GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: May 13, 2006
THE StarSCAN FLASH FILES FOR THIS BULLETIN MUST BE RETRIEVED FROM THE INTERNET.
StarSCAN UPDATE CD 6.05 WAS THE LAST CD TO CONTAIN FLASH FILES.
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 18-035-05 REV. A, DATED NOVEMBER 18, 2005, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE A CHANGE TO THE 2006 LX/LE 6.1L CLEAN POINT.
FLASH: MIL Illumination At Start-Up Due To DTC P2112 Or P1521
|2005 – 2006||(LX/LE)||300 / Magnum / Charger|
|2005 – 2006||(WK/WH)||Grand Cherokee|
NOTE: This bulletin applies to: Grand Cherokee and Commander vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine (sales code EZB) built prior to September 08, 2005 (MDH 0908XX); or to Ram Truck vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine (sales code EZB) built prior to October 27, 2005 (MDH 1027XX); or to Durango vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine (sales code EZB) built prior to September 24, 2005 (MDH 0924XX); or to 300, Magnum, and Charger vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine (sales code EZB) built prior to September 03, 2005 (MDH 0903XX); or to 300, Magnum, and Charger vehicles equipped with a 6.1L engine (sales code ESF) built prior to **April 17, 2006 (MDH 0417XX)**.
The vehicle operator may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination due to one of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC):
P2112 – Electronic Throttle Control – Unable To Open. If this DTC occurs, it will set at time of engine start up. This condition may affect all vehicles listed above, except Durango (HB) and Ram Truck (DR).
Using a Scan Tool (StarSCAN) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTC’s are present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the vehicle operator describes or experiences the Symptom/Condition, perform the Repair Procedure.
|1||04275086AB||Label, Authorized Modification|
SPECIAL TOOLS / EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
|CH9404||StarSCAN Vehicle Cable|
|CH9409||StarSCAN Documentation Kit|
|CH9410||StarSCAN Ethernet Cable, 12 ft.|
|CH9412||StarSCAN Software Update Device Kit|
|TechCONNECT PC or equivalent|
REPAIR PROCEDURE – USING THE INTERNET TO RETRIEVE THE FLASH FILE:
NOTE: Before performing this Repair Procedure, the operating system in the StarSCAN must be programmed with software release level 6.06 or higher. The software release level is visible in the blue header at the top of the StarSCAN screen.
NOTE: The StarSCAN diagnostic scan tool fully supports Internet connectivity. However, to take advantage of this feature you must first configure the StarSCAN for your dealership’s network. Make sure the StarSCAN is configured to the dealership’s network before proceeding. For instruction on setting up your StarSCAN for the dealer’s network refer to either: “DealerCONNECT > Service > StarSCAN and StarMOBILE tools > Online Documentation”, or refer to the StarSCAN Quick Start Networking Guide. The StarSCAN Quick Start Networking Guide is also available on the www.dcctools.com website under the “Download Center”.
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
- Install a battery charger and verify that the charging rate provides approximately 13.5 volts. Set the battery charger to continuous charge. Do not allow the charger to time out during the flash process. Remove the charger from the battery when the flash process is complete.
- Connect the CH9410 StarSCAN ethernet cable to the StarSCAN and the dealer’s network drop.
- Connect the CH9404 StarSCAN vehicle cable to the StarSCAN and the vehicle.
- Power ON the StarSCAN.
- Retrieve the old PCM part number. Using the StarSCAN at the “Home” screen:
- Select “ECU View”
- Touch the screen to highlight the PCM in the list of modules.
- Select “More Options”
- Select “ECU Flash”
- Record the part number at the top of the “Flash PCM” screen for later reference.
- Select “Browse for New File”. Follow the on screen instructions.
- Select “Download to Scantool”.
- Select “Close” after the download is complete, then select “Back”.
- Highlight the listed calibration.
- Select “Update Controller”. Follow on screen instructions.
- When the PCM update is complete, select “OK”.
- Verify the part number at the top of the “Flash PCM” screen has updated to the new part number.
NOTE: Due to the PCM programming procedure, a DTC may be set in other modules (TCM, BCM, MIC, SKREEM, etc.) within the vehicle, if so equipped. Some DTC’s may cause the MIL to illuminate. From the “Home” screen select “System View”. Then select “All DTCs”. Press “Clear All Stored DTCs” if there are any DTCs shown on the list.
- Type the necessary information on the “Authorized Modification Label” p/n 04275086AB and attach near the VECI label (Fig. 1).
Fig. 1 AUTHORIZED MODIFICATION LABEL
1 – POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE P/N (INSERT P/N) USED
2 – CHANGE AUTHORITY: TSB XX-XXX-XX
3 – DEALER CODE: XXXXX
4 – DATE: XX-XX-XX
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
|Labor Operation No:||Description||Amount|
|08-19-06-90||Module, NGC Powertrain / Transmission Control Reprogram (B)||0.8 Hrs.|
Chrysler J2534 Application Overview
The Chrysler J2534 System is a combination of the J2534 Application (2010 and newer Model Year Support) and the Chrysler J2534 Flash Application (2009-1996 Model Year Support). J2534 aftermarket users are required and responsible for installing the J2534 device driver provided by the device manufacturer. If you need support installing the device driver software contact the device manufacturer. See the related article “Chrysler J2534 Manual” for additional information. Chrysler J2534 application provides below capabilities:
|The Chrysler J2534 Flash Application:|
|Application Usage and Support|
Chrysler Recommended J2534 Devices
|J2534 Device||Firmware Version|
|CTC Vehicle Box *||1.9|
|Blue Streak -2534 Global Programmer||2.10|
|Actia I+ME Passthru||2.07|
* Chrysler recommends the CTC Vehicle Box Device for Chrysler SCI ECU reprogramming. SCI reprogramming is used on most PCMs and TCMs prior to the introduction of CAN bus vehicles which began in 2004 (Durango).
Chrysler J2534 System Support:
Chrysler J2534 System
PC Requirements for Chrysler J2434 System:
Chrysler J2434 System Release Notes:
Please click here to view the Application Release Notes.
Chrysler J2434 System Download:
Chrysler ECU Flash Availability matrix:
A harness adaptor is required to update certain vehicles. The following tables list which vehicles / modules require which adaptor. Adaptors can be purchased through the SPX Miller Special Tools program. See SPX Miller Special Tools program for details.
MLR-J2534-MMC required on:
|SBEC III||1996 – 1997||SEBRING / AVENGER (FJ)|
|ETAX III||1996 – 1997||SEBRING / AVENGER (FJ)|
|SBEC IIIA||1997 – 1998||SEBRING / AVENGER (FJ)|
|ETAX IIIA||1997 – 1998||SEBRING / AVENGER (FJ)|
|Powertrain||2001 – 2201||SEBRING / STRATUS COUPE (ST)|
MLR-J2534-TCM required on:
|ETAX IIIB||2003 – 2004||SEBRING / STRATUS SEDAN (JR)|
|ETAX IVA||2005 – 2006||LIBERTY (DIESEL) JEEP (KJ)|
Additional Information and Known Issues / Concerns:
If you are reprogramming the 5.9L diesel engine controller on the 1996-2008 Dodge RAM vehicle, it is necessary to also reprogram the VIN after the ECU has been flashed. To write the VIN to the ECU, you may use aftermarket software support, or use an OEM FCA US LLC scan tool (DRBIII or StarSCAN). For more information, see the FCA US LLC Scan Tool Lease Options section.
- 1996-2009 ALL PCMs
If you are REPLACING a PCM or ECM and the vehicle is equipped with a theft deterrent system (Sentry Key), it must be initialized to properly function with the Anti Theft module. You also need to reprogram the VIN when replacing a PCM or ECM. To write the VIN to the ECU and initialize the PCM to work with the theft deterrent system, you may use aftermarket software support, or use an OEM FCA US LLC scan tool (DRBIII or StarSCAN). For more information, see the FCA US LLC Scan Tool Lease Options section.
FCA US LLC Scan Tool Lease Options:
- For 2009 model year vehicles and prior, it may be necessary to use either a DRBIII or a StarSCAN to perform function required after ECU replacement. To lease the DRBIII call 1-586-532-8400 or click here.
- Beginning with 2010 MY, function required to replace an ECU will be supported via the J2534 application.