GROUP: 18 – Vehicle Performance
DATE: September 16, 2017
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 18-032-15 REV. C, DATED AUGUST 27, 2015, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCs), UPDATED FAILURE CODE STATEMENT AND LOP.
FOR HELP WITH USING wiTECH FOR ECU FLASH REPROGRAMMING, CLICK ON THE APPLICATION’S “HELP” TAB.
THE wiTECH SOFTWARE IS REQUIRED TO BE AT THE LATEST RELEASE BEFORE PERFORMING THIS PROCEDURE.
Flash: Powertrain Diagnostic and System Enhancements
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with the latest software.
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 1.4L I4 Multiair Turbo Engine (Sales Code EAM).
Customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the technician may find that the following DTCs have been set:
- **P1D7F-00 – ETC Self-Learning Failure.
- P1523-00 – VVA Low Oil Pressure.
- P1524-00 – Oil Pressure Out Of Range – Camshaft Advance/Retard Disabled.**
- P0141 – O2 Sensor 1/2 Heater Performance.
- P1046 – Cylinder 1 Oil Supply Solenoid Valve Overcurrent.
- P1048 – Cylinder 2 Oil Supply Solenoid Valve Overcurrent.
- P104A – Cylinder 3 Oil Supply Solenoid Valve Overcurrent.
- P104C – Cylinder 4 Oil Supply Solenoid Valve Overcurrent.
Customers may also notice the following symptom:
- Crank no start condition in extreme cold temperatures of -20°C (-4°F) partially due to the available fuel blend conditions.
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify all related systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs or symptom conditions, other than the ones listed above are present, record the issues on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above or if the technician finds the DTC, perform the Repair Procedure.
NOTE: Install a battery charger to ensure battery voltage does not drop below 13.2 volts. Do not allow the charging voltage to climb above 13.5 volts during the flash process.
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
- Reprogram the PCM with the latest software. Detailed instructions for flashing control modules using the wiTECH Diagnostic Application are available by selecting the application’s “HELP” tab.
- Is vehicle equipped with a manual transmission?
- YES >>> P1302 – Transmission Self Learning will be present. Depress clutch pedal fully to allow DTC to store, proceed to Step 3.
- NO >>> P1302 – Transmission Self Learning will be stored, proceed to Step 3.
- Perform Cruise Control Learn Procedure:
- Turn the Ignition Key to the OFF/LOCK position for 10 seconds to allow the module to power down.
- Turn the Ignition Key to the ON/RUN position.
- Press, then release the cruise ON/OFF button on the steering wheel.
- Start the engine.
- Press the cruise ON/OFF button to verify that the cruise indicator illuminates on the cluster.
- Clear all DTCs that may have been set in any module due to reprogramming. The wiTECH application will automatically present all DTCs after the flash and allow them to be cleared.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
|Labor Operation No:||Description||Skill Category||Amount|
|**18-19-06-TH**||Module, Powertrain Control (PCM) – Reprogram (0 – Introduction)||1 – Engine Repair and Performance||0.3 Hrs**|
NOTE: The expected completion time for the flash download portion of this procedure is approximately 6 minutes. Actual flash download times may be affected by vehicle connection and network capabilities.
**The dealer must use failure code CC with this Service Bulletin.
- If the customer’s concern matches the SYMPTOM/CONDITION identified in the Service Bulletin, failure code CC is to be used.
- When utilizing this failure code, the 3C’s (customer’s concern, cause and correction) must be provided for processing Service Bulletin flash/reprogramming conditions.**
Chrysler J2534 Application Overview
Flash Availability – J2534/Pass Thru Device
Vehicle to Diagnostic Tool Reference Chart
Chrysler Recommended J2534 Devices
For Chrysler recommended J2534 device, see below table.
|J2534 Device||Firmware Version|
|CTC Vehicle Box *||1.9|
|Blue Streak -2534 Global Programmer||2.10|
|Actia I+ME Passthru||2.07|
* Chrysler recommends the CTC Vehicle Box Device for Chrysler SCI ECU reprogramming. SCI reprogramming is used on most PCMs and TCMs prior to the introduction of CAN bus vehicles which began in 2004 (Durango).