DATE: February 21, 2017
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 08-072-16, DATED JULY 08, 2016, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES THE REMOVAL OF BUILD DATE RESTRICTIONS AND UPDATED LOCATION DIRECTORY FOR UCONNECT DOWNLOADS.
RG3 RG4 RJ3 RJ4 Radio Enhancements
This bulletin involves inspecting and if required, updating the radio software.
|2015||(W2)||Jeep Grand Cherokee (CKD Only)|
|2015||(W3)||Jeep Grand Cherokee (Egypt CKD Only)|
|2015||(WK)||Jeep Grand Cherokee|
|2015||(DS)||RAM 1500 Pickup|
|2015||(DJ)||RAM 2500 Pickup|
|2015||(D2)||RAM 3500 Pickup|
|2015||(DX)||RAM Truck (Mexico)|
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: LATAM, APAC and EMEA/(Middle East).
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with one of the following radios:
- Uconnect 8.4 AM/FM/DAB/BT/VOICE (Sales Code RG3).
- Uconnect 8.4AN AM/FM/DAB/BT/NAV/VOICE (Sales Code RG4).
- Uconnect 8.4 AM/FM/BT (Sales Code RJ3).
- Uconnect 8.4N AM/FM/BT/NAV (Sales Code RJ4).
A small number of customers may experience one or more of the following:
- Blind Spot module beep or chime sound may be heard continuously (KL Only).
- Radio may keep the CAN bus network awake, causing a battery drain.
- Voice Recognition (VR) to set temperature, will indicate wrong setting to rear seat temperature.
- Not possible to set temperature in degrees Celsius using the VR (UK vehicles only).
- Teleprompter does not appear when pressing the VR button.
- VR operation cancels while in media mode.
- Radio may display camera’s previous image before displaying the current image.
- Navigation lost vehicle position during route calculation.
- Navigation displays are missing after vehicle heading changes.
- Navigation giving incorrect guidance to exit the highway.
- FM audio may switch to AM after ignition cycle.
- Text messages appear as sender’s phone number, not their name.
- VR phone button may not work at times.
- Audio muted after AUX device is disconnected.
- VR “Listen” to text will only play 1st message.
- Drive Mode: Eco, Sport or Normal setting may not be saved after key cycle (LA, LD, LX and ZD Only).
- Drive Mode: Shift light On/Off, out of sync (LA, LD, LX and ZD Only).
- Speed adjusted volume may not work.
- AM/FM seek or tuner soft keys may be missing.
- Display screen shows ambient temperature as ”- - “ not normal values.
- User can pair iPhone with Uconnect via Bluetooth and talk to Siri through Uconnect.
- HVAC temperature out of sync with radio display (KL Only).
- Spanish translation.
- Radio station, scroll feature.
- Drive Mode: Launch control button, text improvements (LA, LD, LX and ZD Only).
- Displays correct media, song titles and tracks.
- Incoming calls, audio enhancements (LA, LD and LX Only).
- Audio for strong AM stations.
- VR performance.
- Settings can only be changed in run mode, not ACC.
- Notify user when messaging features are not supported on certain phones/devices.
- Shows direction and distance for POI when using VR.
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify all related systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs or symptom conditions, other than the ones listed above are present, record the issues on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.
CAUTION: This software update is only compatible with the 2015 model year vehicles listed above. Attempting to flash a 2013-2014 model year vehicle with this software will result in a loss of some radio/navigation functions. Should this occur reinstalling the correct software for the radio will correct the condition.
- Has the USB flash drive been created?
- Yes >>> Proceed to Step #5.
- No >>> Proceed to Step #2.
- Go to **DealerCONNECT>Service>Uconnect Command Center>Uconnect>More Information >Dealer software downloads** to download the files.
- If a security message appears “Do you want to view only the web page content that was delivered securely?” see (Fig 1). Press No to continue.
Fig. 1 Pop-up Security Message
NOTE: If the dealer cannot download the software, make sure you have proper security access. If not, have the Service Manager or Shop Foreman download the software update.
- To download the software files to a USB flash drive, follow the on-screen instructions and perform the following.
- Acquire a blank USB flash drive with at least 4 Gb of space.
- Download the software update file to your local PC's desktop.
- Be sure to extract the file before copying it to the blank USB flash drive.
- A blank USB flash drive will be needed one for each radio update, additional updates can not be on the same USB flash drive.
- Once the file is saved to the USB flash drive, it is recommended you physically labelthe USB flash drive with the bulletin number and proper radio sales codes.
NOTE: The vehicle must be in Customer Mode to update the radio.
- Start the vehicle and check if it is still in ship mode. This will be displayed in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC).
- Is the vehicle in Ship Mode?
- Yes >>> Proceed to Step #7.
- No >>> Proceed to Step #8.
- Press and hold the ‘Enter/Browse’ button and the ‘Front Defrost’ (about 5 seconds) until “Ship Mode” is no longer displayed on the instrument cluster, see ( 2).
Fig. 2 Take Vehicle Out of Ship Mode
- With the engine running and radio powered on, insert the correct USB flash drive with new software into the USB port.
- The next screen display will have the old and new software levels. The radio will be updated to 16.16.13.
- Is the radio at software level 16.16.13 or higher?
- Press the soft key “Yes” to start the update.
NOTE: If the software update process is interrupted, aborted or failed, the process should be restarted.
NOTE: Do not cycle the ignition or touch the radio during the update process.
- The update may take up to 18 minutes to load. No other actions will be needed toinitiate the update.
- After the update is done, the screen will display the software levels again.
- Press “No” and turn the vehicle off. Open and close the driver’s door and let the Busgo to sleep.
NOTE: Make sure to leave ignition off, do not press the brake, and do not reopen any doors, so the modules will go to sleep.
- Cycle the ignition on, then back off one more time. Open and close the driver’s doorand let the Bus go to sleep. This will complete the radio update.
- Remove the USB flash drive.
- Does the vehicle have Blind Spot Monitor/Cross Path Detection (Sales Code XAN)?
- Yes >>> Proceed to Step #18.
- No >>> This bulletin has been completed.
- Go into the radio Settings menu and select Safety & Driving Assistance. Locate theBlind Spot Alert feature and tun on the “Lights + Chimes” option.
- This bulletin has been completed.
NOTE: If the vehicle needs to be put back into Ship Mode, press and hold the ‘Enter/Browse’ button and the ‘Front Defrost’ (about 5 seconds) until “Ship Mode” is displayed on the instrument cluster.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
|Labor Operation No:||Description||Skill Category||Amount|
|18-60-02-KD||Radio, Check Software Level and, Perform Software Update (0 - Introduction)||6 - Electrical and Body
|18-60-02-GE||Radio, Software - Create USB flash drive, Uconnnect Website (One Time Only) (0 - Introduction)||6 - Electrical and Body
NOTE: The “One Time Only” LOP is used one time per dealer when downloading the software onto a USB flash drive. The dealer can only use the download LOP, one time for each of the radios listed.
NOTE: The expected completion time for the flash download portion of this procedure is approximately 19 minutes. Actual flash download times may be affected by vehicle connection and network capabilities.
The dealer must choose which failure code to use. If the customer came in with an issue and the dealer found updated software to correct that issue, use failure code CC, for all other use failure code RF.
- If the customer’s concern matches the SYMPTOM/CONDITION identified in the Service Bulletin, failure code CC is to be used.
- If an available flash is completed while addressing a different customer concern, failure code RF is to be used.