November 15, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V818000
An overheated fan motor increases the risk of a fire.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V818
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Potential Number of Units Affected 99,128
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2015-2018 Ram ProMaster vehicles equipped with 3.0L diesel or 3.6L gasoline engines and air conditioning (A/C). The engine cooling fan may seize which can cause the cooling fan motor to overheat.
The remedy for this recall is still under development. Interim notices informing owners of the safety risk are scheduled to begin mailing on or before January 4, 2020. Owners will receive a second notice when the remedy becomes available. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is VB2.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – VB2
FCA US LLC (FCA US) has announced a safety recall on certain 2015 through 2018 Model Year (VF) Ram ProMaster vehicles with a 3.0L diesel engine or 3.6L gasoline engine and equipped with Air Conditioning (A/C).
VINs identified as being involved in this campaign are currently live and searchable. Stop sale is in effect for the above-identified vehicles.
Vehicles impacted by a stop sale are eligible for reimbursement allowance through the Recall Floorplan Reimbursement Policy (RFPRP), which can be requested upon recall claim submission.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
Some of the above vehicles may have been built with a cooling fan which may be susceptible to seizure and a cooling fan circuit protection design that may not be sufficient to protect the fan from overheating during a cooling fan seize condition in high speed mode. A cooling fan stall / seizure event could lead to electrical overloading of the fan motor potentially resulting in the thermal degradation of the brush housing, which may lead to a vehicle fire. In some circumstances, the Check Engine and/or the Engine Temperature Malfunction Indicator Lights may illuminate. A vehicle fire may increase the risk of injury to occupants and persons outside of the vehicle, as well as property damage.
FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on affected vehicles. The remedy for this condition is under development but is not currently available. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods. This recall is estimated to launch in 1st Quarter of 2020.
We ask that you please take the time to ensure that your personnel are aware of this communication and are prepared to execute a customer friendly process for inquiries regarding involved vehicles.
Customer Services Field Operations
FCA US LLC IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000 per vehicle. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.
FCA US LLC Chronology
2015-2018 Ram ProMaster Engine Compartment
Submitted on November 15, 2019
On July 17, 2019, the FCA US LLC ("FCA US") Vehicle Safety and Regulatory Compliance ("VSRC") organization opened an investigation as a result of an inquiry from United States Postal Service into cooling fan warranty and undetermined engine compartment fire incidents on Ram ProMaster vehicles.
On July 18, 2019, FCA US VSRC conducted a joint review of fire incident reports with FCA Canada.
On July 25, 2019, FCA US VSRC reviewed the ProMaster cooling fan validation reports with Italy based Fiat engineering to understand the functional objectives and design validation of the fan module.
On August 2, 2019, FCA US VSRC reviewed a warranty returned cooling fan wiring harness with suspected thermal damage. The subject harness did not exhibit signs of propagating heat.
During August 2019, FCA US VSRC collected warranty return cooling fan modules and reviewed the parts to better understand the failure modes and customer consequence, and reviewed the cooling fan change history with engineering and determined the suspect population.
During the week of September 2, 2019, FCA US VSRC conducted bench testing of cooling fans and produced a flame event using warranty returned fans from the suspect population and shared testing results with engineering teams and found an error in the initial testing procedure that was not reflective of real-world in-use cases.
On September 19, 2019, FCA US VSRC conducted vehicle level testing of cooling fans and produced a flame event using warranty returned fans from the suspect population.
During the month of October 2019, FCA US VSRC evaluated other FCA US vehicles' cooling fan circuit protection designs to confirm vehicle scope was limited to this suspect population.
As of November 7, 2019, FCA US identified approximately 21 CAIRs, and 13 field reports related to this issue.
As of November 7, 2019, total warranty during the suspect period is 4,129 at 235 c/1000.
As of November 7, 2019, FCA US is unaware of any accidents or injuries potentially related to this issue.
On November 7, 2019, FCA US determined, through the Vehicle Regulations Committee, to conduct a voluntary safety recall of the affected vehicles.
4 Affected Products
5 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) - 11/19/2019 New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – VB2
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) - 11/21/2019 New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – VB2
Latest Recalls Documents
- Overall Diameter:11.73 INCH, Overall Thickness:2.56 INCH ;1550 CFM Car Cooling Fans:Amp Draw: 6.6 amp ;Watts: 80W
- Blade Length: 11inch;Number of Blades: 10 ;Blade Type: straight
- High-quality, lightweight, and durable; great as replacement or upgrade from factory parts.
- Simple installation, no modifications required.Fan can be used as pusher or puller with the adaptable mounting kit.
- How to choose the correct fan?Step 1:Confirm the width and depth of your radiator Step 2:Compare the fan diameter and depth with radiator Step 3: Choose the right size fan ATTENTION:It can be installed only if the diameter of the fan is smaller than the width of radiator! Make sure the depth of the fan is smaller than the gap of radiator and other parts!
- 14 inch reversible 12 volt electric cooling fan.
- Powerful 90 watt motor will keep your engine cool.
- 180'F turn-on temperature, 165'F turn-off temperature.
- 3/8" NPT thread-in brass probe w/ 1/2" NPT adapter included.
- A customer said that the fan was not available. We put the instructions on the main picture for reference. Thank you. You can contact us if you have any questions.
- √ Comes with mount brackets and tie straps kit
- √ Maximum Fan CFM=1750 CFM, Maximum Fan RPM=2250 RPM
- √ Size: 12 Inch, Thickness: 2.5 Inch
- √ 10 Blades, 12 Volts, 6.6 AMP DRAW, 80W
- √ A customer said that the fan was not available. We put the instructions on the main picture for reference. Thank you. You can contact us if you have any questions.
- Fits BMW 323ci 2000, 323i 1999-2000, 323is 1998-1999, 325Ci 2001-2006, 325i/325is 1992-1995,325i/325xi 2001-2005---I6 2.5L
- Fits BMW 328ci 2000, 328i 1996-2000, 328is 1996-1999, 528i 1997-2000---I6 2.8L; 525i 1991-1995 2001-2003 2.5L
- Fits 330ci 2001-2006, 330i/330xi 2001-2005, 530i 2001-2003, 735i/735iL 1988-1992, X5 2001-2005---I6 3.0L
- Fits BMW M3 1995(3.0L) 1996-1999(3.2L), Z3 1999-2000(2.5L) 1997-1998(2.8L) 2001-2002(3.0L), 525it 1993 2.5L
- 1 year unlimited-mileage quality guarantee
- REVERSIBLE — Universal and has reversible 10-piece wide S-curved blades
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE COOLING FAN — High-performing electric radiator cooling fan at 12 Volts, 3000 CFM, heavy-duty thermostat comes on 200° and turns off 180°
- HIGH TORQUE MOTOR — Features sealed ball bearing and fully balanced blades that ensure low noise levels and long life of smooth operation
- ALSO INCLUDES — Detailed Instructions and Mounting Kit
- PACKAGE INCLUSIONS — 1 x A-Team Performance 140041 16" Heavy Duty 12V Radiator Electric Wide Curved S Blade FAN & Thermostat Kit 3000 CFM Reversible Push or Pull with Mounting Kit
- Overall dimensions of 16 1/2" x 16" x 3 3/16"
- Flows 2,500 cfm (cubic feet per minute) at 18.5 amps of current draw
- Increases horsepower while extending water pump life (when used to replace belt fan)
- Ideal for low clearance applications
- One year manufacturer warranty
- Moves up to 4,600 cfm of airflow with full shroud measuring 27 ½" x 17 ½" x 4"
- Variable Speed Controller
- Quicker engine warm up
- Features two 13 1/2" electric fans
- Made in the USA
- Technical Data: Volts: 12 Volts, Maximum AMP DRAW 8; Volts: 24 Volts, Maximum AMP DRAW 4; Number of Blades: 8 blades
- Including: 2x 10" radiator fan, 2x Mounting kit.
- No installation instruction included, Professional installation is reqiured
- Please check your car information before purchase.
Last update on 2020-01-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-01-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API