GROUP: 18 – Vehicle Performance
DATE: October 24, 2017
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETINS 18-013-16 REV. A, DATED FEBRUARY 18, 2016, 18-060-15, DATED AUGUST 29, 2015 AND 18-061-15, DATED AUGUST 29, 2015 WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCs), NEW SOFTWARE ENHANCEMENTS IN SYMPTOM/CONDITIONS, NEW NOTE IN REPAIR PROCEDURE, UPDATED FAILURE CODE STATEMENT AND LOP.
FOR HELP WITH USING wiTECH FOR ECU FLASH REPROGRAMMING, CLICK ON THE APPLICATION’S “HELP” TAB.
THE wiTECH SOFTWARE IS REQUIRED TO BE AT THE LATEST RELEASE BEFORE PERFORMING THIS PROCEDURE.
Flash: Powertrain Diagnostic and System Enhancements
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with the latest available software.
|2015 – 2016||(BU)||Jeep Renegade|
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NAFTA.
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 1.4L I4 Multiair Turbo Engine (Sales Code EAM) and C635 6-Speed Manual Transmission (Sales Code DE1).
Customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the technician may find the following DTCs have been set:
- **P1523-00 – VVA Low Oil Pressure.
- P1524-00 – Oil Pressure Out Of Range – Camshaft Advance/Retard Disabled.
- P1D7F-00 – ETC Self-Learning Failure.**
- P0141 – O2 Sensor 1/2 Heater Performance.
Some customers may experience one or more of the following conditions:
- Cruise control will not set at 32 kph (20 mph).
- Engine cranking times out after five seconds.
- Cruise control will not engage at highway speeds and when in 6th gear.
**The following enhancements are also included:
- Improved purge sensor performance.
- Updated fuel strategy to inhibit spark plug fouling.**
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in
TechCONNECT, verify all related vehicle systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs or symptom conditions, other than the ones listed above are present, record the issues on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the customer describes the symptom/condition or if the technician finds the DTC, perform the Repair Procedure.
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
- Reprogram the PCM with the latest software. Detailed instructions for flashing control modules using the wiTECH Diagnostic Application are available by selecting the application’s “HELP” tab.
- DTC P1302 – Transmission Self Learning will be present. Depress clutch pedal fully to allow DTC to store.
- Perform Cruise Control Learn Procedure:
- Turn the ignition key to the OFF/LOCK position for 10 seconds to allow the module to power down.
- Turn the ignition key to the ON/RUN position.
- Press, then release the Cruise ON/OFF button on the steering wheel.
- Start the engine.
- Press the Cruise ON/OFF button to verify that the Cruise indicator illuminates on the cluster.
- Clear any DTCs that may have been set in any modules due to reprogramming. The wiTECH application will automatically present all DTCs after the flash and allow them to be cleared.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
|Labor Operation No:||Description||Skill Category||Amount|
|**18-19-06-TN||Module, Powertrain Control (PCM) – Reprogram (0 – Introduction)||1 – Engine Repair and Performance||0.3 Hrs.**|
NOTE: The expected completion time for the flash download portion of this procedure is approximately 6 minutes. Actual flash download times may be affected by vehicle connection and network capabilities.
**The dealer must use failure code CC with this Service Bulletin.
- If the customer’s concern matches the SYMPTOM/CONDITION identified in the Service Bulletin, failure code CC is to be used.
- When utilizing this failure code, the 3C’s (customer’s concern, cause and correction) must be provided for processing Service Bulletin flash/reprogramming conditions.**
Chrysler Recommended J2534 Devices
For Chrysler recommended J2534 device, see below table.
|J2534 Device||Firmware Version|
|CTC Vehicle Box *||1.9|
|Blue Streak -2534 Global Programmer||2.10|
|Actia I+ME Passthru||2.07|
* Chrysler recommends the CTC Vehicle Box Device for Chrysler SCI ECU reprogramming. SCI reprogramming is used on most PCMs and TCMs prior to the introduction of CAN bus vehicles which began in 2004 (Durango).