GROUP: Differential & Driveline
DATE: June 06, 2015
Drone Noise At Steady State Engine RPM
|2014 – 2015||(KL)||Jeep Cherokee|
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before August 30, 2014 (MDH 0830XX) equipped with Jeep Active Drive I (sales code DK2).
The customer may describe a drone noise at steady state engine rpm. The drone noise may sound similar to a louder than normal engine/exhaust noise. Noise may be heard in any transmission gear and at any vehicle speed around the specified engine rpm, however the noise is most noticeable in higher gears at a steady cruising speed. The rear drive module must be engaged in order for the rear axle shafts to produce the noise.
- 4L engines; noise typically occurs around 2200 engine rpm.
- 2L engines; noise typically occurs around 1400 engine rpm.
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.
|1||68257064AA||SHAFT, Axle Half, Left|
|1||68257065AA||SHAFT, Axle Half, Right|
- Test drive the vehicle with the rear drive module engaged and at the specified engine rpm listed in the Symptom/Condition statement. Does the noise match the symptom described in the Symptom/Condition statement?
- YES>>> The noise matches the Symptom/Condition statement. Continue to Step #2.
- NO>>> The noise does not match the Symptom/Condition statement. This bulletin does not apply. Normal diagnostics should be performed.
- Replace the right and left rear half shafts. Refer to the detailed service procedures available in DealerCONNECT> TechCONNECT under: Service Info> 03 – Differential and Driveline> Half Shaft, Rear> Removal/Installation.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
|Labor Operation No:||Description||Skill Category||Amount|
|03-20-03-90||Test Drive Only (2 – Skilled)||6 – Electrical and Body Systems||0.2 Hrs.|
|03-20-03-91||Replace the Left and Right rear half shafts (Includes Test Drive) (2 – Skilled)||6 – Electrical and Body Systems||2.6 Hrs.|