DATE: Nov. 14, 2003
Brake Shudder or Vibration
This bulletin involves installing brake pads, resurfacing the rotors and check rotor runout.
The vehicle may exhibit pulsation or vibration in the brake pedal and/or steering wheel when the brakes are applied. The condition is most noticeable at speed over 50 MPH but can occur at lower speeds.
If the customers indicate that the condition is present, perform the Repair Procedure.
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
|One of the Following
DaimlerChrysler Approved On Car Disc Rotor Lathes:
|PC-610, PC-CHRYSLER, PC-TRUCK, PC-CROSTRUCK, PC-PFMTRUCK, PC-PFMCHRYSLER, PC-PFM900, PC-PFMCHRYSLER-95, PC-PFMTRUCK-95, PC-PFM900-95, PC-PFM90.2, PC-PFM90.4, PC-PFM90||- H-OCL360, H-OCL360-LT-PRO, H-OCL360-LT-PSE,
H-OCL360A, H-OCL360A-LT-PRO, H-OCL360A-LT-PSE, H-OCL360S,
- Inspect the front brakes for any signs of abnormal wear or damage. Repair as necessary.
- Resurface the front brake rotors with a DaimlerChrylsler approved on-car brake lathe. If an on-car lathe is not available at the dealership, the rotor resurfacing must be sublet to a facility with an approved on car lathe.
- Remove the calipers.
- Replace the front linings with 05093796AB.
- Mark one wheel stud on each side with a dab of paint or suitable marker.
- Install the wheel and pre-tighten the lug nuts in a cross pattern to: 70 Nm (50 ft. lbs.) then final the lug nuts in a cross pattern to: 135 Nm (100 ft. lbs.) and mark the wheel at the same location as the marked wheel stud.
- Set up a dial indicator to measure mounted rotor runout . Place the dial indicator plunger against the inner machined rotor face, visible between the brake caliper and the front splash shield. Rotate the wheel and tire assembly two turns and take runout measurement. If the measurement is less than .050 mm (.002 in.) no further action is required. If the measurement is greater than .050 mm (.002 in.) remove the lug nuts and relocate the wheel one stud clockwise, tighten the lug nuts as described in step 8 and check the runout again. Do not remove any brake parts. Repeat step 9 for each wheel location until you achieve the lowest mounted runout. Minimum mounted rotor runout will be achieved by moving the wheel, not the rotor.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
|Labor Operation No:||Description||Amount|
|05-21-11-90||Replace Brake Pads, Resurface Rotors and Check Rotor Run Out||1.8 Hrs.|
|2X||Vibration or Chatter|