July 25, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V551000
The vehicle may be operated without enough fuel in the tank causing a stall, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V551
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected 21,915
Alfa Romeo (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2018-2019 Giulia and Stelvio vehicles. The Body Control Module (BCM) may indicate an inaccurate fuel level that displays higher than the actual amount.
Alfa Romeo will notify owners, and dealers will update the BCM software, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin September 13, 2019. Owners may contact Alfa Romeo customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Alfa Romeo's number for this recall is V84.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Dealer Service Instructions for:
Safety Recall V84 / NHTSA 19V-551 Body Control Module
|2018 - 2019||(GA)||Alfa Romeo® Giulia|
|2018 - 2019||(GU)||Alfa Romeo® Stelvio|
NOTE: Some vehicles above may have been identified as not involved in this recall and therefore have been excluded from this recall.
|IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also consider this requirement toapply to used vehicle inventory and should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.|
The Body Control Module (BCM) on about 21,900 of the above vehicles may have been built with suspect software that may indicate an incorrect fuel level (higher) on the cluster in specific conditions, which may cause the customer to run out of fuel even though the indicator shows that there is still fuel in the vehicle. The specific conditions include being parked on a grade of more than 10 degrees, staying in that position for a long enough period of time (approx. 30 minutes), and having a tank filled between 50-75%. At this point, the vehicle will think it went through a refuel and add a notch or two to the fuel gauge upon restart. This additional fuel reading will persist until an actual refuel takes place; after which, the fuel reading will be accurate once again. Inaccurate fuel indication may increase the risk of an engine stall due to fuel starvation, and can cause vehicle crash without prior warning.
Update the BCM software to prevent the incorrect indication of the fuel level.
No parts are required to perform this service procedure.
No parts return required for this campaign.
The following special tools are required to perform this repair:
||wiTECH micro pod II|
Reprogram the Body Control Module (BCM)
NOTE: The wiTECH scan tool must be used to perform this recall. This procedure must be performed with the latest software release level. If the reprogramming flash for the BCM is aborted or interrupted, repeat the procedure. The BCM must be at the latest calibration level after completing this recall.
- Open the hood. Install a battery charger and verify that the charging rate provides 13.2 to 13.5 volts. Do not allow the charger to time out during the flash process. Set the battery charger timer (if so equipped) to continuous charge.
NOTE: Use an accurate stand-alone voltmeter. The battery charger volt meter may not be sufficiently accurate. Voltages outside of the specified range will cause an unsuccessful flash. If voltage reading is too high, apply an electrical load by activating the park or headlamps and/or HVAC blower motor to lower the voltage.
- Connect the wiTECH micro pod II to the vehicle data link connector.
- Place the ignition in the “RUN” position.
- Open the wiTECH 2.0 website.
- Enter your “User id” and “Password” and your “Dealer Code”, then select “Sign In” at the bottom of the screen. Click “Accept”.
- From the “Vehicle Selection” screen, select the vehicle to be updated.
- From the “Action Items” screen, select the “Topology” tab.
- From the “Topology” screen, click on the “BCM” icon.
- From the “BCM” screen, select the “Flash” tab, then compare the “Current Electronic Control Unit (ECU) Part Number” with the “New ECU Part Number” listed.
- If the “Current ECU part Number” is the same as the “New Part Number”, proceed to Step 14.
- If the “Current ECU part Number” is NOT the same as the “New Part Number”, continue with Step 10.
- From the flash ECU agreement page, agree to terms by checking the box.
- Select “Flash ECU” then follow the wiTECH screen instructions to complete the flash.
- Once the flash is complete, select the “View DTCs” tab.
- Select the “Topology” icon, go to “Action Items” screen then select “All DTCs” tab, “Clear All DTCs” and then select “Close”.
- Turn the ignition to the “OFF” position and then remove the wiTECH micro pod II device from the vehicle.
- Return the vehicle to the customer.
Completion Reporting and Reimbursement
Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims paid will be used by FCA to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.
Use one of the following labor operation numbers and time allowances:
|Inspect BCM Software Level and Reprogram BCM with New Software||18-V8-41-82||0.2 hours|
NOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.
To view this notification on DealerCONNECT, select “Global Recall System” on the Service tab, then click on the description of this notification.
Owner Notification and Service Scheduling
All involved vehicle owners known to FCA are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is attached.
Vehicle Lists, Global Recall System, VIP and Dealer Follow Up
All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.
GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner’s name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission.
To use this system, click on the “Service” tab and then click on “Global Recall System.” Your dealer’s VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence.
Dealers must perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair.
Recall VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this recall only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.
If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Service and Parts District Manager.
Customer Services / Field Operations
FCA US LLC
4 Affected Products
4 Associated Documents
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) - 07/26/2019 New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – V84
Chrysler Recommended J2534 Devices
|J2534 Device||Firmware Version|
|CTC Vehicle Box *||1.9|
|Blue Streak -2534 Global Programmer||2.10|
|Actia I+ME Passthru||2.07|
* Chrysler recommends the CTC Vehicle Box Device for Chrysler SCI ECU reprogramming. SCI reprogramming is used on most PCMs and TCMs prior to the introduction of CAN bus vehicles which began in 2004 (Durango).
Compatible J2534 Devices
- ECU PROGRAMMING: The diagnostic tool comes with a J2534 ECU programming device that helps Benz and BMW users replace the existing software/firmware in the ECU, program new ECUs and fix software-controlled driving performance and emission issues.
- VEHICLE COVERAGE: The software of MK908P has a wide range of compatibility and can be used to diagnose vehicles from over 80 brands in the US, Europe and Asia. Moreover, you can get more newly added car models with the fast-release software update service.
- ADVANCED HARDWARE: MK908P, as the advanced version of MS908P, features the 10. 1" 1920*1200 screen upgraded from 9. 7" 1024*768, and the battery capacity is 15000mAh increased by 4000 mA. Also, it has a better anti-impact protection design.
- BI-DIRECTIONAL CONTROL: The diagnostic tool supports bi-direction control to check the vehicle operating conditions. The bi-directional control of the ECM in Component Test enables the MK908P to transmit control commands to operate the vehicle systems.
- ADDITIONAL SERVICE: The MK908P is designed to serve users with a rich array of easy-to-use functions and features. The Maxi Fix provides you with an online troubleshooter database, and Remote Desk allows you to get help from others via TeamViewer software.
- VXDIAG VCX NANO Box is PC-to-vehicle interface compatible with multiple software applications, minimizing your investment in multiple brand-specific diagnostic interfaces
- VXDIAG VCX Nano for GM/OPEL compatible with GDS and Tech2win software, support for GM/OPEL Diagnose and programming,for programming function, you would need buy software subscription online
- Fully compatible with SAE-J2534-1 & SAE-J2534-2; Quick access to vehicle data for maintenance or management reports; Support all current and most legacy vehicle protocols: CAN, UART, KW2000, Class2, GM LAN, etc.
- About Software: Our hardware is compatible with original software and for SPS programming online you need purchase subscription online.
- Installation Tips: Tech2win software can only be installed on 32bit computer(win7 or win10 both ok) and please attention Tech2win software can not be installed on virtual machine, need install on physica system. For any technical problem, please feel free to contact us at any time, we have engineer can assist you online.
- VCX is designed on the basis of the latest automotive international standards so that it can support many professional automotive diagnostic applications
- VXDIAG VCX Nano support latest version software, Compatible with varieties protocols. can be very easy to connect various automotive bus to a PC
- OS support both WINDOWS XP and Windows 7, Software support multi-languages: Chinese, English, French, Italian, Spanish, German, ec
- Small size, easy to carry and convenient for us
- We provide full time online support, if you have any questions about our device, please feel free to contact us online via ask us a question or send us email
- POWERFUL DIAGNOSIS &ANALYSIS: The Autel Maxisys MS908CV is especially made for working on Heavy Duty vehicles. It contains a whole set of heavy duty vehicle connectors and provides access to all the commonly performed service functions: Oil Reset, EPB, Brake Bleeding, DPF & SCR, Immo & keys, Injector Throttle and other regular maintenance functions.
- ADVANCED ECU CODING & PROGRAMMING: The complete diagnostic tool kit includes a compact sized MaxiFlash Elite which performs J2534 and J2534-2 pass-thru programming and provides Bluetooth VCI communication between the vehicle and the MaxiSys CV tablet.
- SPECIAL FUCTIONS: The diagnostic scan tool provides the special functions that complete repairs including Injector Quantity Adjustment, DPF Regeneration, Adaptations, Calibrations, Maintenance Resets.
- STRONG FEATURES: The automotive scanner read and clear codes, view and graph live data, perform tool-guided maintenance services, complete an array of special functions and diagnose manufacturer-specific systems including Allison transmissions, Bendix ABS Brake systems, Detroit Diesel Engines and Eaton and Wabash ABS trailer brakes.
- WIDE VEHICLE COVERAGE: Extensive vehicle coverage for more than 80 US, Asian and European commercial vehicles and industrial machine brands.
- Automatic vehicle recognition
- DTC reading and removal
- Complete list of live data streaming for all main ECU
- Recordable / playback of live data
- New software flash for existing ECU to fix drivability issues
- 🚗ECU PROGRAMMING: This Diagnostic scanner comes with a SAE J2534-1 & -2 compliant PassThru reprogramming interface device which allows you to use the updated OEM software to replace the existing software/firmware in ECUs, programming new ECUs for Benz/BMW and fixing software-controlled drivability issues and emission issues.
- 🚗SUPERIOR HARDWARE: The Maxicom MK908P is a upgraded version of the Maxisys Ms908P/Pro,it with Android4.4 based system amd super-fast hexa-core Processor, 2GM RAM, 64GB On-board Memory, 8.0 Megapixel rear cam, ultra-clear 10.1 inches LED screen etc.
- 🚗COMPREHENSIVE FUNCTIONS: Autel MaxiCOM MK908P performs the same function as Autel Maxisys Elite, Autel MS908S PRO, MS908E, and provide better price. this superior diagnostic device is awarded as the Best Vehicle Diagnostic Tool in Britain.
- 🚗WIDE VEHICLE COVERAGE: Extensive OE-Level vehicle coverage for more than 80 US, Asian and European vehicle makes.It's an ultimate car scanner for DIYers, experienced mechanics, even garage to finish professional-level vehicle repair and maintenance.
- 🚗Multi-ADD ONS: This Autel Scanner could connect the Oscilloscope-MaxiScope MP408 and Digital Inspection Cameras (MV105 and MV108) for vehicle's electronic test or get the sight in the tight spaces.
- 【Advanced Diagnostic Scanner for ECU Programming】 MK908P has been designed to perform some of the most complicated engine diagnostics and reprogramming in BMW and Mercedes Benz. With the jbox/J2534 VCI or BMW Ethernet Cable, you can edit the cars performance data, like adjusting RPM, fuel injection, etc. A professional car diagnostics scanner to save time/effort on repairs and dramatically improve the cars' lifespan/performance. form some of the most complicated engine diagnostics and reprogramming in BMW and Mercedes Benz. With the jbox/J2534 VCI or BMW Ethernet Cable, you can edit the cars performance data, like adjusting RPM, fuel injection, etc. A professional car diagnostics scanner to save time/effort on repairs and dramatically improve the cars' lifespan/performance.
- 【Comprehensive Features】 Besides Coding and ECU programming functions, the scan tool supports reprogram keys, Bi-directional control, active test, ABS bleeding, complete capabilities for codes, live data, actuation tests, adaptations, prints out recorded data with Wi-Fi. Save the money cost in buying an additional expensive adapter. Warm tips Benz-14 & Chang'an-3 Adapters only for UK version, not US version.
- 【User Friendly】 The Live Data Stream displayed the real time PID data from ECU and the displayed data included analog inputs and outputs, digital inputs and outputs, and system status information broadcast. The graphic display greatly improved the readability and understandability of above parameters. This is definitely a perfect scan tool for enthusiasts interested in knowing how their car is running.
- 【Operate Easily】 The hardware can equal to a best rank android tablet in the market and that made the whole diagnostic procedure more quickly and precisely. Maxisys platform, cloud-based Maxisys provide a large amount of data about the diagnosis and repair advices, that's really helpful, whenever you encounter problems, you can find solutions from it.
- 【Compatible with Some Add-ons】 Combination with Oscilloscope Maxi Scope MP408 and Digital Inspection Cameras MV108, the power of this tool is amazing and the detail you receive about every component of the vehicle makes pinpointing a problem painless. Affordable combination of MS908P and TS601 supports TPMS programming, which turns into a powerful diagnostic tool.
- SUPPORTED MODELS - Compatible All 1998-2018 TOYOTA/LEXUS/SCION vehicles,For few functions on few old cars(such as before 2005),We recommend to use firmware V2.0.4 cable
- The CarDAQ-Plus2 is the next generation Drew Technologies J2534-1 and J2534-2 device with advanced support for J2534 v05.00 and DoIP.
- Features High Speed USB and support for global vehicles.
- Meets all of today's SAE J2534 standards.
- Rugged plastic case included for safe and convenient transporting.
- Free J2534 Toolbox application, online software updates and phone support.
Last update on 2019-08-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-08-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API