your fuel delivery system, so your engines start easily and run strong.
- STABILIZES FUEL FOR UP TO 2 YEARS – This fuel additive is ideal for everyday use and seasonal storage. It can stabilize fuel for up to 2 years and can help rejuvenate old, sub-spec fuel.
- MAX PERFORMANCE – This gasoline stabilizer helps improve MPG, eliminate black soot and exhaust stains, reduce emissions, remove carbon build-up, and eliminate and prevent ethanol fuel problems for maximum performance.
- VERSATILE – This revolutionary fuel stabilizer utilizes enzyme technology to enhance the performance of boats, automobiles, trucks, RVs, tractors, farm equipment, generators, lawnmowers, lawn equipment, oil burning furnaces and all other small engines.
- SAFE FOR ALL ENGINES – Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment concentrated formula #930XX is economical to use in large and small applications. It works with ethanol fuel and is safe for use in all engines (including 2-cycle pre-mix).
- Two 5.25 fl oz bottles of STP High Mileage Fuel Injector & Carburetor Cleaner Treatment
- Fuel treatment additives help remove deposit buildups to save gas
- Friction modifier in the fuel additive combats upper cylinder friction
- STP fuel injector cleaner can help prevent hard stops, lost acceleration and rough idling for improved performance
- Jet fuel serves as the carrier for the active ingredients, creating a high-quality additive for easy auto care
- Fit type: Universal
- Package Weight: 4.54 kilograms
- Package Dimensions: 26.04 L x 20.32 H x 18.1 W (centimeters)
- Country of Origin : United States
- Concentrated Formula
- Treats Up To 240 Gallons
- Totally Disperse Water
- Cleans Injector System
- Helps Improve Mileage
Last update on 2022-06-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.