GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: September 30, 2009
THE wiTECH DIAGNOSTIC APPLICATION IS THE PREFERRED METHOD FOR FLASHING ECUs.
HELP USING THE wiTECH DIAGNOSTIC APPLICATION FOR FLASHING AN ECU IS AVAILABLE BY SELECTING “HELP” THEN “HELP CONTENTS” AT THE TOP OF THE wiTECH DIAGNOSTIC APPLICATION WINDOW.
THE wiTECH SOFTWARE LEVEL MUST BE AT RELEASE 10.01 OR HIGHER TO PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE.
StarSCAN OR StarMOBILE DESKTOP CLIENT MAY ALSO BE USED TO PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE.
Flash: MIL Illumination For P050D – Cold Start Rough Idle
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.
|2008 – 2009||(WK)||Grand Cherokee|
The customers may experience a MIL illumination. Upon further investigation the Technician may find that P050D – Cold Start Rough Idle has been set.
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH or StarSCAN) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTC’s are present other then the one listed above record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the above condition is present, perform the Repair Procedure.
|1||04275086AB||Label, Authorized Modification|
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
- Reprogram the PCM with the latest software. Follow the detailed service procedures available in DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT, Refer To Group 8 – Electrical > Electronic Control Modules – Service Information > Module – Powertrain Control > Standard Procedures > PCM/ECM Programming – Gas. After PCM reprogramming, the following must be performed:
- Clear any DTC’s that may have been set in other modules due to reprogramming. The wiTECH application will automatically present all DTCs after the flash and allow the tech to clear them.
- Type the necessary information on the “Authorized Modification Label” and attach it near the VECI label.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
|Labor Operation No:||Description||Amount|
|18-19-06-G1||Module, Powertrain Control (PCM) – Reprogram (B)||0.2 Hrs.|
|International Related Operation|
|18-00-00-WT||StarSCAN/StarMOBILE (International) (B)||0.2 Hrs.|
Chrysler J2534 Application Overview
The Chrysler J2534 System is a combination of the J2534 Application (2010 and newer Model Year Support) and the Chrysler J2534 Flash Application (2009-1996 Model Year Support). J2534 aftermarket users are required and responsible for installing the J2534 device driver provided by the device manufacturer. If you need support installing the device driver software contact the device manufacturer. See the related article “Chrysler J2534 Manual” for additional information. Chrysler J2534 application provides below capabilities:
|The Chrysler J2534 Flash Application:|
|Application Usage and Support|
Chrysler Recommended J2534 Devices
For Chrysler recommended J2534 device, see below table.
|J2534 Device||Firmware Version|
|CTC Vehicle Box *||1.9|
|Blue Streak -2534 Global Programmer||2.10|
|Actia I+ME Passthru||2.07|
* Chrysler recommends the CTC Vehicle Box Device for Chrysler SCI ECU reprogramming. SCI reprogramming is used on most PCMs and TCMs prior to the introduction of CAN bus vehicles which began in 2004 (Durango).
Chrysler J2534 System Support:
Chrysler J2534 System
PC Requirements for Chrysler J2434 System:
The Chrysler J2534 Application has been verified to work with the following operating systems using open platform PCs or laptops:
• Windows 7 (32-Bit & 64-Bit)
• Windows XP (32-Bit only)
Chrysler J2434 System Release Notes:
Please click here to view the Application Release Notes.
Chrysler J2434 System Download:
Chrysler ECU Flash Availability matrix:
A harness adaptor is required to update certain vehicles. The following tables list which vehicles / modules require which adaptor. Adaptors can be purchased through the SPX Miller Special Tools program. See SPX Miller Special Tools program for details.
MLR-J2534-MMC required on:
|SBEC III||1996 – 1997||SEBRING / AVENGER (FJ)|
|ETAX III||1996 – 1997||SEBRING / AVENGER (FJ)|
|SBEC IIIA||1997 – 1998||SEBRING / AVENGER (FJ)|
|ETAX IIIA||1997 – 1998||SEBRING / AVENGER (FJ)|
|Powertrain||2001 – 2201||SEBRING / STRATUS COUPE (ST)|
MLR-J2534-TCM required on:
|ETAX IIIB||2003 – 2004||SEBRING / STRATUS SEDAN (JR)|
|ETAX IVA||2005 – 2006||LIBERTY (DIESEL) JEEP (KJ)|
Additional Information and Known Issues / Concerns:
If you are reprogramming the 5.9L diesel engine controller on the 1996-2008 Dodge RAM vehicle, it is necessary to also reprogram the VIN after the ECU has been flashed. To write the VIN to the ECU, you may use aftermarket software support, or use an OEM FCA US LLC scan tool (DRBIII or StarSCAN). For more information, see the FCA US LLC Scan Tool Lease Options section.
- 1996-2009 ALL PCMs
If you are REPLACING a PCM or ECM and the vehicle is equipped with a theft deterrent system (Sentry Key), it must be initialized to properly function with the Anti Theft module. You also need to reprogram the VIN when replacing a PCM or ECM. To write the VIN to the ECU and initialize the PCM to work with the theft deterrent system, you may use aftermarket software support, or use an OEM FCA US LLC scan tool (DRBIII or StarSCAN). For more information, see the FCA US LLC Scan Tool Lease Options section.
FCA US LLC Scan Tool Lease Options:
- For 2009 model year vehicles and prior, it may be necessary to use either a DRBIII or a StarSCAN to perform function required after ECU replacement. To lease the DRBIII call 1-586-532-8400 or click here.
- Beginning with 2010 MY, function required to replace an ECU will be supported via the J2534 application.