GROUP: 08 - Electrical
DATE: September 21, 2017
THIS SERVICE BULLETIN IS ALSO BEING RELEASED AS RAPID RESPONSE TRANSMITTAL (RRT) 17-093. ALL APPLICABLE SOLD AND UN-SOLD RRT VINs HAVE BEEN LOADED. TO VERIFY THAT THIS RRT SERVICE ACTION IS APPLICABLE TO THE VEHICLE, USE VIP OR PERFORM A VIN SEARCH IN TECHCONNECT. ALL REPAIRS ARE REIMBURSABLE WITHIN THE PROVISIONS OF WARRANTY.
THE wiTECH SOFTWARE IS REQUIRED TO BE AT THE LATEST RELEASE BEFORE PERFORMING THIS PROCEDURE.
This bulletin involves inspecting and if required, updating the radio software.
|2017 - 2018||(MP)||Jeep Compass|
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NAFTA and LATAM.
Customers may experience one or more of the following:
- Radio may reset or go blank.
- Can’t enter non-alphanumeric (Emoji) characters into the Bluetooth phone book for caller’s name.
- Unable to communicate with the radio using wiTECH.
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify all related systems are functioning as designed. If Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) or symptom conditions, other than the ones listed above are present, record the issues on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If a customer’s VIN is listed in VIP or your RRT VIN list, perform the Inspection. If any vehicle not on the VIN list exhibits the symptom/condition, perform the Inspection.
- Verify the radio software version. Radio must be in Dealer Mode to verify by following these steps:
- Push and hold the Front Defrost, Driver Temperature Up and Temperature Down buttons simultaneously until the Dealer Mode screen appears (approximately seven seconds). Release buttons.
- Select "Radio Part Information". The software version will be listed next to "Application Version".
- Is the radio currently at software level 18.7 or higher (Fig. 1) ?
Radio Software Level Screen
- Has a 16GB USB flash drive been created?
- YES >>> Proceed to Step 9.
- NO >>> Proceed to Step 2.
- Go to DealerCONNECT>Service>Uconnect Command Center>Uconnect>More Information >Dealer software downloads to download the files.
- If a security message appears “Do you want to view only the web page content that was delivered securely?” (Fig. 2) . Press “No” to continue.
NOTE: If the software can not be downloaded, make sure you have proper security access. If not, have the Service Manager or Shop Foreman download the software update.
- Use a blank USB flash drive with at least 16GB of space. Follow the on-screen instructions to download the software files.
- Make sure to select the “MAC” radial button for all downloads (Fig. 3) .
- Download the software update file to your local PC’s desktop, then download the file to your designated folder (Fig. 3) before extracting the zip file to the blank USB flash drive.
- Extract the downloaded zip file to the designated USB flash drive (Fig. 4) and (Fig. 5) .
NOTE: It may take a few minutes for an accurate extract time to be displayed.
Saving File To USB
NOTE: DO NOT remove the USB flash drive during the update.
All Files/Folders Must Be On USB Flash Drive
- Once the file is extracted to the USB flash drive, it is recommended to label the USB flash drive with the bulletin number and proper radio sales codes.
CAUTION! Make sure no other device is plugged into any of the USB ports while performing this re-program. If other devices are connected to USB ports during re-programming, it may cause failure of files to be loaded which may cause the radio to need replacement.
- The next screen display will have the old and new software levels (Fig. 7) . The radio will be updated to 18.7.
- Press the touchscreen “YES” to start the update. The update may take up to 40 minutes, no other actions are needed to initiate the update (Fig. 8) .
- DO NOT cycle the ignition or touch the radio during the update process.
- If the software update process is interrupted, aborted or failed, the process should be restarted.
- Once the update process is completed, the Backup Collection screen will appear (Fig. 9) . Backup collection takes about five minutes.
- After the update is done the screen will display the software levels again and the message that an update is not available to the same software version (Fig. 10) .
Software Levels After Radio Restart Screen (The figure is for reference only, actual software levels will be 18.7)
- Press OK and remove the USB flash drive from the USB port.
- Return to Dealer Mode (Fig. 11) to perform a manual reset and complete the update by following these steps:
- Push and hold the Front Defrost, Driver Temperature Up and Temperature Down buttons simultaneously until the Dealer Mode screen appears (approximately seven seconds).
- Hold the upper right corner of the touchscreen until the radio reboots (approximately ten seconds).
- Verify that the navigation feature works properly on the radio. Press the navigation icon at the bottom of the touchscreen. Verify that the navigation menu comes up on the screen.
- Using the wiTECH, clear all DTCs that may have been set in any module due to reprogramming. The wiTECH application will automatically present all DTCs after the flash and allow them to be cleared.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
|Labor Operation No:||Description||Skill Category||Amount|
|18-60-02-PF||Radio, Inspect Software Version (0 - Introduction)||6 - Electrical and Body Systems||0.2 Hrs.|
|18-60-02-PH||Radio, Check Software Level and Perform Software Update (UDQ and UCQ Only) (0 - Introduction)||6 - Electrical and Body Systems||0.8 Hrs.|
|18-60-02-PJ||Radio, Check Software Level and Perform Software Update (UGQ Only) (0 - Introduction)||6 - Electrical and Body Systems||0.5 Hrs.|
|18-60-02-PG||Radio, Check Software Level and Perform Software Update (UAQ Only) (0 - Introduction)||6 - Electrical and Body Systems||1.0 Hrs.|
|18-60-02-PK||Radio, Software - Create USB Jump Drive From CD or Uconnect Website (One Time Only) (Sales code UGQ Only) (0 - Introduction)||6 - Electrical and Body Systems||1.4 Hrs.|
|18-60-02-PL||Radio, Software - Create USB Jump Drive From CD or Uconnect Website (One Time Only) (Sales code UCQ Only) (0 - Introduction)||6 - Electrical and Body Systems||1.2 Hrs.|
|18-60-02-PM||Radio, Software - Create USB Jump Drive From CD or Uconnect Website (One Time Only) (Sales code UDQ Only) (0 - Introduction)||6 - Electrical and Body Systems||1.2 Hrs.|
|18-60-02-PN||Radio, Software - Create USB Jump Drive From CD or Uconnect Website (One Time Only) (Sales code UAQ only) (0 - Introduction)||6 - Electrical and Body Systems||1.0 Hrs.|
NOTE: The “One Time Only” LOP is used one time per dealer when downloading the software onto a USB flash drive. The dealer can only use the download LOP, one time for each of the radios listed.
NOTE: The expected completion time for the flash download portion of this procedure is approximately 30 to 60 minutes. Actual flash download times may be affected by vehicle connection and network capabilities.
The dealer must choose which failure code to use depending on if this is a Rapid Response Transmittal (RRT) or Service Bulletin.
- If the customer’s concern matches the SYMPTOM/CONDITION identified in the Service Bulletin, failure code CC is to be used. When utilizing this failure code, the 3C’s must be supplied.
- The failure code “RF” (Required Flash) can no longer be used on Service Bulletin flashes. The “RF” failure code can only be used on RRT.
- The “RF” failure code is required for essential module flash/reprogramming and can only be used after confirmation that the VIN is included on the RRT.
GROUP: 08 Electrical
DATE: September 21, 2017