June 10, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V439000
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V439
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US, LLC)
Potential Number of Units Affected 32,002
Chrysler (FCA US, LLC) is recalling certain 2019-2020 Ram 3500, 4500, and 5500 cab chassis vehicles equipped with a Cummins 6.7L High Output engine. The engine calibration software may not warn about low oil volume.
Dealers will update the engine calibration software, free of charge. Owner notification letters were mailed June 25, 2021. Owners may contact FCA US LLC customer service at 1-800-853-1403. FCA US LLC’s number for this recall is Y21.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – Y21
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
Some of the above vehicles may have an oil life monitor strategy that does not provide adequate warning of oil consumption which may allow engine oil volume to fall below an acceptable level. Low oil volume in the engine can cause a lack of oil film on the main bearings, deteriorating the bearing which can result in engine damage, which may puncture the engine block, and may lead to a vehicle fire which increases the risk of injury to occupants and persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage.
FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall to reprogram the powertrain control module calibration software to include enhanced oil life monitoring. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods. This recall is estimated to launch in the 2nd Quarter of 2021.
Revision (1) June 2021
Dealer Service Instructions for:
Safety Recall Y21 / NHTSA 21V-439 Powertrain Control Module Software
NOTE: The last bullet point on page 9 of this document was revised for clarity.
|2019 – 2020||(DD)||Ram 3500 Cab Chassis|
|(DP)||Ram 4500/5500 Cab Chassis|
NOTE: Some vehicles above may have been identified as not involved in this recall and therefore have been excluded from this recall.
IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also consider this requirement to apply to used vehicle inventory and should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) on about 34,000 of the above vehicles may have an oil life monitor strategy that does not provide adequate warning of oil consumption which may allow engine oil volume to fall below an acceptable level. Low oil volume in the engine can cause a lack of oil film on the main bearings, deteriorating the bearing which can result in engine damage, which may puncture the engine block and may lead to a vehicle fire which increases the risk of injury to occupants and persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage.
NOTE: You may be presented with two calibration choices when reprogramming the PCM. Please follow the inspection steps closely to avoid choosing the incorrect calibration. Choosing the incorrect calibration will result in an undesirable noise from the High Pressure Fuel Pump, requiring the PCM to be reprogrammed again with the correct calibration.
NOTE: All known FCA customers involved in this recall have been mailed information regarding the Oil Change Indicator System. Please print the last page of this document and provide it to the customer. This document is intended to explain the remedy and potential effects it may have on the vehicle that the customer may notice after the recall has been completed.
No parts are required to perform this service procedure.
No parts return required for this campaign.
The following special tools are required to perform this repair:
|➢ NPN||wiTECH MicroPod II|
|➢ NPN||Laptop Computer|
|➢ NPN||wiTECH Software|
- Inspection Procedure
The fuel injection pump must be inspected to determine which design
determine which calibration will need to be programmed into the PCM. pump is installed on the vehicle. Older design pumps have an Asymmetrical design internal cam. The newer design pumps have a
Symmetrical design internal cam. The design of the pump will
From outward appearance both pumps look identical, with the exception of specific identification marks machined into the body of the pump.
- Inspect the fuel injection pump to see which pump the vehicle has.
➢ Vehicles with the new style Symmetrical pump will have one large single dot embossed in the pump housing (Figure 1).
- For vehicles equipped with a Symmetrical pump, choose the calibration labeled Symmetric, or Sym Pump (Figure 1).
- Vehicles with the old style Asymmetrical pump will have multiple dots embossed in the pump housing (Figure 2).
- For vehicles with an Asymmetrical pump, choose the calibration labeled Asymmetric or Asym Pump (Figure 2).
- Proceed to section B. Reprogramming the PCM Procedure
- Reprogramming the PCM Procedure
CAUTION: Do not interrupt the software update process in any way once NOTE: The wiTECH scan tool must be used to perform this recall. The it has begun. It may cause permanent damage to the PCM which will require replacement. It is highly recommended to have a new generic PCM unit available at the workshop before starting the Repair Procedure.
- Open the hood. Install a battery charger and verify that the charging rate provides 13.0 to 13.5 volts. Do not allow the charger to time out during the flash process. Set the battery charger timer (if so equipped) to continuous charge.
NOTE: Use an accurate stand-alone voltmeter. The battery charger volt meter may not be sufficiently accurate. Voltages outside of the specified range will cause an unsuccessful flash. If voltage reading is too high, apply an electrical load by activating the park or headlamps and/or HVAC blower motor to lower the voltage.
- Connect the wiTECH micro pod II to the vehicle data link connector.
- Place the ignition in the “RUN” position.
- Open the wiTECH 2.0 website.
- Enter your “User id” and “Password” and your “Dealer Code”, then select “Sign In” at the bottom of the screen. Click “Accept”.
- From the “Vehicle Selection” screen, select the vehicle to be updated.
- Using the wiTECH tool or the cluster display record the Oil Life percentage.
- From the “Action Items” screen, select the “Topology” tab.
- From the “Topology” tab, select the “PCM ” module icon.
- From the “Flash” tab, compare the “Current Electronic Control Unit (ECU) Part Number” with the “New ECU Part Number” listed.
- If the “Current ECU part Number” is the same as the “New Part Number”, proceed to Step 15.
- If the “Current ECU part Number” is NOT the same as the “New Part Number”, continue with Step 11.
- From the PCM tab, select the PCM flash part number. Read the flash special instructions page. Select “OK” to continue.
- From the flash ECU agreement page, agree to terms by checking the box.
- Select “Flash ECU” and then follow the wiTECH screen instructions to complete the flash.
- Confirm the software is at the latest available calibration level.
- Is the vehicle equipped with an 68RFE automatic transmission?
- If YES, proceed to Step 16. Ø If NO, proceed to Step 17.
- Perform the transmission “Quicklearn” procedure, Follow the detailed service procedure select “TCM”.
- Click “View DTCs”, select “Clear All DTCs”.
- Using wiTECH, perform the ‘Oil Life Restore” procedure located in the ECM “Misc. Functions” tab.
- Remove the wiTECH from the vehicle, disconnect the battery charger from the vehicle.
- Return the vehicle to the customer.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
Dear FCA vehicle owner:
FCA would like to provide the following information relating to enhancements in how your vehicle’s system will decide oil change intervals to help increase the life of your engine. Please read and follow this important information which is critical to maintain your vehicle’s engine life.
The information below applies to your vehicle once the safety recall Y21, has been completed.
OIL CHANGE INDICATOR SYSTEM — CUMMINS® DIESEL Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. This system will alert you when it is time to change your engine oil by displaying the words “Oil Change Due” in your instrument cluster display. The new engine oil change indicator system adds duty cycle tracking, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate depending on your personal driving style or workload of your truck. Failure to change the engine oil per the maintenance schedule or the oil change indicator system’s prompt can result in internal engine damage. An authorized dealer will reset the oil change indicator message after completing the scheduled oil change. If a scheduled oil change is performed by someone other than an authorized dealer, please reference the owner’s manual for instructions.
Replace the engine oil and oil filter every 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or 12 months, or sooner if prompted by the oil change indicator system. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or 12 months, whichever comes first. NOTE:
- Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or 12 months or 500 hours, whichever comes first.
- It is recommended that every 3,000 miles (4, 800 km), check the engine oil level at least 30 minutes after a fully warmed engine is shut off. Checking the oil level while the vehicle is on level ground will improve the accuracy of the oil level reading. Add oil only when the level is at or below the ADD or MIN mark.
- Severe service (high ambient temperature, short trips, heavy loading, trailer towing, off-road, or law enforcement use) may reduce the miles between oil changes.
Customer Assistance/Field Operations
FCA US LLC
FCA US LLC Recall Part Numbers
|Part Numbers by Model and Model Year|
|Ram 3500 Cab Chassis||Ram 4500/5500 Cab Chassis|
6 Affected Products
13 Associated Documents
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-21V439-8177
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-21V439-9259
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Dealer Notification re FCA US LLC (FCA US) has announced a safety recall on certain 2019 and 2020 Model Year (DD) Ram 3500 Cab Chassis and (DP) 4500/5500 Cab Chassis trucks equipped with a 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2021-2RCLQRT-21V439-5548
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-21V439-0146
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-21V439-0521
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2021-3
ISSUED Renotification NoticeRCRN-21V439-6758
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2021-4RCLQRT-21V439-8461
Latest Recalls Documents
- Full synthetic 5W-40 diesel engine oil with Triple Protection Plus technology protects against wear, deposits, oil breakdown, and improves low-temperature flow
- Exceptional wear protection for longer life in a wide range of heavy-duty engine applications — from pickup trucks to tractors to semi rigs
- Enhanced fuel economy capability of 1.5 percent without compromising engine protection or durability (compared to 15W-40 oils)
- Multi-functional dispersant additives provide an enhanced level of protection against the effects of soot, dirt, and other contaminants (compared to previous formulation)
- Increased shear stability for better viscosity control and optimal engine oil pressure
- For best performance, follow the manufacturer's recommendations in your vehicle owner’s manual.
- It satisfies the requirements as well as most other domestic and import diesel engine manufacturers
- Country of Origin : United States
- The Package Height of the Product is 14.0 inches
- The Package Length of the Product is 8.0 inches
- CRP organic, metallic, Moly plating technology for unsurpassed wear protection, oxidation, and high temp stability
- Friction modified and VI stabilizer pre-boosted; un-rivaled turbo-charger protection; will not create deposits and ash on turbo bearings (will not fry on the turbo)
- Contains state-of-the-art dispersal and ash control systems to keep your engine extremely clean
- Extreme drain intervals capabilities; 25,000-mile drain interval for pickups and 80,000 for class 8 semi-trucks
- Eliminates the need to clean diesel particulate filters and is for use in virtually all diesel-powered pickups and heavy-duty trucks, both pre 2007 and post 2007 models fitted with emission control systems
- EXCELLENT WEAR PROTECTION IN HEAVY DUTY APPLICATIONS that can take a toll on critical internal moving parts
- RESISTS OXIDATION AND FIGHTS DEPOSITS & SLUDGE with higher quality synthetic base oils and special inhibitors
- PROTECTS DURING COLD START UPS WHILE CONTROLING SOOT as heavy-duty equipment can sit idle for extended periods of time
- ADVANCED FUEL ECONOMY up to 1.5% over 15W-40 conventional oils in on-highway operations
- UNIQUE 5,000 MILES OIL DRAINS EXTENSION in Cummins X15/X12 engines when average is 7mpg or higher
- ✅ Cleaner motor and resistance to oil thickening.
- ✅ Prevents the formation of varnishes, sludge and deposits generated at high shear rate.
- ✅ Meets an exceeds all requirements for pump-ability and high temperature and high shear rate.
- ✅ Contributes to extend periods between oil change.
- ✅ Provides maximum protection against corrosion and rust formation.
- Exceptional resistance to high-temperature varnish and low-temperature sludge deposits to help keep engines clean
- Wide viscosity range provides outstanding protection consistent with an SAE 40 grade oil at high temperatures, combined with the easy cold-start performance of a 5W rated oil
- Outstanding wear protection
- Excellent high- and low-temperature performance; Pours at temperatures as low as -53 degree Fahrenheit and protects at oil temperatures as high as 400 degree Fahrenheit
- Improved protection against sludge and harmful deposits; Excellent fuel economy benefits
- Unique Additive Technology for UNSURPASSED WEAR PROTECTION, oxidation, and high temp stability. 60% lower wear than leading lubricants and standards. WIDE RANGE COMPATIBLE - Compatible with all heavy-duty diesel engines.
- HIGHEST VISCOSITY INDEX any 5W-40 motor oil, of any brand, with exceptional stability and flow properties. Friction modified and VI stabilizer pre-boosted. Un-rivaled turbo-charger protection, will not create deposits and ash on turbo bearings (will not fry on the turbo). Up to 4% Fuel economy vs any 15W-40. COLD FLOW - Exceptional cold flow down to - 46 F.
- OUTSTANDING POWER-STROKE PERFORMANCE Including 6.0 L turbo diesel: ELIMINATES STICTION AND INJECTOR ISSUES that plague Power-stroke engines - No need for additional additives - Contains state-of-the-art dispersal and ash control systems to keep your engine extremely clean.
- EXTREME DRAIN CAPABILITIES: 25,000 mile drain interval for pickups and 80,000 for class 8 semi-trucks*
- WHAT WILL YOU NOTICE THE FIRST TIME YOU SWITCH? - Dramatic reduction of engine noise. Improved fuel economy by at least 2%. Substantially longer drain intervals vs all other brands. Virtually no deposits on turbos. Significantly improved oil analysis results and engine durability.
- Synthetic blend 15W-40 diesel engine oil with Triple Protection Plus technology protects against wear, deposits, and oil breakdown
- Ideal for on-highway fleets, construction, and agricultural machinery, and diesel pickup trucks — including high-power vehicles that require resistance to heat and stress
- Improves low-temperature flow (compared to conventional 15W-40 oils)
- Helps control engine deposits for reliability at extended oil drain intervals (always follow the OEM recommended oil drain interval)
- Controls engine wear 37 percent better than the maximum wear requirements in API CK-4 engine wear tests
Last update on 2023-01-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.