March 6, 2018 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 18V147000
Limited wiper function can reduce the driver’s visibility, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V147
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Potential Number of Units Affected 1,505
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio vehicles. The software for the wiper motor may incorrectly interpret the wiper motor as overheating, limiting the windshield wipers to operating only at the low-speed setting. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 104, “Windshield Wiping and Washing Systems.”
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the wiper motor, free of charge. The recall began on April 25, 2018. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler’s number for this recall is U24.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Revised May 2018
Dealer Service Instructions for:
Safety Recall U24 / NHTSA 18V-147 Windshield Wiper System
NOTE: Added Step 39 and Figure 11.
|2018||(GU)||Alfa Romeo Stelvio|
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above built from April 12, 2017 through July, 12, 2017 (MDH 041200 through 071200).
|IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also consider this requirement to apply to used vehicle inventory and should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.|
The windshield wiper system on about 1,500 of the above vehicles may have been built with wiper motor software that may erroneously calculate that the wiper motor is overheating and limit the function of the motor to low speed. Under certain conditions, the windshield wiping system may be limited to low speed operation only which may reduce the driver’s visibility. This reduced driver visibility may, in certain cases, result in a crash without prior warning.
The condition above fails to conform to the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 104 S4.1.1; Windshield wiping and washing systems, which specifies the frequency requirements for a windshield wiping system.
Replace the windshield wiper motor.
|Windshield Wiper Motor||68413864AA|
No parts return required for this campaign.
The following special tools are required to perform this repair:
||wiTECH micro pod II|
Replace Windshield Wiper Motor
NOTE: The windshield wiper motor is packaged and serviced only as a unit with the wiper linkage module in this vehicle.
Disconnect the negative battery terminal to perform this operation.
- Position all electrical windows of the doors to the upper end stop position.
- Open the hood.
- Open the liftgate and keep it open.
- Fold the rear left seat backrest forward.
- Lift the liftgate (1a) and pull up the cover (1a) operating in the housing (1b).
- Pull the cord (C) to open the liftgate.
Figure 1 – Manual Liftgate Opening Cord
- Raise the load platform covering and remove it (Figure 2).
- Remove the cover from the battery (Figure 2).
- Press the retainer and disconnect the terminal from the battery “dummy negative pole” (Figure 2).
- Position the terminal out of the way and isolate it.
Figure 2 – Battery Access
- Use the following steps to remove the cowl trim cover.
a. Remove and save the screws and remove the cowl trim seals by releasing its retainer from the seat, both right and left sides (Figure 3).
b. Use a trim stick to release the left cowl buffer push pins (Figure 4).
c. Remove the left buffer by releasing it from its seat (Figure 4).
d. Separate the washer hoses from the housing of the wiper arms (Figure 5).
e. Release the nut covers at the base of the wiper arms.
f. Remove the nuts and the washers (Figure 6).
g. Remove the wiper arms complete with the hose and washer nozzle. Position the wipers off to side without disconnecting the hoses or electrical connections.
NOTE: If necessary, remove the wiper arm using a suitable extractor to release the splined shaft.
Figure 6 – Left Side Wiper Arm Nut
h.Working on the right side of the windshield cowl trim, remove the four push pins and screw (Figure 7).
Figure 7 – Windshield Frame Trim Mounting Push Pins
i. Working on the left side of the cowl trim, remove the screw (Figure 8).
j. Use a trim stick to remove the push pins (Figure 8).
k. Starting from one end, gradually release the cowl trim from the retaining profile along the windshield base.
NOTE: Work carefully to avoid damaging the windshield and the profile.
Figure 8 – Windshield Cowl Trim
- Remove and save the three bolts that secure the linkage assembly (Figure 9).
- Move the linkage assembly slightly and disconnect the wire harness electrical connector from the linkage motor.
- Remove and discard the wiper linkage assembly.
- Connect the wire harness electrical connector to the new linkage assembly motor.
- Position the new wiper linkage assembly to the body.
- Install the three bolts that secure the linkage assembly and tighten to 8 N·m (71 in. lbs.)
- Use the following steps to install the cowl trim cover.
a. Position the cowl trim in position and engage the retaining profile along the entire cowl.
NOTE: If necessary, use soapy water to facilitate inserting the trim into the retaining profile.
NOTE: Do not press the trim excessively into the retaining profile to avoid damaging the windshield.
b. Working on the left side, install the cowl trim push pins and seat fully.
c. Install the left side screw and tighten securely.
d. Working on the right side of the windshield frame trim, install the four push pins.
e. Place the wiper arms in position aligning the blades with the references etched on the windshield.
f. Install the washers and tighten the nuts to 29 N·m (21 ft. lbs.).
g. Attach the nut covers.
h. Place the hoses back into position.
i. Position the left buffer and secure it on its seat.
j. Install the push pins and seat fully.
- Position the sealing strip and secure its retainer on the seat.
- Install the screw and tighten securely.
- Connect the negative battery terminal to the “dummy negative pole” of the battery and make sure that the retainer is correctly coupled.
- Reposition the battery cover.
- Reposition the load platform covering.
- Check the operation of the electrical system.
- Check that the time/day etc. are correct.
- Close the liftgate manually.
NOTE: Steering must be initialized after the battery has been disconnected. This will be indicated by a warning light on the instrument panel turning on. To carry out this procedure, just start the engine, turn the steering wheel from one lock to the other and put it back into the center position.
- Initialize the electric tow hook, if equipped.
- Press the button on the right luggage compartment trim for at least 10 seconds. The LED will turn on continuously to confirm that the initialization has taken place (Figure 10).
NOTE: The wiTECH 2.0 scan tool must be used to perform this recall. This procedure must be performed with the latest software release level.
- Install a battery charger and verify that the charging rate provides 13.2 to 13.5 volts. Do not allow the charger to time out during the process. Set the battery charger timer (if so equipped) to continuous charge.
NOTE: Use an accurate stand-alone voltmeter. The battery charger voltmeter may not be sufficiently accurate. Voltages outside of the specified range will cause an unsuccessful flash. If voltage reading is too high, apply an electrical load by activating the park or headlamps and/or HVAC blower motor to lower the voltage.
- Connect the wiTECH micro pod II to the vehicle data link connector.
- Place the ignition in the “RUN” position.
- Open a wiTECH 2.0 Diagnostic session.
- Enter your “User id”, “Password” and “Dealer Code” then select “Sign in”.
- Starting at the “Vehicle Selection” screen, select the appropriate vehicle and Device Name.
- From the “Action Items” screen select the “All DTCs” tab, select the “Clear All DTCs” then continue and then close.
- From the “Action Items” on the “Topology” tab, click on the “BCM” icon.
- From the BCM screen select “Misc Functions”.
- Select “Wiper Type Configuration”.
- Follow Screen prompts.
- Select “Wiper type2”.
- Follow screen prompts.
- From the BCM screen select “Misc Functions”.
- Ensure the wiper switch is in the off position (Figure 11).
- Select “Wiper command”.
- Follow screen prompts.
- Select “Exit logistic mode wiper unit”, then continue.
- Return to “Action Items” menu and clear all DTCs.
- Verify all wiper and washer system functions. If the wiper system does not function repeat steps 32 through 42.
NOTE: Voltage must be at least 12 volts to successfully complete the routine.
- Return the vehicle to the customer.
Completion Reporting and Reimbursement
Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims paid will be used by FCA to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.
Use the following labor operation number and time allowance:
|Replace Wiper Motor||23-U2-41-82||0.6 hours|
|Wash Vehicle||95-23-34-50||$15 MAX|
|Loaner Vehicle – CTP||95-23-34-51||$60 per day|
|To ensure an exceptional level of customer service is provided by the dealer, we are highly recommending a Giulia, Stelvio, Grand Cherokee (Overland model and above) or a Maserati Ghibli as the customer loaner/CTP vehicle.|
|Customer Vehicle Fuel Fill||95-23-34-52||$45 MAX|
|Loaner – Enterprise||95-23-34-53||Allowance*|
(Giulia, Stelvio, Grand Cherokee (Overland model or above) or Ghibli to receive this amount)
* Submit Invoice Amount – Validation of Charges Will Occur Upon Claim Submission.
NOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.
To view this notification on DealerCONNECT, select “Global Recall System” on the Service tab, then click on the description of this notification.
Owner Notification and Service Scheduling
All involved vehicle owners known to FCA are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is attached.
Vehicle Lists, Global Recall System, VIP and Dealer Follow Up
All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.
GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner’s name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission.
To use this system, click on the “Service” tab and then click on “Global Recall System.” Your dealer’s VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence.
Dealers must perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair.
Recall VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this recall only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.
If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Service and Parts District Manager.
Customer Services / Field Operations
FCA US LLC
This notice applies to your vehicle,
[Model Year and Model] VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX U24/NHTSA 18V-147
YOUR SCHEDULING OPTIONS
- RECOMMENDED OPTION Call your authorized Alfa Romeo dealership
- Call Alfa Romeo Premium Care at 1-866-932-3881. An agent can confirm part availability and help schedule an appointment
- Visit mopar.com, scan the QR code below, or download the Mopar Owner’s Companion App
Get access to recall notifications, locate your nearest dealer, and more through this website or Mopar Owner’s Companion App. You will be asked to provide your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to protect and verify your identity. The last eight characters of your VIN are provided above.
Please reference Safety Recall U24.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
Windshield Wiper System
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
FCA has decided that certain [2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio] vehicles fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 104 S4.1.1; Windshield wiping and washing systems, which specifies the frequency requirements for a windshield wiping system.
It is extremely important to take steps now to repair your vehicle to ensure the safety of you and your passengers.
WHY DOES MY VEHICLE NEED REPAIRS?
The windshield wiper system on your vehicle  may have been built with wiper motor software that may erroneously calculate that the wiper motor is overheating and limit the function of the motor to low speed. Under certain conditions, the windshield wiping system may be limited to low speed operation only which may reduce the driver’s visibility. This reduced driver visibility may, in certain cases, result in a crash without prior warning.
HOW DO I RESOLVE THIS IMPORTANT SAFETY ISSUE?
FCA will repair your vehicle  free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will replace the windshield wiper motor. In addition, your dealer will require your vehicle for proper check-in, preparation, and check-out during your visit. Your time is important to us; please be aware that these steps may require more time. The estimated repair time is two hours. We recommend that you schedule a service appointment to minimize your inconvenience. Please bring this letter with you to your dealership.
TO SCHEDULE YOUR FREE REPAIR, CALL YOUR ALFA ROMEO DEALERSHIP TODAY
WHAT IF I ALREADY PAID TO HAVE THIS REPAIR COMPLETED?
If you have already experienced this specific condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit your reimbursement request online.  Once we receive and verify the required documents, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days. If you have had previous repairs performed and/or already received reimbursement, you may still need to have the recall repair performed.
We apologize for any inconvenience, but are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Customer Assistance/Field Operations
Mr. Mrs. Customer
1234 Main Street
Hometown, MI 48371
 If you no longer own this vehicle, please help us update our records. Call the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403 to update your information.
 If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, or you can call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-4249153), or go to safercar.gov.
 You can also mail in your original receipts and proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement consideration: FCA Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8004, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Recall Reimbursement.
Note to lessors receiving this recall notice: Federal regulation requires that you forward this recall notice to the lessee within 10 days.
1 Affected Product
14 Associated Documents
Non-Compliance Notice 573 Report/FMVSS 104RCLRPT-18V147-2032
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – 03/14/2018 New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – U24RCMN-18V147-4060
ISSUED Renotification NoticeRCRN-18V147-3097
Remedy Instructions and TSB – Revised May 2018RCRIT-18V147-8621
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – May 2018
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Alfa Romeo Stelvio Recalls – Reminders on U24, U34, and U36 By Mopar on Thursday, April 26, 2018RCMN-18V147-3918
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)RCMN-18V147-3167
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2018-3
Remedy Instructions and TSB – April 2018RCRIT-18V147-6696
Renotification Representative CopyRMISC-18V147-3781
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2018-4RCLQRT-18V147-1589
Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2019-1RCLQRT-18V147-1872
Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-18V147-9814
Latest Recalls Documents
- Ready-to-use formula
- Keeps your windshield clean
- Protects to -20 Degree F
- brush applicator for larger scratches and chips.
- Advanced windshield washer fluid removes bug residue, road grime, bird droppings, and tree sap from windshields
- Power Cleaner penetrates the toughest residues, breaking down and removing up to 99.99 percent of all bugs
- Bug Stopper forms a barrier to help stop bugs, road grime, and other residues from sticking to your windshield
- Water Repellent Advanced Beading repels rain for streak-free driving visibility
- Cleans to a powerful streak-free shine with a fresh citrus scent
- Formulated with advanced technology for a streak-free cleaning power
- Instantly removes bugs & road grime
- Specifically formulated as a summer windshield washer to keep windshields clear from road grime and dirt debris
- Our formula contains special detergents that break down the dirt and grime making it easy to wipe off the windshield
- This item can no be shipped to the state in California, Техаs, Arizona please check with the manufacturer regarding warranty and support issues.
- Removes light snow, ice, grime, and bugs
- Applies water-beading technology to help keep windshield clear. For use in cold weather
- 【Legerity and Portable】The windshield wiper fluid Tablet is smaller and portable, which is only 16mm*2mm. One washer tablet is equivalent to 1Gallons washing liquid. Compared with traditional washing liquid, it’s easier to store and can save a lot of money.
- 【Thorough Dissolution】 It won’t produce precipitation and impurities, making sure that won’t block the outlet. For improving cleaning performance in winter, it’s mixable with anti-freezing agent.
- 【Efficient Cleaning】 It can effectively clean and lubricate the windshield, reduce the friction between wiper and windshield, and keep the windshield clean and tidy. At the same time, it can clean the stains in the kitchen/dirt on toilet floor.
- 【How to use:】①Open the cover of the water tank. ② Pour water into the tank. ③ Put in 1 piece of Washer tablets. ④ Wait 15-20minutes, open the wiper to clean the windshield.（☆If the conditions permit, the product can be placed in a container to dissolve, and then it into the car water tank.）
- 【Note】 Please note that this is a formula used in summer, which can't prevent water in your water tank from freezing. The temperature requirement is higher than -5℃(23℉). In addition, please keep it out of reach of children and pets.
- Cleans Windshields Safe
- For Use In All Vehicles
- Intended For Use In Temperatures As Low As -20 Degrees Fahrenheit
- All-Season Formula
- SHIPPING RESTRICTED TO CALIFORNIA & TEXAS
Last update on 2023-01-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.