GROUP: Transmission and Transfer Case
DATE: June 04, 2016
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 21-030-15 REV. A, DATED SEPTEMBER 02, 2015 WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE UPDATED SYMPTOM/CONDITION, DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCs) AND LABOR OP.
FOR HELP WITH USING wiTECH FOR ECU FLASH REPROGRAMMING, CLICK ON THE APPLICATION’S “HELP” TAB.
THE wiTECH SOFTWARE IS REQUIRED TO BE AT THE LATEST RELEASE BEFORE PERFORMING THIS PROCEDURE.
Flash: Transmission Shift And Drivability Enhancements
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 2.4L Engine (Sales Code ED6) and 948TE transmission (Sales Code DFH).
A small number of customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the technician may find one or more of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
- **P061B-00 – Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance.
- P072F-00 – Stuck In Gear 4.**
- P0711 – Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor A Circuit Range-Performance.
- P1DAD – Input Shaft-Output Shaft Direction Correlation.
- P1CC9 – Unable to Engage Gear.
- P1D98 – Incorrect Gear Ratio Clutch B or D Defective.
- U1424 – Implausible Engine Torque Signal Received.
In addition to correcting the DTCs listed this software update includes the following enhancements:
- **Coast down bump on 7-6, 6-5, 5-4, 5-3 downshift improvements.
- Cold 1-2, 2-3 upshift improvements.
- 1-2, 2-3 upshift flare control improvements.
- Power-on upshift improvements.
- Lift foot upshift 2-3, 4-5, 8-9 improvements.**
- Garage shift improvements (Shifting from Park or Neutral to Drive or Reverse).
- 1-2 Shift Quality improvements.
- Improved engine performance under certain operating conditions (High Altitude, High Ambient Temperatures and High Humidity).
- Hill shift pattern optimization.
- Improved redline shift performance.
- Improved upshifts, downshifts, coast down shifts and tip shifts.
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify all related systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs or symptom conditions, other than the ones listed above are present, record the issues on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above or if the technician finds the DTC, perform the Repair Procedure.
NOTE: The Engine Control Module (ECM) must be updated to the latest available software at the conclusion of this repair procedure. Refer to all applicable published service bulletins for detailed repair procedures and labor times regarding updating the ECM software.
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
- Reprogram the TCM with the latest software. Detailed instructions for flashing control modules using the wiTECH Diagnostic Application are available by selecting the application’s “HELP” tab.
- Clear all DTCs that may have been set in any module due to reprogramming. The wiTECH application will automatically present all DTCs after the flash and allow them to be cleared.
- Verify the ECM is programmed with the latest available software. Refer to all applicable published service bulletins for detailed repair procedures and labor times regarding updating the ECM software.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
|Labor Operation No:||Description||Skill Category||Amount|
|**18-19-05-DG||Module, Transmission Control (TCM) – Reprogram (0 – Introduction)||21 – Transmission and Transfer Case||0.2 Hrs.**|
NOTE: The expected completion time for the flash download portion of this procedure is approximately 4 minutes. Actual flash download times may be affected by vehicle connection and network capabilities.
The dealer must choose which failure code to use. If the customer came in with an issue and the dealer found updated software to correct that issue, use failure code CC, for all other use failure code RF.
- If the customer’s concern matches the SYMPTOM/CONDITION identified in the Service Bulletin, failure code CC is to be used.
- If an available flash is completed while addressing a different customer concern, failure code RF is to be used.
Chrysler Recommended J2534 Devices
For Chrysler recommended J2534 device, see below table.
|J2534 Device||Firmware Version|
|CTC Vehicle Box *||1.9|
|Blue Streak -2534 Global Programmer||2.10|
|Actia I+ME Passthru||2.07|
* Chrysler recommends the CTC Vehicle Box Device for Chrysler SCI ECU reprogramming. SCI reprogramming is used on most PCMs and TCMs prior to the introduction of CAN bus vehicles which began in 2004 (Durango).