November 15, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V817000
If the shifter cable detaches from the transmission, the transmission may not shift into the gear selected by the driver. Additionally, despite selecting PARK with the shifter, the vehicle may roll away. These scenarios may increase the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V817
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Components POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected 51,788
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2012-2013 Fiat 500 vehicles equipped with 6-speed automatic transmissions. The shifter cable bushing may fail allowing the cable to detach from the transmission.
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the shifter cable adjuster, free of charge. The recall began January 9, 2020. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler’s number for this recall is VB4.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – VB4
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
Some of the above vehicles may have been built with a shifter cable bushing on the transmission end of the shifter cable could deteriorate and become detached from the transmission which could result in the inability of the driver to actually shift the transmission, even though the driver may move the shifter handle. If the shifter cable becomes detached from the transmission, the vehicle may not perform the shifts intended by the driver. The true transmission gear position will be displayed on the instrument cluster and on the display next to the shifter. If these warnings are not heeded, unintended vehicle movement and vehicle crash can occur.
FCA US will conduct a Voluntary Safety Recall to replace the shift cable adjuster, which contains a more robust bushing, in all of the affected vehicles. This recall is estimated to launch in the 1st Quarter of 2020.
Dealer Service Instructions for:
Safety Recall VB4 / NHTSA 19V-817 Gear Shift Cable
|2012 – 2013||(FF)||Fiat 500 vehicles|
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 6-Speed Automatic Transmission.
IMPORTANT: Some of the vehicles within the above build period have already been inspected or repaired and, therefore, have been excluded from this recall.
The shift cable adjuster on about 65,000 of the above vehicles may have a bushing which will deteriorate and allow the shift cable to detach from the transmission. If this happens, the vehicle may not perform the shifts intended by the driver, which could lead to unintended vehicle movement and a vehicle crash could occur.
Dealers should attempt to minimize customer inconvenience by placing the owner in a loaner vehicle if the vehicle must be held overnight.
|Adjuster, Shift Cable||CSCJVB41AA|
No parts return required for this campaign.
No special tools are required to perform this service procedure.
- Park the vehicle on level ground and set the parking brake.
- Place the gearshift lever in gated Park (P) and remove the ignition key.
- Open the hood.
- Remove the positive battery terminal cover (Figure 1).
- Disconnect the positive battery cable (Figure 1).
- Disconnect the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) ground strap at the negative battery cable (Figure 1).
- Disconnect the negative battery cable (Figure 1).
- Remove the battery thermo cover (Figure 2).
- Remove the battery hold-down retainer (Figure 2).
- Remove the battery from the vehicle.
- Disengage wire harness retainers from the battery tray (Figure 3).
- Remove the two bolts and nut attaching the battery tray (Figure 3).
- Partially remove the battery tray forward and disconnect the engine wire harness from the battery tray wire harness clips on that are on the back of the battery tray.
- Remove the battery tray, and set aside.
- Remove the fastener retaining the oxygen sensor connector bracket (Figure 4).
- Place a mark on the gear shift cable notches that are in line with the adjuster (Figure 5).
- Remove the fastener and remove the shift cable adjuster from the transmission shift lever and discard (Figure 5).
- Align the shift cable notches mark and the fastener witness mark on the gear shift cable (Figure 5).
- Place a small drop of thread lock on the adjustment screw threads and tighten the cable adjustment screw to 8 N·m (71 in. lbs.).
- Install the oxygen sensor connector bracket and install the fastener (Figure 4).
- Partially install the battery tray, then reattach the wiring harness to the clips on the back of the tray (Figure 7).
- Reattach all the wiring harness retainers to the battery tray (Figure 3).
- Align the battery tray in place and install the nut and two bolts. Tighten all three fasteners to 25 N·m (18 ft. lbs.) (Figure 3).
- Install the battery hold-down retainer (Figure 2).
- Install the battery thermo cover (Figure 2).
- Connect the positive battery cable, then tighten the clamp nut to 7 N·m (62 in. lbs.) (Figure 1).
- Connect the negative battery cable, then tighten the clamp nut to 7 N·m (62 in. lbs.) (Figure 1).
- Install the positive battery terminal cover (Figure 1).
- Close the hood.
- Set the time, month, day, and year on the instrument cluster.
- Return the vehicle to the customer.
2 Affected Products
10 Associated Documents
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-19V817-1353
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2020-1RCLQRT-19V817-2257
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – 11/21/2019 New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – VB4RCMN-19V817-8085
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – 11/19/2019 New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – VB4
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2020-2RCLQRT-19V817-1101
Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2020-3RCLQRT-19V817-3455
ISSUED Renotification NoticeRCRN-19V817-9723
Latest Recalls Documents
- Specially developed
- Provides excellent lubrication under high load, high heat
- Factory filled ATF+4
- Genuine OEM Chrysler fluid
- Fill for life quality fluid
- Genuine OEM Dodge/Mopar factory fit part
- The approved automatic transmission fluid for all vehicles factory filled with ATF+4.
- Do not use this transmission fluid for either Crossfire or Sprinter automatic transmissions.
- Caution: This product can expose you to chemicals which might cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
- EXCEEDS DEMANDS OF AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS of most Chrysler, Dodge, Ram & other Stellantis vehicles
- HIGH-EFFICIENCY CONDITIONERS protect and prolong the elasticity of seals, preventing leaks
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY REDUCES WEAR, foaming, and oxidation while protecting transmission performance
- SUPERIOR HIGH & LOW TEMP PERFORMANCE supports transmission fluid in all weather & driving situations
- For best performance, follow the manufacturer's recommendations in your vehicle owner’s manual.
- Genuine OEM Dodge/Mopar factory fit part
- Fully compatible with all transmissions that require Mopar ATF+, Mopar ATF+2 and Mopar ATF+3
- Improved thermal stability for longer fluid life
- Improved viscosity stability for consistent transmission operation
- Specific frictional properties for smooth clutch engagement
- Contains special additives to prevent rust corrosion and wear for longer life
- Genuine OEM Dodge/Mopar factory
- Full Synthetic formula exceeds ATF+3 requirements
- Certified and approved for all Chrysler cars and trucks that require ATF+4, Mopar ATF+3, ATF+2, ATF+2 Type 7176, or ATF+
- Technologically advanced, full synthetic formulation provides superior transmission life
- Engineered with superior base oils to ensure superb low and high temperature performance
- Meets or Exceeds Fiat Chrysler ATF+4 requirements
- HELPS REDUCE EXTREME HEAT
- IMPROVES OXIDATION STABILITY
- REDUCES NOISE AND VIBRATION
- PROTECTS AGAINST WEAR
- MOPAR Genuine Parts & Accessories
- Automatic Transmission Fluid
- 5 Liter
- 1.3 Gallon
Last update on 2023-01-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.