DATE: March 14, 2007
Intake-to-Throttle Body Joint May Cause A Whistle-Like Sound On 3.7L Engines
|2007||(DR)||Ram Truck (Light Duty)|
NOTE: ** This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.7L engine (sales code EKG) built on or before March 12, 2007 (MDH 0312XX). **
The customer may experience a slight ** high frequency (pitch) ** whistle-like sound while driving. This sound is not loud and may not be noticed by most drivers. The sound can occur at any ambient or engine operating temperature. The whistle-like sound is most noticeable under load, with a light throttle, and between 1,200 and 2,000 engine RPM’s.
NOTE: ** Very few vehicles will exhibit this condition. **
If the customer experiences the above condition perform the Repair Procedure.
|1||04883971||Engine Sealant RTV Silicone Rubber Adhesive (one tube will do 15 vehicles)|
- Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable from the battery.
- Remove the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) throttle body from the intake manifold. For detailed service information refer to TechCONNECT, select the Service Info tab > 14 – Fuel System > Fuel Injection – Gas > Throttle Body > Removal or Installation > Throttle Body – 3.7L.
- Apply a very small diameter bead (1 mm) of RTV to the intake manifold-to-throttle body joint. The RTV is to be applied to the lower section of the joint between the lower two throttle body bolt attachment holes ( 1). A very small amount of RTV is needed to seal the slight space/gap on the inner surface of the joint. The gap was created by a slight taper in the intake manifold joint surface.
NOTE: Do not apply an excessive amount of RTV to the joint.
Fig. 1 INTAKE-TO-THROTTLE BODY JOINT
- Install the ETC throttle body to the intake manifold. Tighten the throttle body four attaching bolts to 7 Nm (60 in. lbs.).
NOTE: Wipe off inside joint of any excess RTV squeeze-out.
- Reassemble the remaining engine components.
- Connect the negative battery cable to the battery. Set the clock to the correct time.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
|Labor Operation No:||Description||Amount|
|09-50-01-96||Manifold, Intake – Apply RTV to the Intake Manifold-to-Throttle Body Joint (B)||0.5 Hrs.|
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 09-009-06, DATED SEPTEMBER 09, 2006, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES THE ADDITION OF A CLEAN POINT IN THE MODELS SECTION.