January 24, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V020000
A loss of power steering could vary the steering effort required, possibly causing vehicle oversteer or understeer, increasing the risk of crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V020
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Potential Number of Units Affected 159,740
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2019 Ram 1500 vehicles. The battery ground fastener on the driver-side front fender may have been improperly secured, possibly resulting in a loss of power steering assist.
Chrysler has notified owners, and dealers will properly secure the ground fastener, free of charge. The recall began on February 11, 2019. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler‘s number for this recall is V04.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.----escape_sem_autolink_uri:9c8e025c4aa77f9510aacb39890c86eb----.
Dealer Service Instructions for:
Safety Recall V04 / NHTSA 19V-TBD* Ground Cable
|2019||(DT)||RAM 1500 Pickup|
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles built from October 31, 2017
through October 25, 2018 (MDH 103109 through 102506).
|IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also consider this requirement to apply to used vehicle inventory and should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.|
The 12-Volt battery ground on about 159,710 of the above vehicles may have been built with a loose 12-Volt battery body ground cable fastener. This condition may cause an intermittent battery ground connection, and may result in an intermittent loss of power steering assist with inconsistent steering effort required by the driver. Inconsistent steering effort may contribute to oversteer and understeer conditions which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning.
See service procedure below.
- Place the vehicle in the “PARK” position and place the ignition in the “Off” position.
- Disconnect the 12-Volt negative cable at the battery post.
- Remove the 13mm hex head nut from the body ground cable and Powertrain Control Module ground strap stud located on the left side of the fender (Figure 1).
- Inspect the ground stud threads and nut for any carbon deposits, clean as necessary.
- Using a torque wrench tighten the nut to 20 N·m (14ft. lbs.) to achieve the required torque.
NOTE: If the nut is not able to achieve the required torque, the stud will need to be replaced, please contact the FCA STAR Center on how to proceed with the repair.
- Reconnect the 12v ground cable at the battery post and tighten to 5 N·m (45In. lbs.).
- Close hood and return the vehicle to the customer.
Completion Reporting and Reimbursement
Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims paid will be used by FCA to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.
Use the following labor operation number and time allowance:
|Inspect and verify torque at G2A ground nut||08-V0-41-82||0.2 hours|
NOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.
To view this notification on DealerCONNECT, select “Global Recall System” on the Service tab, then click on the description of this notification.
Owner Notification and Service Scheduling
All involved vehicle owners known to FCA are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is attached.
Vehicle Lists, Global Recall System, VIP and Dealer Follow Up
All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.
GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner’s name, address and phone number are listed if known. To use this system, click on the “Service” tab and then click on “Global Recall Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission.
System.” Your dealer’s VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence.
Dealers must perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair.
Recall VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this recall only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.
If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Service and Parts District Manager.
Customer Services / Field Operations
FCA US LLC
This notice applies to your vehicle,
[Model Year and Model] VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX V04/NHTSA 19V-020
YOUR SCHEDULING OPTIONS
- Call the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403. An agent can confirm part availability and help schedule an appointment
- Visit mopar.com, scan the QR code below, or download the Mopar Owner’s Companion App.
Get access to recall notifications, locate your nearest dealer, and more through this website or Mopar Owner’s Companion App. You will be asked to provide your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to protect and verify your identity. The last eight characters of your VIN are provided above.
Please reference Safety Recall V04.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
FCA has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain [2019 RAM 1500 Pickup] vehicles.
It is extremely important to take steps now to repair your vehicle to ensure the safety of you and your passengers.
WHY DOES MY VEHICLE NEED REPAIRS?
The 12-Volt battery ground on your vehicle  may have been built with a loose 12-Volt battery body ground cable fastener. This condition may cause an intermittent battery ground connection, and may result in an intermittent loss of power steering assist with inconsistent steering effort required by the driver. Inconsistent steering effort may contribute to oversteer and understeer conditions which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning.
HOW DO I RESOLVE THIS IMPORTANT SAFETY ISSUE?
FCA will repair your vehicle  free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will inspect the suspect ground fastener, and torque the ground fastener. In addition, your dealer will require your vehicle for proper check-in, preparation, and check-out during your visit. Your time is important to us; please be aware that these steps may require more time. The estimated repair time is half an hour. We recommend that you schedule a service appointment to minimize your inconvenience. Please bring this letter with you to your dealership.
TO SCHEDULE YOUR FREE REPAIR, CALL YOUR CHRYSLER, DODGE, JEEP OR RAM DEALER TODAY
WHAT IF I ALREADY PAID TO HAVE THIS REPAIR COMPLETED?
If you have already experienced this specific condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit your reimbursement request online.  Once we receive and verify the required documents, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days. If you have had previous repairs performed and/or already received reimbursement, you may still need to have the recall repair performed.
We apologize for any inconvenience, but are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Customer Assistance/Field Operations
FCA US LLC
Mr. Mrs. Customer
1234 Main Street
Hometown, MI 48371
 If you no longer own this vehicle, please help us update our records. Call the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403 to update your information.
 If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, or you can call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-4249153), or go to safercar.gov.
 You can also mail in your original receipts and proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement consideration: FCA Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8004, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Recall Reimbursement.
Note to lessors receiving this recall notice: Federal regulation requires that you forward this recall notice to the lessee within 10 days.
1 Affected Product
8 Associated Documents
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-19V020-8175
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-19V020-3675
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-1RCLQRT-19V020-4325
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2019-2
ISSUED Renotification Notice
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2019-3https://static.oemdtc.com/Recall/19V020/
Latest Recalls Documents
- PRECISION - Ships pre-calibrated to +/- 4% accuracy and ready to use. Include calibration certificate with traceable serial number.
- DURABLE - Reinforced ratchet gear head constructed from hardened, heat treated Chrome Vanadium alloy steel.
- LONG-LASTING - Rust & corrosion protection with our unique and newly invented Electro-Black finish treatment.
- PERFORMANCE - Features an easy-to-read, highlighted yellow print dual-range scale. Identify the markings even in low-light conditions.
- COMFORTABLE - Comes with a reversible ratchet head that drives in both directions and measure torque in a clockwise direction.
- Durable Ratchet Head: Made from Hardened treated Chrome Vanadium steel alloy (Cr-V) Corrosion-Retardant: Satin Finish. Made in Taiwan
- Easy Storage: A sturdy plastic storage case is included. Non-Slip Grip: Knurled handle
- Easy to Read: High Contrast & Dual Range Scale. Accurate: Pre-Calibrated to ± 4%
- Accessories included: 1/2" Drive 5" long Extension Bar and 1/2" Drive to 3/8" Drive Reducer
- Simple and Reliable: “Click” sound tells the preset torque value is reached. Stop applying force when you hear and feel it.
- Includes storage case and product manual with torque conversion chart
- Wrench emits a click that can be heard and felt when the preset value is reached
- High-contrast dual-range scale is easy to read, even in low light
- Reversible ratchet head drives in both directions and measures torque in clockwise direction
- Durable all-steel construction has no plastic parts to break or wear out
- 3/8“ drive torque wrench with 15-80 ft.-lb/20.4-108.5 Nm range
- Durable ratchet head made from hardened treated Chrome Vanadium steel alloy (Cr-V); bright, full polish chrome finish wipes easily clean and resists rust and corrosion
- High contrast and dual range scale pre-calibrated to ± 4%
- Includes sturdy plastic case for storage and portability
- Backed by an Amazon Basics limited one-year warranty
- Price For: Each
- [Advanced Technology]: 14.8 to 147.5 ft-lbs foot pounds torque range with LED flashing / vibration / buzzer alarm when torque is reached. Easy to read LCD display with measurements (kg-cm, N-m, in-lb. ft-lb)
- [Multiple Setting Functions]: Torque, Measurement, and, Peak & Trace, Mode Settings. (Torque setting range: 10% of max torque value. Measuring range: 14.8 to 147.5 ft-lbs)
- [High Accuracy]: 2% clockwise 3% CCW of indicated value, CW, from 20% to 100% of full scale
- [Quality Assurance]: Meets or exceeds ASME B107. 14-2004, ISO 6789 standards, individually serialized with matching certificate of calibration traceable to N. I. S. T.
- Uses 4x AAA Batteries. One-year limited manufacturer warranty
✔ Lifetime Personal Use Guarantee
- Instantly converts between four different measurements (Lb.ft, N.m, Lb.in, Kg.cm)
- Wrench clicks and/or releases when preset torque value is reached
- Accurate to +/- 3% in clockwise direction compared to most competitors +/- 4%
- ACCURACY: +/- 2 inch/pounds up to 40 inch/pounds; 40 – 65 is +/- 5%
- EASE OF USE: Apply, repeatable, accurate torque settings to scope rings, guard screws, windage screws and base screws, which aids in accuracy and decreases the opportunity for problems in the field
- RELIABLE: Torque adjustment range from 10 inch/pounds to 65 inch/pounds
- DURABLE: Bits are made of S2 tool steel and hardened to 56-58 Rockwell “C”
- INCLUDES: 10 bits (hex to square adapter, #10 flat blade, #32 flat blade, #11 flat blade, 5/32 hex, 7/64 hex, 3/32 hex, T20 torx, T15 torx and Leupold specialty flat blade), ¼” socket and a convenient plastic storage case
- PORTABILITY: Torque wrench 1/2 inch drive has a durable case for portability or storage
- ADDED COMFORT: Bi-material handle for comfort and grip of the 1/2 torque wrench
- HASSLE FREE USE: Locking feature adjusts quick and easily for hassle free use
- QUICK IDENTIFICATION: Scales stamped into housing showing inch and metric torque settings
- Meets or Exceeds ASME Specifications
- EASE OF USE: With an audible indicator tone, LCD display, and low battery indicator, the Wheeler Firearm Accurizing Torque Wrench makes adjusting screws a simple process
- SPECS: 10 bits are made from S2 tool steel and hardened to a 56-58 Rockwell "C"
- RELIABLE: +/- 2% accuracy
- VERSATILE: 15-100 in/lb. range and measures in lb-in, kg-cm, and N-m
- INCLUDES: Molded storage case to keep your Wheeler Digital FAT Wrench set secure
Last update on 2021-10-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-10-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API