April 9, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V208000
Reduced visibility increases the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V208
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Potential Number of Units Affected 425,588
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2019-2020 Ram 1500, 1500 Classic and Jeep Compass vehicles. The windshield wiper arm or arms may loosen, possibly causing the wipers to not operate properly and reduce the driver's visibility in certain weather conditions.
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will tighten the wiper nuts, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin May 29, 2020. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is W25.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Dealer Service Instructions for:
Safety Recall W25 / NHTSA 20V-208 Windshield Wipers
|2019-2020||(DS||Ram 1500 Pickup|
|2019-2020||(DT)||Ram 1500 Pickup|
NOTE: Some vehicles above may have been identified as not involved in this recall and therefore have been excluded from this recall.
|IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to complete this recall service on these|
|vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also consider this requirement to apply to used vehicle inventory and should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.|
The windshield wipers on about 425,500 of the above vehicles may have been built with an improperly formed wiper arm head joint that did not fully form the splines of the head joint on the wiper arm. This can allow the joint to strip and result in the wiper arm failing to operate properly when the system is activated. Prior to complete wiper system failure, the driver may notice that one or both wipers do not clear the windshield properly or that the wipers are not in their proper rest positions. An improperly functioning wiper system may, in certain circumstances, lead to diminished road visibility which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning.
Tighten the existing nut an additional 90 degrees (one quarter turn).
Dealers should attempt to minimize customer inconvenience by placing the owner in a loaner vehicle if the vehicle must be held overnight.
No parts are required to perform this service procedure.
No parts return required for this campaign.
No special tools are required to perform this service procedure.
- Open the hood.
- Carefully pry the plastic nut caps (1) off of the nuts on the pivot end of the wiper arms (Figure 1).
Figure 1 – Windshield Wiper Arm Nuts
NOTE: To properly tighten the nuts, one of the following is needed:
- A paint pen to mark the 12 o’clock position on the nut, or
- A torque angle gauge, or
- A torque wrench with the ability to measure torque angle.
- Using one of these methods, tighten both nuts 90 degrees (one quarter turn).
NOTE: Do not loosen or remove the nut or arm, or torque the nut to a specified value. Tighten the nut by adding 90 degrees (one quarter turn) only.
- Verify wipers are functioning properly by running them on low and high speed. If wiper system issues are present after performing the steps above, refer to wiper diagnosis and repair in DealerCONNECT/Service Library.
- Install the plastic nut caps (1) onto the wiper arm pivot nuts (Figure 1).
- Close the hood and return the vehicle to the customer.
Completion Reporting and Reimbursement
Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims paid will be used by FCA to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.
|Tighten Windshield Wiper Arm Nuts||23-W2-51-82||0.1 hours|
NOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.
To view this notification on DealerCONNECT, select “Global Recall System” on the Service tab, then click on the description of this notification.
Owner Notification and Service Scheduling
All involved vehicle owners known to FCA are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is attached.
Vehicle Lists, Global Recall System, VIP and Dealer Follow Up
All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.
GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner’s name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission.
To use this system, click on the “Service” tab and then click on “Global Recall System.” Your dealer’s VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence.
Dealers must perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair.
Recall VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this recall only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.
If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Service and Parts District Manager.
Customer Services / Field Operations
FCA US LLC
This notice applies to your vehicle,
[Model Year and Model] VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX W25/NHTSA 20V-208
YOUR SCHEDULING OPTIONS
- Call the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403. An agent can confirm part availability and help schedule an appointment
- Visit mopar.com, scan the QR code below, or download the Mopar Owner’s Companion App.
Get access to recall notifications, locate your nearest dealer, and more through this website or Mopar Owner’s Companion App. You will be asked to provide your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to protect and verify your identity. The last eight characters of your VIN are provided above.
Please reference Safety Recall W25.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
It is extremely important to take steps now to repair your vehicle to ensure the safety of you and your passengers.
WHY DOES MY VEHICLE NEED REPAIRS?
The wiper arm on your vehicle  may have been built with an improperly formed wiper arm head joint that did not fully form the splines of the head joint on the wiper arm. This can allow the joint to strip and result in the wiper arm failing to operate properly when the system is activated. Prior to complete wiper system failure, the driver may notice that one or both wipers do not clear the windshield properly or that the wipers are not in their proper rest positions. An improperly functioning wiper system may, in certain circumstances, lead to diminished road visibility which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning.
HOW DO I RESOLVE THIS IMPORTANT SAFETY ISSUE?
FCA US will repair your vehicle  free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will tighten the wiper nuts to the required torque. The estimated repair time is thirty minutes. In addition, your dealer will require your vehicle for proper check-in, preparation, and check-out during your visit, which may require more time. Your time is important to us, so we recommend that you schedule a service appointment to minimize your inconvenience. Please bring this letter with you to your dealership.
WHAT IF I ALREADY PAID TO HAVE THIS REPAIR COMPLETED?
If you have already experienced this specific condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit your reimbursement request online.  Once we receive and verify the required documents, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days. If you have had previous repairs performed and/or already received reimbursement, you may still need to have the recall repair performed.
We apologize for any inconvenience, but are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Customer Assistance/Field Operations
FCA US LLC
Mr. Mrs. Customer
1234 Main Street
Hometown, MI 48371
 If you no longer own this vehicle, please help us update our records. Call the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403 to update your information.
 If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, or you can call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-4249153), or go to safercar.gov.
 You can also mail in your original receipts and proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement consideration: FCA Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8004, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Recall Reimbursement.
Note to lessors receiving this recall notice: Federal regulation requires that you forward this recall notice to the lessee within 10 days.
New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – W25
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
Some of the above vehicles may have been built with an improperly formed wiper arm head joint that did not fully form the splines of the head joint on the wiper arm. This can allow the joint to strip and result in the wiper arm failing to operate properly when the system is activated. Prior to complete wiper system failure, the driver may notice that one or both wipers do not clear the windshield properly or that the wipers are not in their proper rest positions. An improperly functioning wiper system may, in certain circumstances, lead to a diminution in road visibility which can cause vehicle crash without prior warning.
FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall to retorque the wiper nuts to the required torque on all affected vehicles. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods. This recall is estimated to launch in 2nd Quarter of 2020.
We ask that you please take the time to ensure that your personnel are aware of this communication and are prepared to execute a customer friendly process for inquiries regarding involved vehicles.
Customer Services Field Operations
FCA US LLC
4 Affected Products
7 Associated Documents
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Owner Notification Letter(Part 577) (W25)
Owner Notification Letter(Part 577) - (already remedied) (W25)
Defect Notice 573 Report
Recall 573 Report
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- Fit for J hook wiper arm. 1 Year warranty.
- Solid quality at a low price.
- Award-winning bracketless beam design. Superior performance in rain & snow.
- Conforms to windshield curve. Blade cover is designed to prevent dirt & debris buildup.
- Aerodynamic shape eliminates collection of debris around blade.
- Bosch ICON makes windshield wiper replacement easy with 2-pack bundles that include popular driver and passenger side blade length combinations
- Exclusive fx dual rubber resists heat and ozone deterioration and proven to last up to 40% longer than other premium wiper blades
- Easy installation with original equipment-quality hook adapter (Hook arm 9x3 & 9x4)
- Patented beam design with shielded connector optimizes visibility even under extreme weather conditions
- Exclusive tension spring arcing technology creates a fit that s custom-contoured to the curvature of each side of the windshield
- 【FITMENT】: Replacement for 2009-2018 Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500 / 4500; J-Hook 100% fitment guaranteed.
- 【REPLACEMENT】: RAIN-X 5079279-2 / AERO-J2222 / AERO-22-22 / AERO-G1-2222 / MICHELIN 3722 / WLJH2222OEM
- 【NATURAL RUBBER】: AAA level Natural rubber squeegee resists cracking caused by heat, cold, windshield wiper fluid and salt; quieter operation keeps you focused on driving your car
- 【SEIKO MANUFACTURING】: The galvanized steel frame prevents rust and corrosion - Extend the life of the windshield wiper blade. Multiple press points wiper design perfectly fits the windshield
- ★ WORRY-FREE SHOPPING ★: OTUAYAUTO Product provide 12-month warranty. Includes 22 Inch wiper blade x 2; please check the part number before purchasing to ensure fitment
- Features exclusive DirectConnect one-step installation system. Covers: Pin arm(6.35mm), Hook arm(9x3, 9x4)
- Enclosed metal tension spring for improved all-season wiping performance
- Precision-cut natural rubber wiping edge for quieter operation
- Aerodynamic all-steel frame with clipped joints
- Exclusive zinc dichromate primer
- WIPER RUBBER USED ON TRAINS, SHIPS & AIRCRAFT – Our Beam Force XTREME wiper blades are fitted with Japanese ‘FUKOKU’ rubber used on wiper blades for trains, ships and aircraft - a brand of rubber universally recognized for ultimate visibility and safety.
- SECUREST J-HOOK CONNECTION AVAILABLE – Unlike standard J-Hook or multi-adapter wiper blades, our DirectFit™ adapters are mounted directly onto the frame of the blade and will NOT loosen over time when installed properly.
- CHOOSING A BEAM TYPE BLADE – Beam blades have very few moving parts that allow it to last much longer vs. conventional blades. Tension springs inside the frame offer infinite pressure points for evenly distributed aerodynamic pressure along the entire curvature of the windshield for quiet & complete wipes.
- REGRET FREE 6 MONTH WARRANTY – Our Beam Force XTREME wiper blades have been meticulously developed to win customers for life - we hope our 6 Month Warranty commitment and friendly family-run customer support reflect that.
- FREE SAME BUSINESS DAY SHIPPING DIRECTLY FROM OUR WAREHOUSE – You can expect Amazon Prime level ship speeds of your wiper blades - accurately picked, carefully packed and shipped damage-free directly to your door - or your money back!
- Smart Hinge joints allow the wiper to grip windshield securely across entire blade
- Patented Smart Hinge cover protects blade from getting clogged with snow, ice and debris
- Blade ends have independent suspension to adjust to your windshield’s shape, ensuring secure grip to ends of blade
- EZ-Lok connector system for quick replacement
- Independent tests show after 300,000 wipe cycles Michelin Stealth Ultra wipers outperform all industry competitors
- Fits for 2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche,2008-2013 Chevrolet Silverado,2007-2013 Chevrolet Tahoe Chevrolet Suburban 1500
- Fits for 2008-2013 GMC Sierra, 2007-2013 GMC Yukon, 2007 GMC Sierra New Body Style
- Fits for 2007-2013 Cadillac Escalade, Cadillac Escalade ESV, 2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade EXT
- Fits for Mercedes-Benz 2-Door 2005-2013 SLK-CLASS R171 CHASSIS , 2014-CURRENT SLK-CLASS R172 CHASSIS
- Quantity:Complete set of 2 pc (Left and right) 22"/22" Pinch Tab, (Not Fit For U & J Hook Wiper Arm，please see description for full fitment details)
- AERO wipers are direct OEM replacement, quality and fitment are guaranteed
- 1 Year warranty from aerowiper - The best in the industry
- Extra rubber refills offer 2 times the performance life
- Specially blended rubber with teflon coating delivers the ultimate smooth, clean, chatter-free wipe
- Aerodynamic design significantly reduces drag, noise and wind lift
- 【Presenting an Extra Pair of Refills】:1 pair of windshield wiper blades and an extra pair of refills for our wipers,the Type-G blades fit the U/J hook(9*3 & 9*4) wiper arms.
- 【0 Streak Wiping】:Galvanized single steel sheet enhances the down-force accuracy by 50%,giving you an optimal windshield contact,without leaving any gaps while the wiper working.
- 【Stay Firmly in Place】:Zinc alloy pedestal provides you an excellent stability,the same with the aerodynamic wind spoiler.Preventing the blade lift-off when in a high speed.
- 【Minimum Audible Noise and a Longer Life】:Graphite-treated natural rubber to help reduce noise and friction as much as possible,the mixed material spoiler ensures a longer life.
- 【You Deserve to Have the Better Ones】:Easy and quick installation,install in seconds.All weather performance and guaranteed for 6 months.
Last update on 2020-08-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API