SUBJECT: Difficult Oil Leak Diagnosis Caused By Oil Seepage Past The Engine Oil Filter Adapter Plate Gasket
DATE: May 28, 1999
This bulletin involves the replacement of the engine oil filter adapter plate gasket.
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 3.9L OR 5.2L ENGINE. ENGINES BUILT BY THE MOUND ROAD ENGINE PLANT FROM FEB. 18, 1999 (JULIAN DATE OF 0499) TO MAR. 26, 1999 (JULIAN DATE OF 0859) MAY BE EFFECTED.
A condition may exist where oil seepage past the oil filter adapter plate gasket may result in an incorrect or difficult oil leak diagnosis. The oil seepage could possibly be misdiagnosed as a rear main oil seal leak, an engine pan gasket oil leak, an intake manifold rear seal oil leak, or an oil filter gasket oil leak.
- Inspect the left (driver side) engine valve cover for the Engine Bar Code Label. The label is white in color and is located on the front facing end of the valve cover.
- Read the top line of numbers on the Engine Bar Code Label to determine if the engine in question falls on or within the Julian dates of 049 and 085 of 1999 (0499 to 0859).
The top line is in the following format: TAYE2DDDCSSSSS
|T||Traceability coding (only T is used)|
|A||Engine assembly code uniquely assigned by the engine plant (A through Z)|
|Y||Model Year of engine (0 through 9)|
|EE||Engine Plant code (E2 = Mound Road Engine Plant)|
|DDD||Julian Date of build (0 through 365)|
|C||Calendar year of build date (0 through 9)|
|SSSSS||Serial number (5 digits) from bar code label on back side of cyl. block|
An example would be TM9E2071998187, this would decode as a 5.2L AN/DN automatic engine (M), built for the 1999 model year (9), produced at the Mound Road Engine Plant (E2), on day 071 of calendar year 1999 (0719 = 3/12/99), with a block serial number of 98187. This example falls within the criteria of the above symptom.
- Inspect the front facing end of the right engine valve cover for the presence of a small circular green label. The green label (dot) was installed on engines which have the new oil filter adapter plate gasket. There should be no need to replace these gaskets.
- If the 3.9L or 5.2L engine build date is on or between Julian dates of 0499 and 0859, and a green circular label (dot) is not present on the front facing end of the right valve cover, then perform the Repair Procedure.
- If still leaking, refer to the appropriate Service Manual for additional diagnosis.
|1||53020461AB||Gasket, Oil Filter Adapter Plate|
|1||05281090||Filter, Engine Oil|
|(AR)||04761839||Oil, Engine (qt.)|
- Raise the vehicle on a suitable hoist.
- Remove the engine oil filter.
- Remove the oil filter connector, adapter plate, and adapter plate gasket.
- Clean all adapter plate gasket surfaces.
- Install the new oil filter adapter plate gasket (p/n 53020461AB), adapter plate, and retaining connector. Tighten the connector to 68 Nm (50 ft. lbs.).
- Install a new oil filter (p/n 05281090).
- Lower vehicle and start the engine.
- Stop the engine and add additional engine oil as required.
- On the left engine valve cover, place a dot of white paint immediately above the Engine Bar Code Label.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
|Labor Op. No.||Time|