February 22, 2018 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 18V131000
An engine stall can increase the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V131
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Potential Number of Units Affected 9
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2017 Jeep Renegade vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine. These vehicles may be equipped with a cracked oil pump housing/balance shaft module (BSM), which can cause the oil pump to fail and the engine to stall.
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the oil pump for its production information, and replace the BSM as necessary, free of charge. The recall began March 13, 2018. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler’s number for this recall is U18.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Dealer Service Instructions for:
Safety Recall U18 / NHTSA 18V-131 Engine Oil Pump
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (Sales Code ED6) built from November 08, 2017 through November 09, 2017 (MDH 110800 through 110924).
|IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also consider this requirement toapply to used vehicle inventory and should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.|
The engine oil pump on about 9 of the above vehicles may have been built with a cracked engine oil pump housing. A crack may propagate through the housing and cause the oil pump to fail. If the oil pump fails, it may cause the engine to stall. An engine stall could cause a crash without prior warning.
|Balance Shaft Module||1||05047992AC|
|Bolt, Splash Shield||3||06511057AA|
|Bolt, Ladder Frame||4||06509278AA|
|Bolt, Oil Pan||2||06508985AA|
|Bolt, A/C Compressor Bracket||3||06509285AA|
|Oil, Engine 0-20W (MS-12145)||6 Quarts||68218950AB|
|Sealant, RTV (MSGF44B)||1||04883971AC|
|Pan Assy, Engine Oil||1||05047566AC|
|Bolt, Oil Pan||16||06509140AA|
No parts return required for this campaign.
No special tools are required to perform this service procedure.
A. Balance Shaft Module Inspection
- Open the hood.
- Remove and save the engine oil dipstick.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
Figure 1 – Right Splash Shield
- If equipped – remove the lower A/C compressor mounting bolt (Figure 2).
- Remove the three A/C mounting bracket bolts; save the bracket discard the bolts (Figure 2).
- If equipped remove the right side support bracket bolt and loosen the front bolt, move the bracket away enough to clear the oil pan obstruction (Figure 3).
- Remove the three exhaust manifold support bolts and save (Figure 4).
Figure 4 – Exhaust Support Bracket
- Remove the oil pan bolts.
NOTE: Do not use pry points on block to remove the oil pan
- Remove and discard the oil pan.
- Remove the three oil splash shield screws and discard the screws (Figure 5).
Figure 5 – Oil Pump Splash Shield
- Using a light, source look for the cavity number that’s on the left rear balance shaft casting (Figure 6).
a. If the casting cavity number is, “KD.8” proceed with section “B” Balance shaft module removal procedure Step 1.
b. If the casting cavity number is NOT “KD.8”, proceed with section “C” Balance Shaft Module Installation Procedure Step 10.
B. Balance shaft module removal procedure
- Bar the engine over and align the timing mark on the crankshaft accessory belt pulley with the mark on the timing chain cover (Figure 7).
- Verify that the mark on the balance shaft module chain sprocket aligns with the mark on the balance shaft module housing (Figure 8).
NOTE: Oil Splash Shield removed for illustration of timing mark on module.
- Install one air-conditioning compressor bracket bolt into the right forward corner thread boss (Figure 9).
NOTE: The bolt will provide a sturdy point to secure a tie strap to hold the tensioner in the compressed position.
- Apply a paint mark on the chain link that is aligned with the drive sprocket mark (Figure 9).
- Position a plastic tie strap around the chain, tensioner and bolt that was previously installed (Figure 9).
- Push the chain, guide and tensioner to the compressed position.
- Tighten the tie strap to hold the components together.
NOTE: The tighter the strap, the more room for removal and installation of the balance shaft module.
- Remove the four balance shaft module mounting bolts (Figure 10).
- Remove the balance shaft module from the engine by tilting the rear of the balance shaft module downward while lifting the drive gear out of the chain links.
- Clean the oil pan mounting surface and remove any residual sealant.
CAUTION: Do not use an aggressive abrasive to remove the sealant this may damage the mounting surface.
- Continue with section “C” Balance Shaft Module Installation Procedure.
C. Balance Shaft Module Installation Procedure
- Remove the NEW balance shaft module from the shipping box and verify the alignment pin is aligned with the drive sprocket mark and splash shield cover
Figure 11 – Alignment Pin
- With the rear of the balance shaft module on a slight downward angle, position the gear into the chain links. Make sure the mark on the NEW balance shaft module and the paint mark on the chain link are aligned.
- Pivot balance shaft module upwards and position on ladder frame.
- Install the four NEW balance shaft module bolts finger tight.
NOTE: The balance shaft module bolts are tightened using a torque plus angle procedure. The bolts must be replaced.
- Tighten the NEW balance shaft module bolts in the sequence shown below, follow the three-step torque procedure, and crisscrossing tightening the opposite bolt 1-2-3-4 an ending with a torque angle method (Figure 10).
- Step 1: All to 15 N·m (11 ft. lbs.).
- Step 2: All to 29 N·m (22 ft. lbs.).
- Step 3: All an additional 90°. Do not use a torque wrench for this step
- Double check the alignment marks to ensure the gear indicator and balance shaft module assembly indicator are aligned (Figure 7 and 8).
- Remove the alignment pin from the balance shaft module.
- Remove the tie strap.
- Remove the A/C compressor-mounting bolt.
- Install the NEW splash shield bolts and tighten to 9 N·m (6 ft. lbs).
- Clean the oil pan sealing surfaces with isopropyl alcohol or equivalent in preparation for sealant application.
- Apply Mopar® Engine Sealant RTV Silicone Rubber Adhesive or equivalent at the front cover to the engine block parting lines.
- Apply a 2 mm bead of Mopar® Engine Sealant RTV Silicone Rubber Adhesive or equivalent around the NEW oil pan as shown (Figure 12).
Figure 12 – Oil Pan Sealant Application
- Install the NEW oil pan and NEW bolts tighten the bolts as indicated:
- 00×16.35 – 10N·m (7 ft. lbs.) Quantity of 16.
- 25X104 – 26 N·m (19 ft. lbs.) Quantity of 2.
- Install the AC compressor to engine block supporting bracket and tighten the NEW bolts as indicated:
- 25×30.00 – 30 N·m (22 ft. lbs.) Quantity of 3.
- Install the AC compressor mounting bolt and tighten to 28 N·m (21ft. lbs.).
- Install the exhaust support bracket and tighten the three bolts to 20N·m (15 ft. lbs).
- If equipped install the right side support bracket bolt and tighten to 10 N·m (7 ft. lbs.).
- If equipped – install the underbody engine belly pan/skid plates and bolts and tighten to 20 N·m (15 ft. lbs.).
- Start the engine and check for an oil leak.
- Return the vehicle to the customer.
Completion Reporting and Reimbursement
Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims paid will be used by FCA to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.
Use the following labor operation numbers and time allowances:
|Inspect balance shaft cavity number||09-U1-81-81||1.5 hours|
|Inspect and replace balance shaft module||09-U1-81-82||1.7 hours|
|Skid Plate Equipped||09-U1-81-60||0.2 hours|
NOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.
To view this notification on DealerCONNECT, select “Global Recall System” on the Service tab, then click on the description of this notification.
Owner Notification and Service Scheduling
All involved vehicle owners known to FCA are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is attached.
Vehicle Lists, Global Recall System, VIP and Dealer Follow Up
All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.
GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner’s name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission.
To use this system, click on the “Service” tab and then click on “Global Recall System.” Your dealer’s VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence.
Dealers must perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair.
Recall VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this recall only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.
If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Service and Parts District Manager.
Customer Services / Field Operations
FCA US LLC
This notice applies to your vehicle,
[Model Year and Model]
VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX U18/NHTSA 18V-131
YOUR SCHEDULING OPTIONS
- Call the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403. An agent can confirm part availability and help schedule an appointment
- Visit mopar.com, scan the QR code below, or download the Mopar Owner’s Companion App.
Get access to recall notifications, locate your nearest dealer, and more through this website or Mopar Owner’s Companion App. You will be asked to provide your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to protect and verify your identity. The last eight characters of your VIN are provided above.
Please reference Safety Recall U18.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
Engine Oil Pump
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
FCA has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain [2017 Jeep® Renegade] vehicles.
It is extremely important to take steps now to repair your vehicle to ensure the safety of you and your passengers.
WHY DOES MY VEHICLE NEED REPAIRS?
The engine in your vehicle  may have been built with a cracked engine oil pump housing. The crack may propagate through the housing and cause the oil pump to fail. If the oil pump fails, it may cause the engine to stall. An engine stall could cause a crash without prior warning.
HOW DO I RESOLVE THIS IMPORTANT SAFETY ISSUE?
FCA will repair your vehicle  free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will inspect and replace the engine oil pump if needed. In addition, your dealer will require your vehicle for proper check-in, preparation, and check-out during your visit. Your time is important to us; please be aware that these steps may require more time. The estimated repair time is 2 hours. We recommend that you schedule a service appointment to minimize your inconvenience. Please bring this letter with you to your dealership.
WHAT IF I ALREADY PAID TO HAVE THIS REPAIR COMPLETED?
If you have already experienced this specific condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit your reimbursement request online.  Once we receive and verify the required documents, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days. If you have had previous repairs performed and/or already received reimbursement, you may still need to have the recall repair performed.
We apologize for any inconvenience, but are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Customer Assistance/Field Operations
Mr. Mrs. Customer
1234 Main Street
Hometown, MI 48371
 If you no longer own this vehicle, please help us update our records. Call the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403 to update your information.
 If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, or you can call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-4249153), or go to safercar.gov.
 You can also mail in your original receipts and proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement consideration: FCA Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8004, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Recall Reimbursement.
Note to lessors receiving this recall notice: Federal regulation requires that you forward this recall notice to the lessee within 10 days.
1 Affected Product
11 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-18V131-2316
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – 03/01/2018 New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – U18
Remedy Instructions and TSB – March 2018RCRIT-18V131-4018
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-18V131-7779
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2018-3
Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2018-4RCLQRT-18V131-9713
Recall Quarterly Report #5, 2019-1
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2018-1RCLQRT-18V131-2930
ISSUED Renotification NoticeRCRN-18V131-4433
Latest Recalls Documents
- Mobil 1 advanced full-synthetic motor oil 5W-30 utilizes Mobil 1’s signature Triple Action Formula to deliver outstanding engine performance, protection, and cleanliness.
- Helps protect critical engine parts for up to 10,000 miles between oil changes,* controlling oxidation to prevent oil breakdown and maintaining excellent viscosity
- Meets ILSAC GF-6 standards to help provide low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) and timing chain wear protection while keeping your engine clean and helping to improve your fuel economy
- Helps extend engine life by working to prevent damaging deposits and sludge buildup
- Provides excellent internal engine heat protection (up to 500 degrees F) and low temperature protection (to -30 degrees F)
- ADVANCED PROTECTION AGAINST the four main causes of engine breakdown: wear friction heat and deposits
- 40% BETTER WEAR PROTECTION vs. industry standard as tested in the Sequence IVB engine test
- 25% BETTER DEPOSIT PROTECTION with superior engine cleaning detergents as tested in the GMOD engine test
- EXCEPTIONAL HIGH/LOW TEMPERATURE PROTECTION defends your motor no matter the weather conditions
- MEETS OR EXCEEDS ALL REQUIREMENTS of ILSAC GF-6A, API SP, API SN with SN PLUS, API SN, GM dexos 1 Gen 3
- Castrol GTX Full Synthetic Motor Oil provides maximum protection to help fight the impact of severe conditions that can potentially shorten engine life
- Castrol GTX Full Synthetic has been proven to dramatically reduce engine wear - 6X better than the industry standard
- 1.3X better sludge protection than industry standards
- Full synthetic formula provides thermal and oxidation stability with a superior level of protection against viscosity breakdown
- Specifications: API SP/SN PLUS/SN, ILSAC GF-6, GM dexos1 Gen 2
- Full synthetic 5W-30 engine oil made from natural gas, not crude, using Pennzoil's patented gas-to-liquid PurePlus Technology
- No other leading motor oil provides better wear protection for your engine (Based on Sequence IVA wear test using SAE 5W-30)
- Helps protect engines from loss of power and provides better fuel economy—drive on average an extra 550 miles per year (versus a dirty engine)
- Keeps pistons dramatically cleaner than required by the toughest industry standards (Based on ILSAC GF-6 and Sequence IIIH piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30)
- Delivers unsurpassed sludge protection to help keep high-performance and luxury car engines as close as possible to factory clean (Based on Sequence VH Sludge Test using SAE 5W-20)
- Superior Detergency That Helps Prevent Deposit Build Up
- Superior Oil Burn Off Protection Versus Leading Conventional Oils
- Seal Conditioners Help Reduce Leaks; Bottle Color: Green
- Advanced Additives That Help Prevent Engine Wear
- Full synthetic 5W-30 engine oil made from made from natural gas, not crude, using Pennzoil's patented gas-to-liquid PurePlus Technology
- Provides better fuel economy—drive on average an extra 550 miles per year (versus a dirty engine)
- Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 keeps pistons up to 45% cleaner than the toughest industry standard (Based on Sequence IIIH results)
- No other leading synthetic oil provides better wear protection from friction (Based on Sequence IVA wear test using SAE 5W-30)
- Formulated to provide faster low-temperature oil flow and protection in extreme heat
- Titanium Strong For Maximum Engine Performance In Vehicles With Over 75,000 Miles
- Maximizes Short And Long Term Engine Performance On High Mileage Engines
- Boosted With Extra Fluid Titanium Technology To Increase Oil Film Strength And Reduce Film Breakdown
- Reduces Leaks, Oil Burn Off And Power-Robbing Deposits
- Mobil Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W-30 motor oil is designed for vehicles with over 75,000 miles, upgrading from a conventional or synthetic blend, or requiring full synthetic motor oil
- Provides guaranteed protection that's 1.5X longer than our conventional and synthetic blend oils, up to 7,500 miles between oil changes*
- Helps to prevent oil leaks, sludge, and deposit formation to help reduce engine wear with a balanced additive system formulation and extra seal conditioner
- Provides excellent resistance to oil breakdown, for proven long-lasting protection, and maintains oil viscosity at high operating temperatures
- Recommended for all types of gasoline-powered vehicles, including those with turbocharged engines, and meets API SP resource-conserving
- PREMIUM FULL SYNTHETIC: K&N premium synthetic oil helps keep your engine running like new.
- ADVANCED SYNTHAMAX TECHNOLOGY: Formulated with unique additives to help protect critical engine components.
- SUPERIOR ENGINE PROTECTION: Advanced formula full synthetic oil is formulated to minimize harmful contaminants and sludge buildup.
- REDUCE WEAR & TEAR: K&N ultra synthetic engine oil offers premium engine protection.
- ALL WEATHER PROTECTION: K&N advanced full synthetic motor oil helps your car run smooth in both cold & hot temperature conditions.
- 100% Synthetic SAE 5W-30
- For Use In All Air Cooled 4-cycle Engines
- 32 Oz. bottle
Last update on 2023-01-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.