DATE: August 11, 2005
THIS BULLETIN IS BEING PROVIDED IN ADVANCE. DO NOT PERFORM ANY ACTIONS RELATED TO THIS BULLETIN UNTIL AUGUST 26, 2005. THE DRB III SOFTWARE VERSION MUST BE AT LEVEL 62.2 TO PERFORM THIS BULLETIN. THE DRB III SOFTWARE WILL BE AVAILABLE ON TechCONNECT BY AUGUST 26, 2005.
FOR MARKETS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA, THE DRB III VERSION 62.2 SOFTWARE WILL BE AVAILABLE ON CINONConnect AND TechCONNECT BY AUGUST 26, 2005. THE DRB III VERSION 62.2 SOFTWARE WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE ON THE ITIS DVD SEPTEMBER 2005 RELEASE.
This bulletin involves reprogramming the instrument cluster control (CCN) module.
|2005||(KJ)||Liberty / Cherokee|
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 2.8L turbo diesel engine (sales code ENR).
The customer may notice that the engine temperature gauge may indicate that the engine temperature is high. In hot ambient temperatures, and under certain driving conditions of extended uphill driving while towing a trailer, the engine temperature indicator may indicate slightly above the 3/4 normal operating temperature mark on the temperature gauge (but below the engine hot temperature markings). This condition may be caused by an incorrect calibration of the of the engine temperature gauge.
If the engine and the cooling system are operating correctly, and the above condition is present, then perform the Repair Procedure.
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
|CH6000A||Scan Tool (DRBIII)|
|CH7000A/7001A||J1962 Cable with red DRBIII connector|
NOTE: Before proceeding verify that the DRBIII software version is at level 62.2.
- Connect the DRBIII to the vehicle Data Link Connector (DLC)
- Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position.
- Using the DRBIII scan tool recalibrate the instrument temperature gauge.
- Select “DRBIII Standalone”
- Select “1998 – 2006 Diagnostics”
- Select “All (Except Below)”
- Select “Body Interior”
- Select ”Electro/Mech Cluster (MIC)”
- Select “Miscellaneous”
- Select “Recalibrate Temp Gauge” option.
- If the recalibration of the instrument cluster was successful, the DRBIII will display the following message: “Recalibration Successful”.
- If the version level of the original instrument cluster software allows recalibration, but the recalibration of the instrument cluster was NOT successful, then the DRBIII will display one of the following messages: “Recalibration Failed” or “Write To Memory Address Failed”. If one of these messages occurs repeat the above steps.
- If the instrument cluster has already been recalibrated to the correct software version level, then the DRBIII will display the following message: “Gauge Already Recalibrated – Press Any Key to Exit”.
- The DRBIII will display the following message if the original instrument cluster software version level is not the correct version level for recalibration: “MIC Software Version Incorrect – Press Any Key to Exit”.
- Verify that the instrument cluster engine temperature gauge has been recalibrated by selecting the “Recalibrate Temp Gauge” option again. The DRBIII should display the following message: “Gauge Already Recalibrated – Press Any Key to Exit”. 9. Turn the vehicle ignition switch to the “OFF” position
- Disconnect the DRBIII from the vehicle DLC.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
|Labor Operation No:||Description||Amount|
|08-45-10-94||Reprogram Instrument Cluster Control (CCN) Module – 2.8L Turbo Diesel Engine Only||0.2 Hrs.|
Chrysler J2534 Application Overview
The Chrysler J2534 System is a combination of the J2534 Application (2010 and newer Model Year Support) and the Chrysler J2534 Flash Application (2009-1996 Model Year Support). J2534 aftermarket users are required and responsible for installing the J2534 device driver provided by the device manufacturer. If you need support installing the device driver software contact the device manufacturer. See the related article “Chrysler J2534 Manual” for additional information. Chrysler J2534 application provides below capabilities:
|The Chrysler J2534 Flash Application:|
|Application Usage and Support|
Chrysler Recommended J2534 Devices
|J2534 Device||Firmware Version|
|CTC Vehicle Box *||1.9|
|Blue Streak -2534 Global Programmer||2.10|
|Actia I+ME Passthru||2.07|
* Chrysler recommends the CTC Vehicle Box Device for Chrysler SCI ECU reprogramming. SCI reprogramming is used on most PCMs and TCMs prior to the introduction of CAN bus vehicles which began in 2004 (Durango).
Chrysler J2534 System Support:
Chrysler J2534 System
PC Requirements for Chrysler J2434 System:
Chrysler J2434 System Release Notes:
Please click here to view the Application Release Notes.
Chrysler J2434 System Download:
Chrysler ECU Flash Availability matrix:
A harness adaptor is required to update certain vehicles. The following tables list which vehicles / modules require which adaptor. Adaptors can be purchased through the SPX Miller Special Tools program. See SPX Miller Special Tools program for details.
MLR-J2534-MMC required on:
|SBEC III||1996 – 1997||SEBRING / AVENGER (FJ)|
|ETAX III||1996 – 1997||SEBRING / AVENGER (FJ)|
|SBEC IIIA||1997 – 1998||SEBRING / AVENGER (FJ)|
|ETAX IIIA||1997 – 1998||SEBRING / AVENGER (FJ)|
|Powertrain||2001 – 2201||SEBRING / STRATUS COUPE (ST)|
MLR-J2534-TCM required on:
|ETAX IIIB||2003 – 2004||SEBRING / STRATUS SEDAN (JR)|
|ETAX IVA||2005 – 2006||LIBERTY (DIESEL) JEEP (KJ)|
Additional Information and Known Issues / Concerns:
If you are reprogramming the 5.9L diesel engine controller on the 1996-2008 Dodge RAM vehicle, it is necessary to also reprogram the VIN after the ECU has been flashed. To write the VIN to the ECU, you may use aftermarket software support, or use an OEM FCA US LLC scan tool (DRBIII or StarSCAN). For more information, see the FCA US LLC Scan Tool Lease Options section.
- 1996-2009 ALL PCMs
If you are REPLACING a PCM or ECM and the vehicle is equipped with a theft deterrent system (Sentry Key), it must be initialized to properly function with the Anti Theft module. You also need to reprogram the VIN when replacing a PCM or ECM. To write the VIN to the ECU and initialize the PCM to work with the theft deterrent system, you may use aftermarket software support, or use an OEM FCA US LLC scan tool (DRBIII or StarSCAN). For more information, see the FCA US LLC Scan Tool Lease Options section.
FCA US LLC Scan Tool Lease Options:
- For 2009 model year vehicles and prior, it may be necessary to use either a DRBIII or a StarSCAN to perform function required after ECU replacement. To lease the DRBIII call 1-586-532-8400 or click here.
- Beginning with 2010 MY, function required to replace an ECU will be supported via the J2534 application.