May 9, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V347000
If the tailgate opens while the vehicle is being driven, cargo may fall out the vehicle and create a road hazard, increasing the risk of crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V347
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Potential Number of Units Affected 410,351
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2015-2017 Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickup trucks equipped with an 8 foot truck bed and a power locking tailgate. Chrysler is also recalling all 2018 Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickup trucks built before April 1, 2018 that are equipped with a power locking tailgate. The tailgate actuator limiter tab may fracture and cause the tailgate to unlatch and open while driving.
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will repair the tailgate latch, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin June 28, 2019. Owners may contact FCA US customer service at 1-800-853-1403. FCA US's number for this recall is V44. Note: 2015-2017 MY Ram 1500 pickup trucks with truck beds other than 8 foot, are currently covered under NHTSA recall 18V-486 for this issue.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Dealer Service Instructions for:
Safety Recall V44 / NHTSA 19V-347 Tailgate Latch
|2015 – 2017||(D2)||RAM 3500 Pickup|
|2015 – 2017||(DJ)||RAM 2500 Pickup|
|2015 – 2017||(DS)||RAM 1500 Pickup|
|2015 – 2017||(DX)||RAM Truck (Mexico)|
|2018||(D2)||RAM 3500 Pickup|
|2018||(DJ)||RAM 2500 Pickup|
|2018||(DS)||RAM 1500 Pickup|
|2018||(DX)||RAM Truck (Mexico)|
NOTE: This recall applies to all of the above 2015 thru 2017 vehicles equipped with an 8 ft. box sales code (5ZF).
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above 2018 vehicles built until March 31, 2018 (MDH 033100)
NOTE: Some vehicles above may have been identified as not involved in this recall and therefore have been excluded from this recall.
|IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.|
The tailgate latch on about 410,820 of the above vehicles may have been built with a tailgate actuator limiter tab within the power lock actuator control assembly that may fracture allowing the lock rod control bracket to over-travel which may pull the lock rods and release the tailgate latches, potentially resulting in the tailgate inadvertently falling open at any time. An unintended opening of the tailgate while driving may result in a loss of unrestrained cargo from the truck bed. Lost cargo may create a road hazard to operators and occupants of other vehicles, and can cause such vehicles to crash without prior warning.
Install a tailgate actuator stop block that will limit the pivot arm from over traveling and pulling on the locking/unlocking rods.
|Stop Block (MSQ 5)||68448027AA|
No parts return required for this campaign.
No special tools are required to perform this service procedure.
- Open the tailgate.
- If equipped with a tailgate liner, remove the screws and remove the tailgate liner.
- Remove the fasteners that secure the tailgate cover to the inside of the tailgate and remove the cover (Figure 1).
- Grasp the lock actuator solenoid boot to expose the actuator slider (Figure 2).
- Insert the actuator stop block onto the solenoid slider (Figure 3).
- Reinstall the actuator solenoid boot.
NOTE: Lock actuator boot must be fully seated onto solenoid collar. Use an inspection mirror to visually verify the backside of the boot is fully seated.
- For vehicles without a tailgate liner, install the cover onto the tailgate and install the bolts.
- Tighten the fasteners using the sequence shown to five N·m (44 In. lbs.) (Figure 4).
- On vehicles with a tailgate liner, position the tailgate cover onto the inside of the tailgate.
- Install the liner onto the tailgate.
- Tighten the fasteners securely.
- Close the tailgate and return the vehicle to the customer.
Completion Reporting and Reimbursement
Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims paid will be used by FCA to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.
Use the following labor operation number and time allowance:
|Inspect for tailgate actuator stop block||08-V4-41-81||0.2 hours|
|Inspect and install latch actuator stop block||08-V4-41-82||0.2 hours|
NOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.
To view this notification on DealerCONNECT, select “Global Recall System” on the Service tab, then click on the description of this notification.
Owner Notification and Service Scheduling
All involved vehicle owners known to FCA are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is attached.
Vehicle Lists, Global Recall System, VIP and Dealer Follow Up
All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.
GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner’s name, address and phone number are listed if known. To use this system, click on the “Service” tab and then click on “Global Recall System.” Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission. Your dealer’s VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence.
Dealers must perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair.
Recall VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this recall only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.
If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Service and Parts District Manager.
Customer Services / Field Operations
FCA US LLC
This notice applies to your vehicle,
[Model Year and Model] VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
YOUR SCHEDULING OPTIONS
- Call the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-866-220-6747. An agent can confirm part availability and help schedule an appointment
- Visit mopar.com, scan the QR code below, or download the Mopar Owner’s Companion App.
Get access to recall notifications, locate your nearest dealer, and more through this website or Mopar Owner’s Companion App. You will be asked to provide your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to protect and verify your identity. The last eight characters of your VIN are provided above.
Please reference Safety Recall V44.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
FCA has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain [2015 – 2017 model year (D2) RAM 3500 Pickup, (DJ) RAM 2500 Pickup, (DS) RAM 1500 Pickup and some 2018 model year built before April 1, 2018 (D2) RAM 3500 Pickup, (DJ) RAM 2500 Pickup, (DS) RAM 1500 Pickup] vehicles.
It is extremely important to take steps now to repair your vehicle to ensure the safety of you and your passengers.
WHY DOES MY VEHICLE NEED REPAIRS?
The tailgate latch on your vehicle  may have been built with a tailgate actuator limiter tab that may fracture allowing the lock rod control bracket to over-travel which may pull the lock rods and release the tailgate latches, potentially resulting in the tailgate inadvertently falling open at any time. An unintended opening of the tailgate while driving may result in a loss of unrestrained cargo from the truck bed. Lost cargo may create a road hazard to operators and occupants of other vehicles, and can cause such vehicles to crash without prior warning.
HOW DO I RESOLVE THIS IMPORTANT SAFETY ISSUE?
FCA will repair your vehicle  free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will install a tailgate actuator stop block that will limit the pivot arm from over traveling and pulling on the locking/unlocking rods. The estimated repair time is about one hour. In addition, your dealer will require your vehicle for proper check-in, preparation, and check-out during your visit, which require more time. Your time is important to us, so we recommend that you schedule a service appointment to minimize your inconvenience. Please bring this letter with you to your dealership.
VISIT RECALLS.MOPAR.COM/HELP FOR MORE INFORMATION AND ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IF I ALREADY PAID TO HAVE THIS REPAIR COMPLETED?
If you have already experienced this specific condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit your reimbursement request online.  Once we receive and verify the required documents, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days. If you have had previous repairs performed and/or already received reimbursement, you may still need to have the recall repair performed.
We apologize for any inconvenience, but are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Customer Assistance/Field Operations
FCA US LLC
Mr. Mrs. Customer
1234 Main Street
Hometown, MI 48371
 If you no longer own this vehicle, please help us update our records. Call the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403 to update your information.
 If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, or you can call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-4249153), or go to safercar.gov.
 You can also mail in your original receipts and proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement consideration: FCA Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8004, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Recall Reimbursement.
Note to lessors receiving this recall notice: Federal regulation requires that you forward this recall notice to the lessee within 10 days.
12 Affected Products
3 Associated Documents
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Defect Notice 573 Report
- [PREMIUM QUALITY] - TOP quality Tailgate Latch Levers, also known as Rear Door Lock Latch or Trunk Latch. If the tailgate of your vehicle will not stay closed, must be slammed hard to close, or gets stuck and will not open, you may need to replace the door latch；
- [FIT THE FOLLOWING VEHICLE] - 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT | 2002-2006 Chevy Avalanche 1500 2500 | 1999-2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 2500 3500 | 1999-2006 GMC Sierra 1500 2500 3500 HD；
- [REPLACE PART #] - Replace GM 15921948 15921949；
- [DIRECT FIT] - Direct replacement for a proper fit and easy installation, quality materials used, meets or exceeds OEM standards, 100% tested before shipping. Even though it is not a genuine Honda or Acura pump, but it works even better and last longer at a much lower price. Save yourself hundreds of dollars by purchasing a MNJWS product, instead of getting it from a dealer；
- [BUY WITH CONFIDENCE] - Order from MNJWS, we offer a 12 month warranty, true worry-free shopping experience. If you have any problem, feel free to contact us, our professional mechanic will sort things out for you；
- Includes 1 exterior rear tailgate handle and 1 matching bezel in OEM textured black finish for Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra pickup trucks
- Replaces GM and GMC part numbers: 15997911, 15228539, GM1916102, GM1915105, 77488, 15188001, 15228540, 15228541.
- Fits 1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra tailgates at a fraction of the dealer's price.
- Stress tested to guarantee long life and to ensure OEM fit, finish & increased rigidity and feel.
- Every T1A direct fit replacement tail gate handle and bezel is backed by our industry leading 12-month warranty. If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, simply take advantage of our No Questions Asked, 30-Day Money Back Guarantee!
- REPLACEMENT TAILGATE HANDLE LATCH WITH CLIPS & COVER - allows you to open the tailgate, it can be annoying on a busy day carrying lots of stuff and upon reaching the handle on your truck to open it, bam! Nothing happens. This replacement kit will fix the common tailgate handle issue on your Silverado or Sierra and includes the cover as that usually breaks too upon replacing the handle latch.
- FITS THE FOLLOWING CHEVY & GMC TRUCKS - 1999 - 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 | 2001 - 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD | 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD Classic | 2001 - 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD | 2001 - 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 | 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Classic | 1999 - 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 | 2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Classic | 2007 GMC Sierra 3500 Classic | & more. See below for full vehicle list.
- REPLACES PART# 15997911, 15228539, 15228541, 15228540, GM1915105, GM1916102, 15188001, Dorman 77488 - commonly found on popular Chevy Silverado & GMC Sierra truck models with years 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07. This replacement handle latch kit manufactured by AA Ignition comes with the bezel cover and the new rod clips pre-installed and can be installed easily with no special tools required.
- OEM FIT, QUALITY, FINISH - While this is not a genuine GM, Chevrolet, GMC or Dorman part, it is a direct replacement for your 2004 Silverado or 2007 GMC Sierra truck with years 99-06 and 07 and it will appear, fit and work like the factory part. Save time and hundreds of dollars off of dealer prices by replacing the part yourself.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - This tailgate handle latch & bezel cover kit comes complete with a lifetime warranty. If the part ever fails on your 01, 02, 03-07 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra simply contact us for a replacement. Save time and money by purchasing this part manufactured by AA Ignition and take advantage of this warranty.
- Steel tailgate latch assembly with forged bracket and clevis
- Bar assembly constructed of a-36 steel
- Forged rod end and bracket for ease of use and strength of operation
- Used to provide a seal for dump body and dump trailer tailgates
- 【PREMIUM QUALITY】Tailgate Liftgate Latch Lever,also known as Rear Door Lock Latch or Trunk Latch, made of high quality material for long lasting durability. Direct replacement for a proper fit and easy installation, meets or exceeds OEM standards
- 【REPLACEMENT TAILGATE LATCH LEVER】 If the tailgate of your vehicle will not stay closed, must be slammed hard to close, or gets stuck and will not open, you may need to replace the door latch
- 【REPLACES PART NUMBER】15921948 15921949
- 【FITS THE FOLLOWING VEHICLES】Fits 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT, 2002-2006 Chevy Avalanche 1500 2500, 1999-2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 2500 3500 HD, 1999-2006 GMC Sierra 1500 2500 3500 HD. See below for the full vehicle list
- 【BUY WITH CONFIDENCE】 Order from YUTOCOOL, we offer 12 Months warranty, true worry-free shopping experience. Every product must take inspected and tested multiple times before the shipment
- This is the official Genuine Toyota Parts replacement part for your vehicle.
- Direct Replacement
- Includes: 1 Left + 1 Right
- Fitment: 1999-2007 Chevy Silverado / GMC Sierra
- Replacement OEM Part Numbers: 15997911, 15228539
- Direct Replacement and ensured OE Fitment
- Does NOT Fit 2007+ New Body Style Models
- Vehicle Specific fit
- High-quality, durable parts
- Restore the use and convenience of your vehicle's tailgate
- All components exactly match the originals
- 1-Year Limited Warranty
Last update on 2019-09-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-09-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API