NUMBER: 18-085-16 REV. A
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: October 21, 2016
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 18-085-16, DATED JULY 19, 2016, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES AN ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC), SYMPTOM/CONDITION AND LOP.
FOR HELP WITH USING wiTECH FOR ECU FLASH REPROGRAMMING, CLICK ON THE APPLICATION’S “HELP” TAB.
THE wiTECH SOFTWARE IS REQUIRED TO BE AT THE LATEST RELEASE BEFORE PERFORMING THIS PROCEDURE.
Flash: 3.6L Diagnostic And System Improvements
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with updated software.
|2015 – 2016||(RT)||Chrysler Town & Country|
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before June 20, 2016 (MDH 0620XX) equipped with 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine (Sales Code ERB).
The customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the technician may find one or more of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
- **P0456 – EVAP System Small Leak.**
- P0335 – Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit.
- P0116 – Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 1 Performance.
- P2097 – Down Stream Fuel Trim System 1 Rich (15 MY only).
- U0140 – Lost Communication With Body Control Module (15 MY only).
- P0300 – Multiple Cylinder Misfire, sets at idle on a cold engine (15 MY only).
- P000A – Bank 1 Camshaft 1 Position Slow Response (15 MY only).
- P000B – Bank 1 Camshaft 2 Position Slow Response (15 MY only).
- P000C – Bank 2 Camshaft 1 Position Slow Response (15 MY only).
- P000D – Bank 2 Camshaft 2 Position Slow Response (15 MY only).
- **Correct a remote start issue due to previous software update.**
- Improved idle stability (15 MY only).
- Improved first transmission shift after start up (15 MY only).
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify all related systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs other than the ones listed above are present, record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the customer describes the symptom/condition or if the technician finds the DTCs, perform the Repair Procedure.
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
- Reprogram the PCM with the latest software. Detailed instructions for flashing control modules using the wiTECH Diagnostic Application are available by selecting the application’s “HELP” tab.
- Clear any DTCs that may have been set in any module due to reprogramming. The wiTECH application will automatically present all DTCs after the flash and allow them to be cleared.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
|Labor Operation No:||Description||Skill Category||Amount|
|**18-19-06-NK||Module, Powertrain Control (PCM) Reprogram (0 – Introduction)||1 – Engine Repair And Performance||0.2 Hrs.**|
NOTE: The expected completion time for the flash download portion of this procedure is approximately 6 minutes. Actual flash download times may be affected by vehicle connection and network capabilities.
The dealer must choose which failure code to use. If the customer came in with an issue and if the dealer finds a software update to correct that issue, use failure code CC, for all other use failure code RF.
- If the customer’s concern matches the SYMPTOM/CONDITION identified in the Service Bulletin, failure code CC is to be used.
- If an available flash is completed while addressing a different customer concern, failure code RF is to be used.