NUMBER: 07-004-01 REV A
DATE: Dec. 14, 2001
High Engine Temperatures Due To Extended In-Gear Idling In Hot Ambient Temperatures
This bulletin involves replacement of the cooling fan and fan drive. Certain 2000 M.Y. Wranglers will also require selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software (2000 TJ – Calibration Level Cal15A).
|2000 – 2001||(TJ)||Wrangler|
Engine coolant temperatures may rise high enough to cause the Check Gauges light to illuminate, indicating high engine coolant temperature. This condition is likely to happen after extended periods of idling, with the transmission in Drive, the air conditioning on, and with ambient temperatures greater than 35° C. (95° F.).
- Verify that the cooling system is in good working condition.
- Verify that the engine coolant mixture contains the proper amount of antifreeze.
- If the customer complains of the above condition, and the vehicle is a 2000 Wrangler with PCM software that is earlier (lower or less) than the calibration listed above, perform the complete Repair Procedure.
- If the customer complains of the above condition, and the vehicle is either a 2001 Wrangler or it is a 2000 Wrangler with PCM software already at calibration level 15A or later, then perform only Step 1 of the Repair Procedure (replace only the fan and fan drive).
**THE FAN WILL RUN MORE OFTEN BECAUSE THE FAN CLUTCH WILL NOW ENGAGE AT LOWER TEMPERATURES.**
|1||**05066177AA**||Clutch, Fan Drive|
|1||04669020||Label, Authorized Software Update|
|1||04275086||Label, Authorized Modification|
|CH6000||Scan Tool (DRB III)|
|CH7035||General Purpose Interface Bus Cable (GPIB)|
|MDS2 (Mopar Diagnostic System)|
NOTE: THE MDS2 AND DRB III ARE REQUIRED TO PERFORM PART OF THIS REPAIR. WHEN USING THE MDS2 AND THE DRB III, THE SYSTEM MUST BE OPERATING AT CIS CD 2064 OR HIGHER.
- Replace the cooling fan and viscous fan drive. Refer to the appropriate Wrangler Service Manual, Section 7 – Cooling Engine, for detailed fan and fan drive removal and installation instructions. The Service Manual procedures may be found on the MDS2.
Verify the current PCM software calibration level (2000 Wrangler only). If the 2000 Wrangler PCM software calibration level is earlier (less or lower) than 2000 TJ – Calibration Level 15A, then proceed with steps 2 though 4.
NOTE: THE FOLLOWING STEPS ARE REQUIRED BY LAW.
- Type the necessary information on the “Authorized Software Update Label” p/n 04669020 ( 1). Attach the label to the PCM and cover the label with the clear plastic overlay.
- Type the necessary information on the “Authorized Modification Label” p/n 04275086 and attach the label near the VECI label ( 2).
1 – POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE P/N (INSERT P/N) USED
2 – CHANGE AUTHORITY: TSB XX-XX-XX
3 – DEALER CODE: XXXXX
4 – DATE: XX-XX-XX
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
|Labor Operation No:|
|07-20-01-95||Replace Cooling Fan and Clutch Drive||0.3 Hrs.|
|08-19-49-98||Reprogram PCM||0.5 Hrs.|
THIS BULLETIN SUPERCEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 07-004-01, DATED JULY 20, 2001, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL CHANGES ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE A REVISED FAN DRIVE.
Chrysler J2534 Application Overview
The Chrysler J2534 System is a combination of the J2534 Application (2010 and newer Model Year Support) and the Chrysler J2534 Flash Application (2009-1996 Model Year Support). J2534 aftermarket users are required and responsible for installing the J2534 device driver provided by the device manufacturer. If you need support installing the device driver software contact the device manufacturer. See the related article “Chrysler J2534 Manual” for additional information. Chrysler J2534 application provides below capabilities:
|The Chrysler J2534 Flash Application:|
|Application Usage and Support|
Chrysler Recommended J2534 Devices
|J2534 Device||Firmware Version|
|CTC Vehicle Box *||1.9|
|Blue Streak -2534 Global Programmer||2.10|
|Actia I+ME Passthru||2.07|
* Chrysler recommends the CTC Vehicle Box Device for Chrysler SCI ECU reprogramming. SCI reprogramming is used on most PCMs and TCMs prior to the introduction of CAN bus vehicles which began in 2004 (Durango).
Chrysler J2534 System Support:
Chrysler J2534 System
PC Requirements for Chrysler J2434 System:
Chrysler J2434 System Release Notes:
Please click here to view the Application Release Notes.
Chrysler J2434 System Download:
Chrysler ECU Flash Availability matrix:
A harness adaptor is required to update certain vehicles. The following tables list which vehicles / modules require which adaptor. Adaptors can be purchased through the SPX Miller Special Tools program. See SPX Miller Special Tools program for details.
MLR-J2534-MMC required on:
|SBEC III||1996 – 1997||SEBRING / AVENGER (FJ)|
|ETAX III||1996 – 1997||SEBRING / AVENGER (FJ)|
|SBEC IIIA||1997 – 1998||SEBRING / AVENGER (FJ)|
|ETAX IIIA||1997 – 1998||SEBRING / AVENGER (FJ)|
|Powertrain||2001 – 2201||SEBRING / STRATUS COUPE (ST)|
MLR-J2534-TCM required on:
|ETAX IIIB||2003 – 2004||SEBRING / STRATUS SEDAN (JR)|
|ETAX IVA||2005 – 2006||LIBERTY (DIESEL) JEEP (KJ)|
Additional Information and Known Issues / Concerns:
If you are reprogramming the 5.9L diesel engine controller on the 1996-2008 Dodge RAM vehicle, it is necessary to also reprogram the VIN after the ECU has been flashed. To write the VIN to the ECU, you may use aftermarket software support, or use an OEM FCA US LLC scan tool (DRBIII or StarSCAN). For more information, see the FCA US LLC Scan Tool Lease Options section.
- 1996-2009 ALL PCMs
If you are REPLACING a PCM or ECM and the vehicle is equipped with a theft deterrent system (Sentry Key), it must be initialized to properly function with the Anti Theft module. You also need to reprogram the VIN when replacing a PCM or ECM. To write the VIN to the ECU and initialize the PCM to work with the theft deterrent system, you may use aftermarket software support, or use an OEM FCA US LLC scan tool (DRBIII or StarSCAN). For more information, see the FCA US LLC Scan Tool Lease Options section.
FCA US LLC Scan Tool Lease Options:
- For 2009 model year vehicles and prior, it may be necessary to use either a DRBIII or a StarSCAN to perform function required after ECU replacement. To lease the DRBIII call 1-586-532-8400 or click here.
- Beginning with 2010 MY, function required to replace an ECU will be supported via the J2534 application.